Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
IN: Beams, Schache, Paparone

OUT: CBeams, Dawson, Taylor (?)

If Green is fit, then I have no idea what we'll do with him. We lacked his presence today, but still looked damn good up forward.

Last edited:
In: DBeams Schache Paparone
Out: Mayes McStay Dawson

I like Mayes but someone needs to make way for DBeams and in a game that the majority of Lions players performed I felt like Mayes was kind of underwhelming. This will give him a good chance to go back to the reserves and get some continuity in his game and build some form with a solid 3-4 week stint in the 2's.

Schache will come straight back in and McStay was pretty underwhelming up forward today(Fumbled almost everything) albeit on a poor day conditions wise for key forwards. Dawson was also disappointing down back not only this week but last week as well so we have a few options. We can drop Dawson, swing McStay back and add Schache back into the forward group or we can directly swap Schache for McStay and bring in Paparone for Dawson. Personally I really like McStay and ideally would keep him in but I want to see Paparone come back in and I think a stint in the reserves for McStay will do him some good as well. Gives him a chance to go back and build some confidence up by dominating at a lower level and provides him with the opportunity to work on some aspects of his game that need some tinkering.

How far off is Greeny? I am guessing another 2-3 weeks?

Outs. Dawson taylor mayes.
Ins. D beam(oorah) paparone green.

Sorry to say but lewy taylor has offered us little his last 3 games. Today was no different. Makes way for green. Beams is obvious. Paps comes in for one of mayes or dawson with mcstay to go back. I want to put schachesta in there somewhere. Just dont know where.

Depends on the circumstances that Mayes was included in the team. If it was just for injury cover then he is the obvious swap for Beams. If he had earned his spot, I reckon he has to stay in for another week. I thought he went for the footy when it was in his area, just wasn't his day. *I had to listen to the first half on the radio.

Mcstay for Schache
Pap for Dawson
Beams for Taylor.

Depends on the circumstances that Mayes was included in the team. If it was just for injury cover then he is the obvious swap for Beams. If he had earned his spot, I reckon he has to stay in for another week. I thought he went for the footy when it was in his area, just wasn't his day. *I had to listen to the first half on the radio.

Mcstay for Schache
Pap for Dawson
Beams for Taylor.

Gee, you must hate Paparone. Want him out when he's not even in the team. :p

In: Beams, Paparone, Schache
Out: Dawson, Taylor, McStay

Going to be interesting to see what happens when Green and Mathieson are fit. Taylor isn't playing at his usual standard at all this season, and when he does, looks to be a selfish player.

Out: Dawson, Taylor, C.Beams & McStay
In: Schache, D.Beams, Paparone & Mathieson.

IN = Paparone, Schache and Dayne Beams if ready (I'm assuming Green is out for at least 2-3 weeks with ribs)
OUT = Dawson, Walker and Claye Beams

While Dawson hasn't been terrible, he just hasn't shown enough so far.

I have been disappointed with Walker's efforts the last couple of weeks - he might be saved by being our back up ruck, but I would rather give McStay and Schache a run together (and let McStay go in the ruck as a back up instead). McStay wasn't great today either, but I think McStay and Schache is worth a try as our forward line combo. (The other option would be to keep Walker in the side, bring in Schache and play McStay down back while dropping Gardiner - who has tried hard, but clearly doesn't have the class of McStay).

If Dayne Beams comes into the side, then to me Claye Beams is the obvious next one who has been struggling, as he did again today. It would mean putting someone else into a defensive role like Bastinac. (I wouldn't be dropping Taylor given what he has to offer when playing well).

No way does Green comes back. He needs to find form anyway.

Dawson is a must out.
Taylor, Gardiner or Mayes could also go.

Paparone, DBeams, Schache back in.

A lot of people calling for Dawson to be cut? IMO we need to stick with him for a few more games, nothing like the Voss revolving door. It wasn't to long ago the same people were calling for Lester to be dropped, now he is playing some good football because he was given continuity.

