Preview Changes vs Port Adelaide - Rd 10, 2020 Mon @7:10

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good point. I didn't realise Trengove had that extra four kilograms on Keath. Here I was thinking they were going to play a game of football but clearly they're just going to wrestle, in which case skill and intelligence are irrelevant.

You chose to comment on my point that Charlie was going to monster us and suggested Trengove should have stayed in. We really have nobody Dixon's size but Trengove was our best physical option. He played on him last season and Charlie beat him and kicked 2 goals but Trenners did a pretty fair job. Do I think he has the ability of Keath no but Keath could be used to intercept/double team him.

I noticed you like our team selection so much you are predicting a 40 point defeat.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
You chose to comment on my point that Charlie was going to monster us and suggested Trengove should have stayed in. We really have nobody Dixon's size but Trengove was our best physical option. He played on him last season and Charlie beat him and kicked 2 goals but Trenners did a pretty fair job. Do I think he has the ability of Keath no but Keath could be used to intercept/double team him.

I noticed you like our team selection so much you are predicting a 40 point defeat.

That game was played in the heaviest rain I've ever seen at a game of footy. Caleb Daniel could have kept Dixon to two goals that night. I think our selection is spot on, I just don't think we have a very good list. If we had selected Trengove I'd have predicted a 100 point loss.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That game was played in the heaviest rain I've ever seen at a game of footy. Caleb Daniel could have kept Dixon to two goals that night. I think our selection is spot on, I just don't think we have a very good list. If we had selected Trengove I'd have predicted a 100 point loss.

Ok whatever you say. Quote you Trengove makes us a 10 goal worst side.

Last edited:

Northern Dogs

All Australian
Jul 9, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wouldn't have minded seeing Sweet having a go this week, especially in his home state and the travel / turn around time etc. Once again an emergency, so perhaps he will be a late inclusion depending on the conditions. I agree that we look a bit short up forward though, so would keep English in. Perhaps Lloyd or Richards should have a rest as they both really haven't offered much this year.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Concerned about our forward line tomorrow night. Bruce gets a gun backman in Jonas. Most likely Double teamed and he is struggling a little. If English needs to rest on the pine, then what?

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Thank god Dunkley is back. He has been missed.

A little surprised that Trengove was left out, thought he would have been used for Dixon. Keath is an excellent defender but don’t think he’ll be able to handle Dixon’s size. Struggled with Lynch last week and was never great at Adelaide when he had to go up a weight class. More will do with how much pressure we can put on the ball carrier and I don’t mind us backing our back 7 in, they’ve been excellent this season.

Port looked unbelievable against a very poor Melbourne team. Think they’ll give us a bath if we perform like we did on Wednesday. Think we are right in with a shot if we play near our best.

Port's backline is extremely well organised and our forwardline just hasn't kicked into gear this year.

Poor Bruce is on a hiding to nothing as the sole tall target. He'll work his arse off all night, constantly double-teamed, then cop it from supporters for not kicking a bag.
Bont has to play half forward. His marking has been outstanding this year even if he's probably down in every other category. His delivery into the F50 is excellent, kicking for goal diabolical. The bonus is he gets to win clearances if there's a ball up or throw in in our forward half.

Port do have some real marking power in the front half. Marshall is quality, Westhoff has been down but we're the type of team to play him into form. Big night for Crozier/Wood as if our interceptors can get involved we're half a chance.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Port's backline is extremely well organised and our forwardline just hasn't kicked into gear this year.

Poor Bruce is on a hiding to nothing as the sole tall target. He'll work his arse off all night, constantly double-teamed, then cop it from supporters for not kicking a bag.
Bont has to play half forward. His marking has been outstanding this year even if he's probably down in every other category. His delivery into the F50 is excellent, kicking for goal diabolical. The bonus is he gets to win clearances if there's a ball up or throw in in our forward half.

Port do have some real marking power in the front half. Marshall is quality, Westhoff has been down but we're the type of team to play him into form. Big night for Crozier/Wood as if our interceptors can get involved we're half a chance.

Marshall is injured did you mean Dixon.

go the dogs

All Australian
Apr 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Trengove touched up Tom Lynch last year. kept him goal less. My guess is he is similar size to Dixon Dixon maybe a few Kgs heavier. If we play Trengove on him Keath can give a chop out. No other real dangerous tall for them. georgiades only a 5 or so game player

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You can call him soft and is known to shirk a contest every now and then but am I the only one that thinks we are a better side with Schache in the team? He has actual natural forward instincts and we just seem to be a more cohesive forward unit when is he in the team. He is smart with his leading patterns and this is evident when you actually go to the games as well

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dunkley is a key addition, Suckling a key subtraction.

Trengove a loss of size and experience in Defence, Weightman a gain in pace and goal sense.

Gowers was struggling for form, replaced by Roarke Smith who has always struggled for form at senior level.

Not convinced we are fielding a significantly stronger team, but still looking forward to an improved showing.
It would be hard for the umpires to be worse than last week.
Our form line has been up and down, let's hope tonight is an upswing.

I have not been a fan of Roarke Smith, in fact I've been quite critical of his selection in the past. However, he did show significant improvement in the preseason matches and we are playing the same team against which he produced his best senior game.

go the dogs

All Australian
Apr 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You can call him soft and is known to shirk a contest every now and then but am I the only one that thinks we are a better side with Schache in the team? He has actual natural forward instincts and we just seem to be a more cohesive forward unit when is he in the team. He is smart with his leading patterns and this is evident when you actually go to the games as well

I'm with you. Helps out Bruce' game as well

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Yes and No. Conditions and ball delivery determine his effectiveness more than any of our other key forwards. Certainly he's the most one dimensional tall forward we have. If things aren't falling their way at the very least, Naughton and Bruce offer more in regards to defensive pressure and physicality. Obviously both offer more marking variety as well.

Wet, Slippery conditions at night in QLD certainly hasn't helped his cause.

It's unfortunate for Josh but the first game he might get a favourable set of conditions against a woeful team (Adelaide - Day game at Metricon), is probably Naughtons return game.

Back