Strategy Changes vs Pies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not so sure. you probably need 2 talls to combat cox anyway. one to play on him and engage him to stop him jumping at it and the other to spoil over the top. 2 tall defenders is the right balance for the team. you don't want to be chopping and changing how many talls you play in defence every week to suit the oppo. you want to be keeping the back 6 solid as much as you can imo.

You don’t need to double team cox

We are only “chopping” and “changing” because of the injury to lever.

You don’t need to double team cox

We are only “chopping” and “changing” because of the injury to lever.
so do you want to play out the year with 1 tall defender? if not then what you're saying to me is you'd prefer to chop n change to suit other teams forward lines.
if we go in with 1 tall defender next week, then i'd be licking my lips if I was buckley and would play cox out of the goal square all day.

so do you want to play out the year with 1 tall defender? if not then what you're saying to me is you'd prefer to chop n change to suit other teams forward lines.
if we go in with 1 tall defender next week, then i'd be licking my lips if I was buckley and would play cox out of the goal square all day.

A misunderstanding then....it’s the changes pies thread not who is levers replacement thread.

For mine Wagner or hunt plays next week. There won’t be someone who comes on our list to replace lever permanently. So it will be a bit of a mix and match but agree not to change week to week. Goodwin has shown this year he keeps the faith.

A misunderstanding then....it’s the changes pies thread not who is levers replacement thread.

For mine Wagner or hunt plays next week. There won’t be someone who comes on our list to replace lever permanently. So it will be a bit of a mix and match but agree not to change week to week. Goodwin has shown this year he keeps the faith.
not sure what you mean when you say "it will be a bit of mix n match but agree not to change week to week". its a bit of a confusing message.
why wouldn't someone come in to replace Lever permanently?
he's out for at least a year, with no guarantee he'll even be back at all. we cant just have makeshift structures/players filling in and waiting for the day Lever makes a return. there's plenty of time for someone to permanently take that KPD spot in the team, if they're good enough.
all I am saying is picking one of Petty, Frost, Keilty or J.Smith to play KPD vs the Pies and sticking with the same structures for the rest of the year would make more sense to me than changing it up for a big or small all the time.

i'm not so sure. you probably need 2 talls to combat cox anyway. one to play on him and engage him to stop him jumping at it and the other to spoil over the top. 2 tall defenders is the right balance for the team. you don't want to be chopping and changing how many talls you play in defence every week to suit the oppo. you want to be keeping the back 6 solid as much as you can imo.

Talking about Cox, the one thing we don't want to do on Monday is chop his arms at all, I reckon the umpires will go to town on us if they see it

not sure what you mean when you say "it will be a bit of mix n match but agree not to change week to week". its a bit of a confusing message.
why wouldn't someone come in to replace Lever permanently?
he's out for at least a year, with no guarantee he'll even be back at all. we cant just have makeshift structures/players filling in and waiting for the day Lever makes a return. there's plenty of time for someone to permanently take that KPD spot in the team, if they're good enough.
all I am saying is picking one of Petty, Frost, Keilty or J.Smith to play KPD vs the Pies and sticking with the same structures for the rest of the year would make more sense to me than changing it up for a big or small all the time.

First of all Lever will be back after 12 months.

I just don’t see petty frost Keilty smith playing the remainder of the year. Clubs have shown you can buck the traditional trends of footy. Look at Richmond last year when their second tall went down they just didn’t shove a second tall for the sake of it. They adapted.

First of all Lever will be back after 12 months.

I just don’t see petty frost Keilty smith playing the remainder of the year. Clubs have shown you can buck the traditional trends of footy. Look at Richmond last year when their second tall went down they just didn’t shove a second tall for the sake of it. They adapted.
I’ll take it you’ve never played much footy as a defender...

Mostly as a mid, but I have and do play back ......so go on..?

I take it you've never played bocce as an old age pensioner...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah pick the 2nd tall. No need to give away our height advantage by picking a small, if we pressure up the field then we can use the 2nd tall to intercept mark and rebound. It was part of the reason we scored so heavily the last month was because we were intercepting.

Joel Smith might be the man.

Smith in for Lever. If Bull isn’t right after that whiplash incident (looked terrible but he played the game out) I’d bring in Balic for a run.

Right now the Pies only have 1 KPD, and it's Dunny.

Hogan and TMac are going to have a field day around the ground...

Scharenberg plays as the second key back I believe, goes ok but not sure what his tank is like in terms of matching our running machine KPFs.

Seemed like they missed Howe yesterday too, he should return for the game Monday but huge result for us if he doesn't. Very important player.

Collingwood don't tag so Gus and Oliver should have another field day which means I can't see the pies stopping our contested game. Hopefully we are smart enough not to get done with a bunch of chopping the arm free kicks.

I seem to forget my disdain for Collingwood and their supporters when we’re not playing them - likely because they lack relevance and their only key forward is an AFL-endorsed novelty act.

Five minutes of reading their board serves as a good reminder.

At least we had 90% game time to figure out how to set up without Lever, it gave the coaches a chance to see what may or may not work. Fritsch and Harmes spent time across half back as defensive wingers.

I know Tmac won't start in the backline but with his big tank he could roll back there at stages when he goes into his wing rotation, particularly if the pies kick a couple in a row.

Clearances will be crucial if we allow the pies first hands on the footy and a free run to the forward line, then it will expose our backline.

In theory it should be like the dogs game but with Scharenberg instead of Dale Morris. TMac and Hogan took turns clowning the plodder. Love Dunny but if our guys don't try to wrestle, he's going to get cooked on the run.

Last edited:
In theory it should be like the dogs game but with Scharenberg instead of Dale Morris. TMac and Hogan took turns clowning the plodder. Love Dunny but if our guys don't try to wrestle, he's going to get cooked on the run.
Morris dominated us for a while, before we realised you can't let him zone off because he kills every contest. Engage him one on one, and he's a bit too old to keep up. He's definitely not a plodder, I wish we had a few more like him and Jones over the years. This is my greatest ever Grand Final moment. Sums up the Dogs that year, just a shame most of them have stopped trying.

Morris dominated us for a while, before we realised you can't let him zone off because he kills every contest. Engage him one on one, and he's a bit too old to keep up. He's definitely not a plodder, I wish we had a few more like him and Jones over the years. This is my greatest ever Grand Final moment. Sums up the Dogs that year, just a shame most of them have stopped trying.

Nah, Trengove is the plodder. We seemed to play through whoever didn't have Morris on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back