My only change would be Schache in for McStay. McStay needs some time in the seconds to work on his game, get his confidence back and then come back in with some form.

As for D. Beams at this stage he is no certainty to be available.

IN = Paparone, Schache and Dayne Beams if ready (I'm assuming Green is out for at least 2-3 weeks with ribs)
OUT = Dawson, Walker and Claye Beams

While Dawson hasn't been terrible, he just hasn't shown enough so far.

I have been disappointed with Walker's efforts the last couple of weeks - he might be saved by being our back up ruck, but I would rather give McStay and Schache a run together (and let McStay go in the ruck as a back up instead). McStay wasn't great today either, but I think McStay and Schache is worth a try as our forward line combo. (The other option would be to keep Walker in the side, bring in Schache and play McStay down back while dropping Gardiner - who has tried hard, but clearly doesn't have the class of McStay).

If Dayne Beams comes into the side, then to me Claye Beams is the obvious next one who has been struggling, as he did again today. It would mean putting someone else into a defensive role like Bastinac. (I wouldn't be dropping Taylor given what he has to offer when playing well).

Claye necessary for defensive structure with Cutler already out.
I wonder if coaches are actually happy with CBeams?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people calling for Dawson to be cut? IMO we need to stick with him for a few more games, nothing like the Voss revolving door. It wasn't to long ago the same people were calling for Lester to be dropped, now he is playing some good football because he was given continuity.

My only change would be Schache in for McStay. McStay needs some time in the seconds to work on his game, get his confidence back and then come back in with some form.

McStay had a top game in the ressies and is way above .....comes back and is again played out of position

Claye necessary for defensive structure with Cutler already out.
I wonder if coaches are actually happy with CBeams?
Dawson, Beames and Mayes havent given us a game between them and dont look like it.

I didn't watch today's game live so can't really comment on who was playing on who...but Beams, Harwood and Dawson haven't had a big impact with possessions in the games they have played. They're not really doing anything to secure their place in the team long term but neither are they doing anything that says they aren't worth persisting with at this level. Apart from Franklin, none of their forwards had much impact after quarter time and we did fine with rebounding it from our defensive 50 against a decent team.

Disagree, dawson was useless today and had more clangers then touches.

Dawson might be worth dropping back for a while. He will be a good player in time but still has some things to work on. If Beams is ready he will obviously come in. Schache also will presumably come back and Paparone has been missed so I would expect him back if he is ready. Green is a more difficult one but probably needs to come back too. It is nice to be struggling to decide who to drop back to fit them in. I want Harwood to stay and keep developing, same with Bewick and Lester. Mayes and CBeams seem the obvious two to go I suppose and that still leaves one more who might have to come out. Possibly but hopefully not Keays.

Outs:
Dawson (Can't have 1 kick in an AFL match and not get dropped)
C.Beams (Just doesn't get it enough at the moment and doesn't use it well enough when he does)
Walker (Been doing a lot of the F50 heavy lifting for not much return - week off)

Ins:
D.Beams
Paparone
Schache

Dawson might be worth dropping back for a while. He will be a good player in time but still has some things to work on. If Beams is ready he will obviously come in. Schache also will presumably come back and Paparone has been missed so I would expect him back if he is ready. Green is a more difficult one but probably needs to come back too. It is nice to be struggling to decide who to drop back to fit them in. I want Harwood to stay and keep developing, same with Bewick and Lester. Mayes and CBeams seem the obvious two to go I suppose and that still leaves one more who might have to come out. Possibly but hopefully not Keays.

No chance I see him being dropped.

11 possessions (8 contested), 8 tackles and a goal first up :thumbsu:

Was clearly given a defensive forward role. 8 tackles and 8/11 contested possessions... i think he is first picked next week. McStay perhaps to move back to defense in replace of Dawson, makes way for Schache in the forward line. Mayes for Beams perhaps. Don't think we are carrying any mids that don't deserve their spot at the minute. Lester was probably first on the chopping block, but he is performing a very nice role up forward. Kicking goals and making contests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back