Preview Changes vs North Melbourne

Gawn was getting targeted a bit, might be a good time to rest him.

If Preuss is fit I reckon play him and just have him be physical against Goldstein and direct the mids not to expect to win the tap. Might be good for some learnings.

Alternatively Tmac could run with him and try and tag him. Might keep up with him better but lose every tap and risk a few more contested marks.
Goldstein is handy at drifting forward for a goal or two. Will need someone to cover him closely for that.

Hasn't Preuss slimmed down a bit this year? might have the fitness to go with Goldstein who's also backing up off a short turnaround. North are a bit thin around the ball at the moment so may be able to use Preuss this Sunday to rest Max.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
The more I think about it, we literally only played Max because we needed a win so desperately and he's the skipper.

Otherwise you always rest him ahead of Goldstein & Grundy in succession, with short turnarounds and his injury.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's not that dumb to say Tmac can't play back.

We've got Lever and May back there, they're building chemistry. Tmac hasn't trained as a back in 2+ years, you don't just throw someone back there for the sake of it.

If Lever or May get injured - maybe.

Don't need to shoehorn an out of form Tmac into the side just because. Jackson will need a break at some stage, he can wait until then tbh

Relatively speaking Gawn should also be more rested than both Goldy and Grundy too - North has to fly before Sunday and Collingwood have two days less break than us.

It's not that dumb to say Tmac can't play back.

We've got Lever and May back there, they're building chemistry. Tmac hasn't trained as a back in 2+ years, you don't just throw someone back there for the sake of it.

If Lever or May get injured - maybe.

Don't need to shoehorn an out of form Tmac into the side just because. Jackson will need a break at some stage, he can wait until then tbh

I thought Tomlinson was fine, in fact I really like him back there given his versatility and ball use the majority of the time. Reckon he's found his spot with us.

We are just going to have to face facts. Jones or Brayshaw will be playing on a wing opposite Clangdon for the rest of the season I think.

People are aware Tomlinson played tall in defense last night yea? Not sure where this clamouring for Oscar and TMac has come from. Backline was fine.

Gawn was getting targeted a bit, might be a good time to rest him.

If Preuss is fit I reckon play him and just have him be physical against Goldstein and direct the mids not to expect to win the tap. Might be good for some learnings.

Alternatively Tmac could run with him and try and tag him. Might keep up with him better but lose every tap and risk a few more contested marks.

I do like the idea of playing TMac in the ruck with Jackson if we want to give Gawn a break. No need to worry about him getting injured like we once did.

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
Goodwin was asked during the week if he'd considered playing TMac in defence and he emphatically said "No, he's a forward". I'd love to see him played there, but it doesn't look like happening any time soon. Also there was an "In the mix" article during the week which highlighted a handful of players, one of which was Jason Jordon. It seems he's very close to debuting and given the energy being shown by our younger players now might be the time.

ANB seems certain to be suspended, but should be dropped anyway and I feel AVB has to go too. He tackles like a fanatic, but his disposal is terrible and potentially very costly. Love the Bennell story, but he looked way off the pace yesterday. Hannan has to come back. He was playing well prior to his last game and I don't think people fully appreciate his importance to the functioning of our forward line. Probably need Oscar back as well. He was also playing surprisingly well prior to the Port game and his presence frees up Lever to play his intercept game. Don't agree with the knocks on Jones. Yes, he's slow, but he always was. At least his disposal is generally accurate and creative, which is more than you can say for many of his teammates. Thought Harmes and Sparrow were pretty good this week and they should be safe. Gawn needs a rest to get fully fit, but I can't see it happening.

Out: ANB, AVB, Bennell
In: Hannan, Jordon, OMac

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Too busy feverishly masturbating over Oliver's dream team and supercoach points to notice. 😂
Speaking of, I've got pjfairbairn in the ToumpBowl this week who had him as Captain ... although it's almost wasted, as with 4 clubs having the bye, I've only got 13 players playing against 18, and was no chance anyway!

