Analysis Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the point in dropping Masten for a WAFL bye week and then picking him again for the next AFL game?

Unlikely he’s been picked in the 22.

I wonder if Hickey’s been named just to play silly buggers with Melbourne? They’ll fly tomorrow before the AFL side is named.

Unlikely he’s been picked in the 22.

I wonder if Hickey’s been named just to play silly buggers with Melbourne? They’ll fly tomorrow before the AFL side is named.

Even holding him over as the emergency would be stupid, he's not going to find form in the stands. Unless they've decided they prefer the midfield balance as it is, don't care how well he does in the WAFL for the rest of the year, and are holding him simply as a mature body who can slip in in the event Shuey's leg falls off in the warm-up.

Hungrytiger likes (part) of this.

Even holding him over as the emergency would be stupid, he's not going to find form in the stands. Unless they've decided they prefer the midfield balance as it is, don't care how well he does in the WAFL for the rest of the year, and are holding him simply as a mature body who can slip in in the event Shuey's leg falls off in the warm-up.

Hungrytiger likes (part) of this.

There’s 26 likely players who haven’t been named in the WAFL side, so my guess is that all the emergencies have been left out at this stage.

The club’s website article confirms as much:

Attachments

• 80261981-D79E-42C6-B542-85138FED9929.png
    80261981-D79E-42C6-B542-85138FED9929.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 165

I reckon Masten and Brander to go into the WAFL, Smith held over for emergency. Masten in the WAFL to work on whatever he’s been told to work on, Brander to the backline.

Rioli in for Waterman who loses a week of footy to compound the frustrating managing of him in the AFL.

I reckon Masten and Brander to go into the WAFL, Smith held over for emergency. Masten in the WAFL to work on whatever he’s been told to work on, Brander to the backline.

Rioli in for Waterman who loses a week of footy to compound the frustrating managing of him in the AFL.

Waterman’s missed two of the last four weeks, surely he’ll play somewhere this week. Two games in five weeks would be appalling.

Agree Smith is the most likely standby.

I can't see Masten coming back in for a few weeks unless there's injuries, you can't work on something within a week and nail it to such an extent you're an automatic inclusion.

Only injuries or perhaps a very specific match up would bring him back that quickly, I don't expect anyone needs to worry about it for now.

I agree Hickey should play, has been head and shoulders above Vardy. There may be issues with the amount of managed time needed between Hickey and Rioli if both were selected, be interested to see what the coaches go with.

Why would Smith and Masten both be emergencies? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

If Masten has been dropped in the same way Sheed was last year where he can get a reprieve at the last minute if there is an injury then why is Smith an emergency? Just to fill spots because it doesn't matter so much if he doesn't get any game time?

On the other hand if Masten has to play twos, why name him as an emergency at all when Smith is there as cover?

I'm probably thinking about it too much especially given teams haven't even come out yet. It has felt like a long wait for tomorrow night.

Hickey named in the WAFL... surely if fit he plays in support of Vardy or as a replacement for him. I dont get it.

Likewise Masten should be nowhere near this team but seeing he's not playing tonight we can only assume he's cover in case of rain or an undiscosed injury. Again I dont get it. If its raining we need contested ground level players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interested to see whether Rioli actually plays tonight or tomorrow.. I'll be pretty delighted to see him out there as I'm still adamant he is no chance for Friday night.

Gaff apparently told Mix 94.5 that he’s definitely playing Friday.

Seems optimistic for a night game!
True! The way this season is going nothing is a given! We are winning ugly;but we are winning! The big question we are all asking is "do we have another gear"?? Well actually the answer to that is obviously yes! Its more "can we find that gear when we need it"??

Poor Sanchez

Masten is too good to play WAFL after all he has achieved ...
Gaffy in trouble again spilling the beans on Rioli playing ....

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back