Preview Changes Vs Port Adelaide, round 3 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
When you trade in guys on two or three year contracts, the time to judge them is after round 2 of their first season. Everyone knows that.
I did say it was early days but time will tell.
I was hoping for more I guess.

Like I said, I haven't seen enough of Witherden but Langdon hasn't shown me anything in 2 games that has impressed me.

Would happy to be proven wrong but there's a reason they havent gotten regular games at their previous clubs.

Last edited:

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Our window is still a long way from shutting.

Find a working balance in the ruck when Naitanui is off, get form into Witherden, have Yeo and Rioli fit to resume their places and this team is as good as any going around.

Without any of the above, I expect us to lose this match against Port.

However, our back half of the fixture is pretty easy, and things will start to feel like they are falling into place.

By the time finals comes around, we will be hitting it like a freight train - and every other club will be fearful of coming against us.
That's my gut feeling also, regardless of this match or if we're 1-2, that we have the firepower towards the later part of the season, or even before the bye. Team is thereabouts, just needs to gel more. I reckon by finals (injuries gods allowing) with Yeo and Rioli, Williams even Cameron back, the other newbies and those on the fringe (Brander etc) should all be stronger in the mix.

It's a long season, anything can happen and usually does, in either direction. Too early to wet the bed! Pacing and building through the season, the long game.

Even if Petch and Sneeze aren't popular, we need them to improve and be consistent for good depth, we need good depth! -that also requires AFL game experience, rolling them through. Same with Langdon and Witherden, expectations should be tempered, they were never going to be instant silver bullets, takes time and patience...look at Kelly.

Last edited:

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Need to still be in a good enough position (ie. Top 4) to do anything of note though and being 1-2 certainly doesn’t help. Last weeks game was a big one. Win that and I would’ve had this weekend off, not caring which way the result went. As it is.. this is nearly a must win game with some pretty dodgy fixtures coming up (Cats at Kardinya is a likely L for example).

3-3 would be workable but we really don’t want to be leaving too much to do towards the end. We may have an easier run home but we’ve also had relatively simple tasks in the previous 2 years to make the top 4 through our own games and fluffed it. Tomorrow’s game is season defining imo. Gives us a good look at being 4-2 after the Geelong game which I’d be comfortable with given we’d have played 3 of the top tier sides in the comp at that point. We’re at pretty much full strength. Obviously Yeo and Willie out but we didn’t have them for large parts of last year (all) and still looked fairly good when we wanted to
I can't buy into a rnd 3 game being season defining.

When I saw the fixtures for the first 6 games, I had this game as a loss along with the Geelong game. I view 3-3 as a pass mark, this is our hard part of the draw, it really opens up later in the year.

We dropped a game to the Bulldogs, which means we either pinch one against Port or cats, or have to win both saints and pies (both are quite achievable).

For some reason that has no logic, I think we'll win tomorrow. Port are known for drinking their own bathwater and we must be pissed after playing so well last week and losing.

WCEswift

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Philly Eagles, Boston Red Sox
Im not opposed to Allen rucking tilll Williams is avaliable, he recovers after the contest faster than vardy, chases more, and essentially turns into another mid quick

Oct 3, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd, Perth Glory.
The Simpson Petch love affair continues :rolleyes: no doubt Simmo thinks he can kick 5 again like be did two years ago.

Glad Vardy is gone but honestly we would be better suited to have Brander and O'Neill+ Witherein in. Cripps lucky too.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
The Simpson Petch love affair continues :rolleyes: no doubt Simmo thinks he can kick 5 again like be did two years ago.

Glad Vardy is gone but honestly we would be better suited to have Brander and O'Neill+ Witherein in. Cripps lucky too.

Well if he keeps getting chances then of course one day he will kick 3-5 and everyone will think he has arrived. Then the next 20 games he won’t touch it.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
He had some really influential games in the WAFL pre-covid. As you're his biggest basher on here, I don't expect you to agree.

I am not bashing him, just saying it as I see it. In fact I have said on many occasions I feel for him being sold a dream he can’t deliver on. Footy is not all about positives, unfortunately as there is no longer any independent footy media or we read is positives and potential because that is what the AFL want you to hear.
Ite not about agreeing with you either, he has been in the system quite some time now and still can’t find the footy, his pressure acts are once in a blue moon. His pace which is what excites everyone he never uses when he does get it.
I really hope for the clubs sake that I am wrong and you all get into me when he plays his 5th consecutive 15 possession, 1-2 goal game.

OnThePunt99

Draftee
Mar 29, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
anyone else really worried about this game?
The port forward line is insane - fantasia, butters, dixon, gray, motlop, butters, duursma etc
Their midfield is elite (boak, etc) and backlinw now has Aliir
there's no weakness in their line up at all.. they have the best 22 on paper in the AFL right now

WCE MC - "Remember the saying gentlemen? Lightning always strikes twice!"

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Hopefully today.
Late in for Nelson.
This is the logical change anyhow.
Witho's elite kicking will be the difference.

Will have to bring Rotham out when Yeo comes in so we can revert Duggo to the half back role.

Is everyone in agreeance?

Witherden in Nelson out.
Then Yeo would come in for Rotham so Duggan then goes back to defence?
For best 22.

So In Yeo, Witherden
Out Nelson, Rotham

Then it would it be someone for Petch.
Winder, Venables, Cameron until Rioli.

Ahchee will be out for Williams too.
Rotham will be a lock in the team from now on I feel. I do agree Duggan should go back to defence. Probably in place of Nelson. Witherden can replace Hurn when he moves on.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
anyone else really worried about this game?
The port forward line is insane - fantasia, butters, dixon, gray, motlop, butters, duursma etc
Their midfield is elite (boak, etc) and backlinw now has Aliir
there's no weakness in their line up at all.. they have the best 22 on paper in the AFL right now

We are playing arguably the best side in the comp so yes we should be worried. Would be a great scalp if we could win it.
I think they will be to quick and to good for us and they are contested ball elite which we are not and that will be the difference.
Big big game for us I think.

I think the main thing today is for the boys, collectively, to show they are up for the contest. I think we could play pretty well and still get rolled by 5 goals given the gap in form and midfield quality.

If it turns into the same old handful left to do it all with 12-14 passengers actively avoiding the footy... We'll get done by 10+.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I think the main thing today is for the boys, collectively, to show they are up for the contest. I think we could play pretty well and still get rolled by 5 goals given the gap in form and midfield quality.

If it turns into the same old handful left to do it all with 12-14 passengers actively avoiding the footy... We'll get done by 10+.

Things I would like to see.
Break even in contested ball.
Move the ball quicker to our forwards which is our strength.
Ryan to stop jumping over JK and JD and stay on the ground to use his skills as a weapon as a small forward.
Tackling to rise considerably.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
AFL app now has Brander as in and Ah Chee as out injured, has there been an update or is this still it being weird with injury subs?

3D8D0F80-4CEA-490F-AE33-8FD9B1519612.jpeg

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
People make Port out to be terrifying!?
The worst that can happen is we lose..no biggie.
In the history of the Eagles, we've lost the odd game before,
we've also been in finals for long spells and won a few cups.
Who knows, we might win in a cliffhanger?
Hold the line gentlemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back