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Out: ANB (suspended/omitted), vandenBerg (omitted/injured), Harmes (omitted)

In: Preuss, Jordon & 1 x Hannan/Kozzie/Bedford/Rivers/Hunt

Tomlinson further up the ground and Gawn to defence so he can take second tall forward. Don't see the point in simply resting Gawn. He has the ability to offer something in defence in what might be a quieter game.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Speaking of, I've got pjfairbairn in the ToumpBowl this week who had him as Captain ... although it's almost wasted, as with 4 clubs having the bye, I've only got 13 players playing against 18, and was no chance anyway!

I've really hit my straps, but I don't know if everybody else is even playing... hence the lack of chat from me!

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Tomlinson did his job. In fact the wings work well with Tomlinson drifting back and Langdon drifting forward. Langdon should have had 2 goals last night. Missed 2 sitters. No need to play Omac or TMac as a defender if Tomlinson plays that role. It might even free up Gawn to drift forward more.

Anyone suggesting Harmes of Brayshaw play wing is an idiot. Brayshaw proved in the 2nd half(last quarter in particular), that he should be in the guts. He doesn't really have any other position. Viney, Oliver or Trac can rotate forward if needed when Gus is on ball. Harmes actually did some nice things defensively last night although i still feel he should be used as a defensive forward. He's capable of taking a mark and kicking a couple of snags.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
OUT- ANB, Jones, AVB

IN- Pickett, Rivers Hannan

B- Lockhart May Hibberd
HB- Sparrow Lever Tomlinson
C- Langdon Oliver Salem
HF- Melksham Jackson Fritsch
F- Pickett Weideman Bennell
R- Gawn Viney Petracca
I- Brayshaw Harmes Rivers Hannan

Salem has been horrible under pressure lately, been getting caught a lot. i'd move him up to the wing and see if he can find bit more room to operate in out there instead.
Pickett straight swap for ANB.
i'd like to see some more fresh legs brought into the team at the expense of a couple of old boys with the quick turn around in mind, so i'd also bring in Rivers for Jones, and Hannan for either AVB or possibly Bennell. those two looked pretty flat last night as it was, so i'm not sure if they'll both manage to back up again on the weekend.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
People are aware Tomlinson played tall in defense last night yea? Not sure where this clamouring for Oscar and TMac has come from. Backline was fine.

Cause Tomlinson should be on the wing, not saying he was bad down there, but some would still prefer him on the wing

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Out: ANB (suspended/omitted), vandenBerg (omitted/injured), Harmes (omitted)

In: Preuss, Jordon & 1 x Hannan/Kozzie/Bedford/Rivers/Hunt

Tomlinson further up the ground and Gawn to defence so he can take second tall forward. Don't see the point in simply resting Gawn. He has the ability to offer something in defence in what might be a quieter game.

You’re seriously suggesting moving Gawn to defence for this game?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
OUT- ANB, Jones, AVB

IN- Pickett, Rivers Hannan

B- Lockhart May Hibberd
HB- Sparrow Lever Tomlinson
C- Langdon Oliver Salem
HF- Melksham Jackson Fritsch
F- Pickett Weideman Bennell
R- Gawn Viney Petracca
I- Brayshaw Harmes Rivers Hannan

Salem has been horrible under pressure lately, been getting caught a lot. i'd move him up to the wing and see if he can find bit more room to operate in out there instead.
Pickett straight swap for ANB.
i'd like to see some more fresh legs brought into the team at the expense of a couple of old boys with the quick turn around in mind, so i'd also bring in Rivers for Jones, and Hannan for either AVB or possibly Bennell. those two looked pretty flat last night as it was, so i'm not sure if they'll both manage to back up again on the weekend.
Totally agree with these changes. Still not sure about the backline, but happy to persist until my fav Marty Hore if fit.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
The more I think about it, we literally only played Max because we needed a win so desperately and he's the skipper.

Otherwise you always rest him ahead of Goldstein & Grundy in succession, with short turnarounds and his injury.

Think this is tricky because we're more likely to beat North than Collingwood, and it's must win this weekend or it gets very tough from there.

I reckon it's gotta be a case of whether Gawn can get up this weekend because if he can then we have to roll the dice. If we win this weekend and then he needs a rest, we can do that against the Pies, would be a longer rest also.

It all comes down to Gawn and the medicos this week I think. It's a really hard call. He may just keeping playing on through because he's the captain and he won't take no for an answer anyway.

Back