Changes vs Lions - Schaz & Broomy in for Aish & Schade

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said in the Degoey thread it's because it needs to be on the ball. His role shouldn't be chasing down defensively. He needs to be on the bottom of the packs dishing it out.
So we went and paid pick 6 for a slow inside mid just after we recruited Adams? Nah, make all the excuses you like, he's just a s**t player.

Spot on, decision making and skill execution along with double grabbing the ball. He is only 20 though so we need to give him time but yeah I thought it has been a noticeable downside to his game all season. Some players adapt faster then others and some never really do will be interesting to see which way he goes.

His endurance and will to get to contest to contest is excellent and will hold him in good stead in such an endurance based game. Also a decent size but looks a bit one paced in speed department at times imo.

Yep, some good points.

Personally I reckon Phillips is developing beautifully.

Gets the ball stacks for a winger due to an ability to read the play and his physical endurance.

Sure, he makes a few stuff ups, but desperately works his butt off to right the wrong. He doesn't put his head down and sulk like some others.

He has a great work ethic and I think he is the kind of link up player we have been trying to find for quite some time.

I'm less concerned with Phillips' development than I am with finding a more effective best 22 and midfield mix at this point. I think Maynard is just a more dynamic player for the position and offers more drive forward from the wing than Phillips can at this point, in addition to a spot for Scharenberg being opened up in defence, who is a far superior decision maker and more consistent kick coming out of defence. A combination of Berg's, Howe's and Dunn's footskills in our defensive 6 is something I'm genuinely salivating over.

I'm concerned that Shaz as a straight swap in for Maynard makes the defence too tall and lumbering. Would prefer Maynard stay where he is and Howe Goldsack or even Shaz himself play higher up the ground.

As for Phillips I cant see any reason to drop him. There are no obvious ins that force him out and his form has been good if flawed.

I'm concerned that Shaz as a straight swap in for Maynard makes the defence too tall and lumbering. Would prefer Maynard stay where he is and Howe Goldsack or even Shaz himself play higher up the ground.

As for Phillips I cant see any reason to drop him. There are no obvious ins that force him out and his form has been good if flawed.
Scharenberg is only 2cm taller than Maynard, and if you watch his highlights video from this week you would know he's certainly not a slow lumbering type either. He actually looks to have reasonable pace now he's fit again, in addition to some incredible evasiveness.

In terms of Phillips, sometimes you have to sacrifice a player who hasn't really done a whole lot wrong in order to bring in a player that will improve your 22. Particularly when you have a fit list.

It's not going to happen, but it's what I'd do.

Scharenberg is only 2cm taller than Maynard, and if you watch his highlights video from this week you would know he's certainly not a slow lumbering type either. He actually looks to have reasonable pace now he's fit again, in addition to some incredible evasiveness.

In terms of Phillips, sometimes you have to sacrifice a player who hasn't really done a whole lot wrong in order to bring in a player that will improve your 22. Particularly when you have a fit list.

Yep not entirely fussed myself about where they line up as long as they line up...and Shaz is not omitted for "matchup" reasons which have been used before. Anybody who can gather 41 possessions has shown he can play like a small.

Disagree entirely on Phillips though. Nobody in the VFL is demanding his spot and anybody who is demanding a spot should take Blairs spot first.
Phillips like Smith and also Broomhead now back in the VFL are in an unenviable position of having to prove themselves every week whilst other more experienced players (eg Fasolo) get cut extra slack. Thats just the way of the world.

Yep not entirely fussed myself about where they line up as long as they line up...and Shaz is not omitted for "matchup" reasons which have been used before. Anybody who can gather 41 possessions has shown he can play like a small.

Disagree entirely on Phillips though. Nobody in the VFL is demanding his spot and anybody who is demanding a spot should take Blairs spot first.
Phillips like Smith and also Broomhead now back in the VFL are in an unenviable position of having to prove themselves every week whilst other more experienced players (eg Fasolo) get cut extra slack. Thats just the way of the world.
Who said anything about replacing Phillips directly with a player from the VFL?

Who said anything about replacing Phillips directly with a player from the VFL?

Normally when you drop somebody, somebody has to come in to replace them......either from the VFL or the injury list.

Where do you suggest we "bring in a player" (your words) from to replace Phillips? Surely youre not going to start another ridiculous semantics war are you

Normally when you drop somebody, somebody has to come in to replace them......either from the VFL or the injury list.

