Preview Changes Vs Port Adelaide, round 3 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Is it fair to say two of our recruits in Witherden and Langdon have been really underwhelming this year?

Witherspoon can't get a game and Langdon has been awful.

Early days but they've really disappointing so far.

They are both young and probably won't play the majority of games but that's fine.

Witherden helps to replace Hurn and Shep.

Langdon helps to replace Cripps.

For now they aren't locks for best 22 but i reckon they are both a big part of our future

ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders
Besides Yeo who is missing from the best 22?

Based purely on unavailability - Willie Rioli, definitely and, probably, Bailey Williams. Maybe Jake Waterman.

You’re then in debate territory with Xavier O’Neill, Jarrod Brander and Jarrod Cameron.

So we’re playing mids forward? That’s what I was getting at
He is playing as a mid but is named/ starts forward. We do that with one every week. Another mid starting forward would actually have to play as a forward, and I don't think that is XON's skillset.

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
They are both young and probably won't play the majority of games but that's fine.

For now they aren't locks for best 22 but i reckon they are both a big part of our future
They need 2 years in our system to undo 20 years of learning, to learn our way of coralling.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
F**k me, underwhelming selections over and over again.

How on earth Petruccelle justifies an inclusion is beyond me. All he has done for the past two years is just run goalside of his opponent - and into space that is covered by the opposing defensive sweeper, effectively taking himself out of the game. He has absolutely zero comprehension of reading play, so offers nothing in attack if he can't get out the back, and is a liability defensively as well - I am just baffled in how he could be seen as a best 22 player in this team.

Port are going in tall, which is not unexpected.

Yet we haven't even named H.Edwards among the emergencies... Who is going to help out McGovern on Dixon when Marshall and Ladhams drag Barrass and Hurn back to the goal square, Sheppard is locked down on Gray and Rotham is dragged up the ground by Georgiades/Rozee?

Port will be doing everything they can to isolate Dixon and we won't have any key talls nearby that will be able to zone off and provide help if the ball comes in quickly. If Dixon manages to kick straight, he will get 6+ goals against this defensive setup should Port's midfield get on top of ours.

Without Vardy or H.Edwards, who is expected to take on the ruck duties in the defensive half when Naitanui is off the ground? Surely not Allen, who cannot be expected to play forward, defence and ruck in the same match whilst carrying wrist and shoulder injuries. Barrass or McGovern? That would mean leaving our defence with a single KPP against 3-4 in Port's forward line - any dump kick forward from the ruck contest could easily end up falling to a marking mismatch that is not in our favour. Ah Chee? He's not even 190cm - that's a six inch height difference compared to each of Port's rucking duo. It would be a complete concession of the ruck in dangerous areas with Gray, Rozee, Fantasia, Motlop and Butters lurking. But hey, it worked for Brisbane last night against Collingwood, so who knows...

The obvious key in winning this match is to beat Port for contested ball and get it forward more often.

That however looks unlikely. Port are 1st in the competition for contested possessions, whilst we are last. From the two matches played thus far they average 27 more contested possessions a game than we do.

Which leaves us in a position where pretty much each of our star players needs to pull off an exceptional performance in order to give us a chance of victory.

Because if they don't and Port is allowed to do as it pleases between the 50m arcs, I fear things will get very ugly, very quickly.

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I quite like the changes. Very different for our MC to go so small. Petch probably an undeserved game but his pace can be a weapon oppos need to worry about.

Very intrigued to see what we do when NN isn't rucking. Couldn't go into a game with Shuey on managed mins and our 2nd ruck only playing 50% TOG. Plus port now somewhat kept guessing

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
F**k me, underwhelming selections over and over again.

How on earth Petruccelle justifies an inclusion is beyond me. All he has done for the past two years is just run goalside of his opponent - and into space that is covered by the opposing defensive sweeper, effectively taking himself out of the game. He has absolutely zero comprehension of reading play, so offers nothing in attack if he can't get out the back, and is a liability defensively as well - I am just baffled in how he could be seen as a best 22 player in this team.

Port are going in tall, which is not unexpected.

Yet we haven't even named H.Edwards among the emergencies... Who is going to help out McGovern on Dixon when Marshall and Ladhams drag Barrass and Hurn back to the goal square, Sheppard is locked down on Gray and Rotham is dragged up the ground by Georgiades/Rozee?

Port will be doing everything they can to isolate Dixon and we won't have any key talls nearby that will be able to zone off and provide help if the ball comes in quickly. If Dixon manages to kick straight, he will get 6+ goals against this defensive setup should Port's midfield get on top of ours.

