Preview Changes/Preview, (post #449) Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Out - Greenwood Brown

In - Aish Elliot

Yep, this.

I've given up on hoping Langdon and Phillips get dropped because it'll never happen. So yeah, Greenwood and Brown out for Elliott and Aish seems about right.

Can't wait to finally see our full strength forward line in action.

Out: Brown, Thomas, Greenwood

Brown - To my eyes he really hasn't done a whole lot in the games he's played.. doesn't seem to offer a lot. Granted he started well, but his decision making was poor.

Thomas - Been living off last year's goal tally a little bit this year but has struggled with the new forwardline set up. Probably needs a run in the twos.

Greenwood - No tag? No play. He was a non contributor all day, bombing long with no thought.

In: Sier, Elliott, Wells

Sier - We have missed his size and work in the contest. Don't know why he hasn't been playing but I think we're a better team having him in the squad.

Elliott - What a great opportunity to see the full strength forwardline in action against a port team who I think we can expose with our versatility. Elliott, WHE, DeGoey, Stephenson... the Hydra of forwardlines.

Wells - Let's not wait any longer to see if this bloke can contribute. Port, Carlton, Saints... all average to poor football sides that can provide Wells with the opportunity to run into form and carve out a spot for himself.

Ones to Watch: Beams (didn't think he offered a lot today, but this is going to happen more often than not with this crowded midfield setup.. someone's going to be quiet most weeks) and Varcoe (looked all out of sorts today but I still think he's a.crucjal part of our most effective lineup at the mo)

Sier? Come on, the guy can't even get into the VFL team... :)

You missed the point.
His 'manic ' pressure hasn't resulted in real benefits for the team. He can get the ball, can't win the ball through his pressure and can't hit the scoreboard.
He's in the mix with about 7 others competing for the last 3 or 4 spots and clearly needs to lift.
His tackles stop the opposition from taking the ball to the other end, they either give us a stoppage or allow another player to get involved.

His tackles stop the opposition from taking the ball to the other end, they either give us a stoppage or allow another player to get involved.
His 6 yesterday took his total to 18 for year in 5 games, hardly elite, and he needs to do more than that is what I'm saying. At the moment that is all he's doing.
His output this year has been poor, the coaches agreed with that after a few rounds, it's not a controversial thing to say.
If he has more impact like late last year I'm happy for him to stay, but he's simply not at the moment.

His 6 yesterday took his total to 18 for year in 5 games, hardly elite, and he needs to do more than that is what I'm saying. At the moment that is all he's doing.
His output this year has been poor, the coaches agreed with that after a few rounds, it's not a controversial thing to say.
If he has more impact like late last year I'm happy for him to stay, but he's simply not at the moment.
The coaches agreed with you becuase his output was less than what it was before, then they probably realised they made a mistake as his replacement in Greenwood offered even less.

I’m talking about his whole year I’m just talking about yesterday. 6 tackles is good for anyone. Though his total is fine he’s 5th overall in tackles at the club and has made lates more tackles then any other forward.

It’s also not the only thing he does either, he’s good for the crumb and release that set Stephenson up for his goal.

Brown would be stiff to get dropped imo.

When you convert at 0.3 with 2 of them being regulation shots on goal (especially as a bottom 6 player of the 22), i wouldn't call it stiff at all.
Elliott for Brown is a no brainer.
Aish for Greenwood also a no brainer.

Think we missed Aish in the back 7 yesterday. I’d bring in Aish. Other changes on as need basis. I want Elliot to be 100% right with his history if he’s not opportunity for Wells.

Someone just let bucks know thanks lol 😂

Last edited:
When you convert at 0.3 with 2 of them being regulation shots on goal (especially as a bottom 6 player of the 22), i wouldn't call it stiff at all.
Elliott for Brown is a no brainer.
Aish for Greenwood also a no brainer.
Look he’s not the most reliable shot in our team but he had a very good and underrated game yesterday, that’s why I said he’d be stiff. He may well come out for Elliott which I’m fine with but I think Browny is going to be a handy player in the future so I’m more than happy to see him stay in the team.