Where do you suggest we "bring in a player" (your words) from to replace Phillips? Surely youre not going to start another ridiculous semantics war are you
Drop Phillips, push Maynard on to the wing.
Replace Maynard with Scharenberg.
Replace Aish with Ramsay.

Creates a more potent 22 imo. Call it semantics or whatever you want, but in my scenario I'm not replacing Phillips with anyone from the VFL, I'm replacing him with a player already in the best 22 whom I feel would be more effective in his position.

Drop Phillips, push Maynard on to the wing.
Replace Maynard with Scharenberg.
Replace Aish with Ramsay.

Creates a more potent 22 imo. Call it semantics or whatever you want, but in my scenario I'm not replacing Phillips with anyone from the VFL, I'm replacing him with a player already in the best 22 whom I feel would be more effective in his position.

Ramsays in the VFL. As is Sharenburg

So yes its semantics.

Both your recommended ins to replace the outs are coming from the VFL. As usually happens. God knows why you are bothering to argue this point.

Why dont you just agree to disagree for a change?

Or keep your language simpler? '

You want to bring Ramsay in for Phillips, I disagree. Ramsay has played a total of one good game in a row in the VFL and hes not even like for like anyway.

Last edited:
Bearing in mind I/we can still see deleted posts I thought I'd check your claim.
For the record, not one post calling for him to be axed has been deleted.
The only deletions were posters having a crack at each other and they were done by a Mod.
You got me. Guilty as charged

Ramsays in the VFL. As is Sharenburg

So yes its semantics.

Both your recommended ins to replace the outs are coming from the VFL. As usually happens. God knows why you are bothering to argue this point.
Youre the one who said there was no one to replace Phillips' position in the VFL. I'm not replacing Phillips directly with a VFL player, and both Scharenberg and Ramsay are in line for call ups based on their performances this past weekend in the respective positions that open up with Phillips being dropped and Maynard replacing him on a wing.

Keep telling yourself it's semantics though, because I know you can't stand it when you're wrong.

I dont think anybody in the VFL (apart from Shcarenburg, who come in for Aish anyway)) has shown sufficient form to replace Phillips in the senior side. You disagree and thats fine. I wouldnt bring Ramsay in this week. And I wouldnt drop Phillips.

Its really not that difficult to understand what I was saying. And you do understand. Youre not stupid, you just like to attack people for having opinions contrary to yours. And you attack people based on semantics. Then you get even more aggressive when pulled up on it.

Take a deep breath.

I dont think anybody in the VFL (apart from Shcarenburg, who come in for Aish anyway)) has shown sufficient form to replace Phillips in the senior side. You disagree and thats fine. I wouldnt bring Ramsay in this week. And I wouldnt drop Phillips.

Its really not that difficult to understand what I was saying. And you do understand. Youre not stupid, you just like to attack people for having opinions contrary to yours. And you attack people based on semantics. Then you get even more aggressive when pulled up on it.

Take a deep breath.
Wow, you literally just described yourself. Glass houses, etc.

Funny. Almost as funny as when you tried to convince me that promoting Keeffe to the senior list early because he's in our best 30 players was a good idea and relentlessly argued with my perfectly reasonable suggestion that the club should have waited and based the two required promotions on preseason form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take a deep breath.

Broomhead and Thomas were both very good. Thomas can't play without a promotion but there's no reason why Broomy couldn't replace Phillips. Not saying he should or will, just that there are options from the VFL to do the job.

Broomhead and Thomas were both very good. Thomas can't play without a promotion but there's no reason why Broomy couldn't replace Phillips. Not saying he should or will, just that there are options from the VFL to do the job.

Thanks for a rationed argument. Not really hard.... I think Phillips has been progressing well and doesn't need to be dropped this week.

Great too see Thomas playing so well too.

Last edited:
Phillips won't be dropped he got the round 9 rising star nomination.

Aish is injured and the question is who comes in for him. I would like to see Schaz come in for him but I could see Ramsay being selected instead.

The other thing to consider is whether we go a similar forward structure to last week or do we bring in another tall such as Cox. If we bring Cox in who goes out?

Aish is injured and the question is who comes in for him. I would like to see Schaz come in for him but I could see Ramsay being selected instead.

The other thing to consider is whether we go a similar forward structure to last week or do we bring in another tall such as Cox. If we bring Cox in who goes out?
Philips stays in

Yep and he was also twisting turning stepping etc so touch wood his agility is back

Blair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back