Without Vardy or H.Edwards, who is expected to take on the ruck duties in the defensive half when Naitanui is off the ground? Surely not Allen, who cannot be expected to play forward, defence and ruck in the same match whilst carrying wrist and shoulder injuries. Barrass or McGovern? That would mean leaving our defence with a single KPP against 3-4 in Port's forward line - any dump kick forward from the ruck contest could easily end up falling to a marking mismatch that is not in our favour. Ah Chee? He's not even 190cm - that's a six inch height difference compared to each of Port's rucking duo. It would be a complete concession of the ruck in dangerous areas with Gray, Rozee, Fantasia, Motlop and Butters lurking. But hey, it worked for Brisbane last night against Collingwood, so who knows...

The obvious key in winning this match is to beat Port for contested ball and get it forward more often.

That however looks unlikely. Port are 1st in the competition for contested possessions, whilst we are last. From the two matches played thus far they average 27 more contested possessions a game than we do.

Which leaves us in a position where pretty much each of our star players needs to pull off an exceptional performance in order to give us a chance of victory.

Because if they don't and Port is allowed to do as it pleases between the 50m arcs, I fear things will get very ugly, very quickly.
I honestly cant see is winning, unless port come here complacent.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
[/QUOTE]

Langdon isn't young, he's 26 this year.
We're screaming out for a small forward and he can't consolidate a spot.

I haven't seen enough of Witherden so will hold judgement on him.

insidious

Senior List
Mar 5, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Turning point was round 17 against Collingwood in 2019 that 1 point loss.
We need a serious kick up the backside and sort out our hard ball gets and contested possessions because it hasn't been addressed for years. Not sure what the coaches are doing. Also I agree with the above comment Hinkley will be eating a sandwich tomorrow night.

On CPH1921 using BigFooty.com mobile app

On our home deck, I think this could be the match where we realise the premiership window has clanged shut.

I can see Hinckley eating a sandwich in the box tomorrow.

I know he'd be disappointed but I don't see Hinkley commiserating Port's window closing like that.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
On our home deck, I think this could be the match where we realise the premiership window has clanged shut.

I can see Hinckley eating a sandwich in the box tomorrow.

Our window is still a long way from shutting.

Find a working balance in the ruck when Naitanui is off, get form into Witherden, have Yeo and Rioli fit to resume their places and this team is as good as any going around.

Without any of the above, I expect us to lose this match against Port.

However, our back half of the fixture is pretty easy, and things will start to feel like they are falling into place.

By the time finals comes around, we will be hitting it like a freight train - and every other club will be fearful of coming against us.

Lazzas

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Is it fair to say two of our recruits in Witherden and Langdon have been really underwhelming this year?

Witherden can't get a game and Langdon has been awful.

Your right however same thing was said about Jetta and Kelly takes time too switch systems.

Lazzas

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
He is playing as a mid but is named/ starts forward. We do that with one every week. Another mid starting forward would actually have to play as a forward, and I don't think that is XON's skillset.

Simmo was on tv talking about Boots forward because of the recurring injuries. Going to be interesting to see who plays where.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Our window is still a long way from shutting.

Find a working balance in the ruck when Naitanui is off, get form into Witherden, have Yeo and Rioli fit to resume their places and this team is as good as any going around.

Without any of the above, I expect us to lose this match against Port.

However, our back half of the fixture is pretty easy, and things will start to feel like they are falling into place.

By the time finals comes around, we will be hitting it like a freight train - and every other club will be fearful of coming against us.
Need to still be in a good enough position (ie. Top 4) to do anything of note though and being 1-2 certainly doesn’t help. Last weeks game was a big one. Win that and I would’ve had this weekend off, not caring which way the result went. As it is.. this is nearly a must win game with some pretty dodgy fixtures coming up (Cats at Kardinya is a likely L for example).

3-3 would be workable but we really don’t want to be leaving too much to do towards the end. We may have an easier run home but we’ve also had relatively simple tasks in the previous 2 years to make the top 4 through our own games and fluffed it. Tomorrow’s game is season defining imo. Gives us a good look at being 4-2 after the Geelong game which I’d be comfortable with given we’d have played 3 of the top tier sides in the comp at that point. We’re at pretty much full strength. Obviously Yeo and Willie out but we didn’t have them for large parts of last year (all) and still looked fairly good when we wanted to

Simmo was on tv talking about Boots forward because of the recurring injuries. Going to be interesting to see who plays where.

And that makes it all the more baffling as to why XON was dropped and Petch comes in. :rolleyes: 🤔

bunkyboy

Club Legend
Jan 16, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

Witherden can't get a game and Langdon has been awful.

The club has just recently said it will be sooner than later that Witherden is in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back