Opinion Changes vs lions

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been the same for a few years now. We win the games "we have to win" until we don't.

If you choose to believe that last night's level is going to win us the flag, I won't challenge it. I just hope our coaches are smarter than that.
But then what is a level that is acceptable? The way you describe it, an acceptable level is winning every game by 100 points, or some other feat which hasn't ever been achieved in the history of the game.

Obviously with every game there are some areas of improvement, but you also need to celebrate the victories and the successes. As players, as a club and as fans. If you can't celebrate the victories then what's the point?

Anyway, to conclude, no changes. SPP in as the medical sub, Mayes back to the sanfl. Hopefully SPP either plays and gets good minutes in the 1s or doesn't play and can play a full game of sanfl on sunday.

But then what is a level that is acceptable? The way you describe it, an acceptable level is winning every game by 100 points, or some other feat which hasn't ever been achieved in the history of the game.

Obviously with every game there are some areas of improvement, but you also need to celebrate the victories and the successes. As players, as a club and as fans. If you can't celebrate the victories then what's the point?

Anyway, to conclude, no changes. SPP in as the medical sub, Mayes back to the sanfl. Hopefully SPP either plays and gets good minutes in the 1s or doesn't play and can play a full game of sanfl on sunday.
Spot on.

One of the questions I have, is how much of our 'average' look, comes on the back of actually being super efficient.

Ie. In the past that first term of the Saints would've seen us struggle to score. What we would've done though, was eventually wrestle back some control and create some repeat inside 50s. Instead this time around every time we got forward it felt like we goaled, and it prevented us from giving the defence a rest and creating some repeat entry momentum.

Fast forward a quarter and we did start to be less efficient, and we looked far more dominant as we controlled territory.

So what I'm saying, is this new level of ultra efficiency that we deliver in patches, almost seems to have a side effect of going against our usual style of footy.
I think there is a bit too this. We felt like we were on top when we were locking the ball in our half and generating repeat entries despite not capitalizing on the score board.

Now we are kicking goals and the game is resetting from the middle meaning that sometimes we are having to defend hard and slowly regain lost field position.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I mean no sh*t, you play your best 22. Point me out one player on the weekend who didn't perform their role to a high level. It makes no sense to omit players who are performing at AFL level for a player who had one very good game at SANFL level.
I agree with much of what you say, but SPP is best-22, so if he is judged as ready, he must come in. If you disagree, then ask yourself would you make the same stand if it was Butters who was ready to play next week?

It's been the same for a few years now. We win the games "we have to win" until we don't.

If you choose to believe that last night's level is going to win us the flag, I won't challenge it. I just hope our coaches are smarter than that.
If you dont think this team is good enough to win a flag, you are out there on your own. As reported today, Port have put another 8 months of development into the 2020 team, with Bergman, Jones, and now Frederick grabbing opportunities. And we have bolstered our backline with AA, and our forward line with Fantazia. We arguably could/should have made the GF last year, & would have won it IMO, and this 2021 team is a heck of a lot better than last year.

Sure there is a long way to go, but I just dont get the negativity!

If you dont think this team is good enough to win a flag, you are out there on your own. As reported today, Port have put another 8 months of development into the 2020 team, with Bergman, Jones, and now Frederick grabbing opportunities. And we have bolstered our backline with AA, and our forward line with Fantazia. We arguably could/should have made the GF last year, & would have won it IMO, and this 2021 team is a heck of a lot better than last year.

Sure there is a long way to go, but I just dont get the negativity!
That's exactly the opposite of what I said. But whatever.

If you think last night is as good as we can play, then you are selling the team short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want SPP in, possibly ahead of Drew, but that's no slight on Drew. He is an outstanding fringe 22 player who performs a lot of the thankless tasks like blocking at stoppages creating space for teammates, and winning a lot of his own ball in close. A very handy player who'll get plenty of opportunities as the year goes on.

I'm impressed at how quick SPP got back into form. vs South we hid him on a fwd flank and he was a bit rusty. Then he was a completely different player vs Glenelg. Brought the pressure and ran his guts out all day.

can’t get a read on this game.

I’ll join the SSP camp if he is AFL fit.

thoughts on Mackenzie? Brisbane are still very talks

Out - woodcock, Freddy
In - SPP, rockliffe

I want a more experienced team out there now. Freddy had a great debut, but will get his chance later. I was a bit drunk during lastweeks game, but can't really recall woodcock doing anything special

In: SPP
Out : Mayes

F Georgiades Dixon Gray
HF Fantasia Marshall Rozzee
C Amon Wines Motlop
HB Burton Aliir Bergman
FB DBJ Clurey Jonas

1R Lycett, Boak, Houston

Int: Hartlett, Woodcock, Frederick, SPP

Med sub: Drew

Emeg: Rockliff, Hayes, Mayes

Wondering if Hayes could come in this week as a second ruck?

If you think last night is as good as we can play, then you are selling the team short.
I really have no idea what you are moaning about then! Sitting back watching that game, I saw a complete team performance. I didnt really see one passenger or weak link ... and normally I have at least one, on average around three! Could we have played better? Probably. There is always room for improvement. There were also about 4 shots at goal that were gimmies, and we missed.

There are some concerns in our midfield still, with some centre clearances that the Saints got too easily. But we have two top-line players in SPP & Butters to come back in, and you can add Duursma into that mix as a wing. Despite that amount of quality on the sidelines, their replacements have done a great job of playing their role. That is all that we can expect.

At times we can be schizophrenic here on this board. Last week it was "Gee this is a danger game" ... "We dont match up well" ... "I will be happy with a 10 point win." Then this week it's, "Well we only beat them by 9 goals" ... "That's not good enough."

With 4 first-22 players out injured, and a few others that are beat up & carrying injuries, that was a damn good win!

Out - woodcock, Freddy
In - SPP, rockliffe

I want a more experienced team out there now. Freddy had a great debut, but will get his chance later. I was a bit drunk during lastweeks game, but can't really recall woodcock doing anything special

Absolutely no hope of Frederick getting dropped. We actually have a serious job for him on Cameron that he can do and could possibly be the highlight of the game. He does that job well we've got a spot for him every week.

There is room for improvement for sure but who said that that's the level we have to play at to win a premiership? I think you invented your own point to argue against.

You're never going to find out how to win a flag by beating a bottom 8 team because the only way to test yourself is against contenders. Hell, even Geelong's thumping of West Coast, whilst impressive, doesn't mean anything towards the end of the year as history shows. I hope you weren't fooled by that.

Just chill and take it as it comes. We're growing and will be getting players back from injury and putting ourselves in the best position to contend. What more can you ask for?

Last edited:
Absolutely no hope of Frederick getting dropped. We actually have a serious job for him on Cameron that he can do and could possibly be the highlight of the game. He does that job well we've got a spot for him every week.

And if he totally balls it up? Big responsibility for a second gamer with big potential consequences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back