There's absolutely no chance in hell Beams ever gets dropped.

You're probably right. I just thought his centre clearance work was sub par for him & he looked painfully slow.

Thomas is not in form as yet and May need some time in the VFL. Plenty of players that might come in apart from Elliott. Wells, Daicos fitness pending on these of course.

The coaches agreed with you becuase his output was less than what it was before, then they probably realised they made a mistake as his replacement in Greenwood offered even less.

I’m talking about his whole year I’m just talking about yesterday. 6 tackles is good for anyone. Though his total is fine he’s 5th overall in tackles at the club and has made lates more tackles then any other forward.

It’s also not the only thing he does either, he’s good for the crumb and release that set Stephenson up for his goal.

My take is that an in-form Varcoe is an automatic selection for what he offers defensively and his offensive crumbing, dash and creativity, but he's in poor form at the moment and needs a spell in the reserves to regain confidence in his ability to pick the bloody ball up off the ground. He's just fumbling way too many opportunities. If it was my call, he'd definitely be in my September plans if he gets back to a decent level of cleanliness, just not in my plans for the next fortnight, both for his confidence and the team's chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Greenwood, WHE/Thomas, Brown(?)
In: Aish/Appleby/IQ, Elliott, Wells(?)

I like Greenwood as a player but not necessarily as a lockdown backman, I’d rather Aish in that position but would prefer Appleby even more. I don’t watch much VFL but an IQ debut would be exciting.

Elliott’s a definite in assuming he’s fit. WHE didn’t look right yesterday so maybe he needs some VFL time to get up to speed. If WHE’s good to go then I think Thomas is the unlucky one.

The last change is more dependent on Wells than Brown for me. If we want to see if Wells is part of this best 22 then I’d rather he’s played sooner rather than later. I didn’t think Brown’s game was bad yesterday. He got into the right positions and created some opportunities but just needed to finish them a little better. Possibly Varcoe could be omitted for Wells but I think Varcoe brings some pace and pressure to a side that’s a little one-paced in the midfield.

My take is that an in-form Varcoe is an automatic selection for what he offers defensively and his offensive crumbing, dash and creativity, but he's in poor form at the moment and needs a spell in the reserves to regain confidence in his ability to pick the bloody ball up off the ground. He's just fumbling way too many opportunities. If it was my call, he'd definitely be in my September plans if he gets back to a decent level of cleanliness, just not in my plans for the next fortnight, both for his confidence and the team's chances.
For he still offering more than the other options so he shouldn’t go to the VFL yet.

So based on yesterday's game, that's no change?
Thomas has a poor moment where left Cox to chase Saad but other than that I agree.

For he still offering more than the other options so he shouldn’t go to the VFL yet.

I reckon it's pretty marginal either way and isn't going to make a difference in the short term. They're all contributing much the same amount, which is not as much as we'll be hoping for in September.

Cometh September, I reckon we will want to have 3 crumbers/runners who go through those high half forward roles, like we've got in our current set up. Those 3 will probably come from the current incumbents - Brown, Varcoe, Thomas or role changes for mids like Sidey/Beams (if Sier comes good) or Stephenson if we have all the other forwards fit at once.

If Elliott's back next week, I'd love to see Stephenson get development time in a hhf role, thus pushing out one of the incumbents. I see Varcoe as the only one who would benefit from a run in the VFL. Varcoe's issue appears to be confidence in his ball handling. The lower intensity might help him regain that confidence.

Brown's progressing and needs AFL game time to feel like he belongs. Thomas's issue is adjusting to increases in intensity - the lower intensity VFL will re-enforce his lack of urgency/sharpness because AFL heat isn't something he'll have to deal with. I reckon they need AFL games. If I thought Varcoe was exceeding their contribution, I'd want him to remain, but seeing I view him on par at the moment, he's the one I'd leave out.

Greenwood or aish ?

Thomas or brown

Wells wills
Both are due

Ins wills wells aish

Outs. Thomas Maynard whe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back