Prediction Changes vs Lions

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
It will be interesting to see how the VFL boys go today. In particular Bruce and Hunter. At least one player will get the call up to replace Richards. You'd have to assume it's Hunter if he plays reasonably well today.

Out: Richards
In: Hunter

Here's where it starts to get interesting. If Josh Bruce has a good game then surely we have to bring him back. But who can we drop? It can't be Schache after that game. Marra would be incredibly stiff. And we also have to consider big Timmy. Assuming everyone is fit and available the tall forward and ruck mix to choose from might be:

Naughts, Schache, Jamarra, Bruce, Sweet and English.

I can't see us picking more than four of those six. Darcy has to be getting close to earning a debut as well but he is competing with our key backs. Zaine Cordy must be feeling nervous about his career at the Dogs with what is now a plethora of tall options.

DueWest

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bruce isn’t playing today

Out Richards. McComb

In Hunter and Bendendo or Wallis

Weightman clearly wasn’t right last night so will be interesting to see if he can play with injury or require a few weeks off

Sounds like English will miss again

Last edited:

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It will be interesting to see how the VFL boys go today. In particular Bruce and Hunter. At least one player will get the call up to replace Richards. You'd have to assume it's Hunter if he plays reasonably well today.

Here's where it starts to get interesting. If Josh Bruce has a good game then surely we have to bring him back. But who can we drop? It can't be Schache after that game. Marra would be incredibly stiff. And we also have to consider big Timmy. Assuming everyone is fit and available the tall forward and ruck mix to choose from might be:

I can't see us picking more than four of those six. Darcy has to be getting close to earning a debut as well but he is competing with our key backs. Zaine Cordy must be feeling nervous about his career at the Dogs with what is now a plethora of tall options.

As poor as some of our taller defenders have been over recent weeks, I reckon Darcy is still a while away from debuting.

He’s contributing in the air and with ball in hand, but his 1v1 defending needs a fair amount of improvement. It’s almost non existent. He’s physically so raw.

Can’t see a debut till the early stages next season, at the very earliest.

Bruce has hamstring tightness and won't be in the mix for senior selection for a month I'd suggest.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I find it hard to justify dropping McComb. He is pushing into defence and assisting with ground balls. I think we all might have egg on our faces by the end of his career.

I really want to fit Bedendo into the squad but everyone is performing strong enough at this stage.

Cleary to come in for Richards for mine.

l
As poor as some of our taller defenders have been over recent weeks, I reckon Darcy is still a while away from debuting.

He’s contributing in the air and with ball in hand, but his 1v1 defending needs a fair amount of improvement. It’s almost non existent. He’s physically so raw.

For what it's worth (not much) the VFL team announcement has Darcy at FF this week.

Let's see who puts their hand up against Box Hawthorn. Definitely an opening for Cleary if he has recovered OK from Covid. Roarke is a spare parts man who might do a better job in defence than Scott. Or Buku is a taller option who will take intercept marks but might not stick tackles and can't chase as well as some others will. My worry is that Cleary will be gassed today from having Covid. And might not be much better by Thursday.

Also we really should be giving Weightman a rest. We're not doing him or the side any favours by asking him to compete one-handed. So perhaps Scott goes forward and Hunter to a wing?

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have a different feeling with Schache this time around.
He's more aggressive and is influencing games when the contest is hot.

I thought his ruck work was particularly good last night.

Granted it hasn't been against the strongest of opposition.

We might've already found our Bruce replacement.

I thought McComb played quite well. Any reason everyone is dropping him apart from the group think, McComb derangement syndrome and laziness?
There are three schools of medical thought on McComb Derangement Syndrome.
One school feels that BF has it.
Another school feels that Bevo has it.
There's also a small school of opinion that feels that McComb has it when lining up for goal.

Awaiting more field research.

I thought McComb played quite well. Any reason everyone is dropping him apart from the group think, McComb derangement syndrome and laziness?
McComb will never wash off the stink of his nervous first game or not coming to the game via the usual routes with some in here.

He's been pretty solid over the past couple of weeks and it will take a player at Footscray absolutely banging down the door or the return of Bailey Smith to replace him in a side that is finally starting to get a settled look about it.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
l

For what it's worth (not much) the VFL team announcement has Darcy at FF this week.

Let's see who puts their hand up against Box Hawthorn. Definitely an opening for Cleary if he has recovered OK from Covid. Roarke is a spare parts man who might do a better job in defence than Scott. Or Buku is a taller option who will take intercept marks but might not stick tackles and can't chase as well as some others will. My worry is that Cleary will be gassed today from having Covid. And might not be much better by Thursday.

Also we really should be giving Weightman a rest. We're not doing him or the side any favours by asking him to compete one-handed. So perhaps Scott goes forward and Hunter to a wing?

I think he’s been named up Fwd the last few weeks. I hope that’s where he starts, keen to see how he goes up the other end.

Agree on Weightman. Although, if he’s not playing, they might opt for surgery. Was a strange performance last night considering he was given the green light to play. I guess he wasn’t right. Medicos/trainers dropped the ball on that one maybe.

Hoping for another decent return from Bedendo. He’s edging closer every week and the improvement in his form is exactly what you see from players nearing a call up. He’s versatility also means magnets can be easily manoeuvred to cover other roles.

Having said that, Hunters still to come in and Bruce eventually. Potentially McLean also. Unless we lose more to injury, that might be it for debutants and your Cleary/Rourke types. Especially considering our upturn in form the last month or so.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors

Agree with this. This kid is a huge talent, but not ready for AFL. He would be like Bamby thrown to the wolves. Will take a while to develop. Cannot see him playing this year. I also saw Hunter at WO. He looks ready imo. Should be in the side next week.

Aug 31, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have a different feeling with Schache this time around.
He's more aggressive and is influencing games when the contest is hot.

I thought his ruck work was particularly good last night.

Granted it hasn't been against the strongest of opposition.

We might've already found our Bruce replacement.
I pray

I can accept a loss at the Gabba but please don’t let downhill skiers like Hipwood and Cameron torch us.

Cameron already worries me, Duryea & Richards are our 2 best match ups for him and they are both injured.

Back