List Mgmt. Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

I have always thought Simpsons penchant for keeping the senior guys in the team when they under perform whilst simultaneously dropping the kids or the guys on the periphery of the best 22 sets a terrible, terrible example.

Poor old Oscar Allen must surely be thinking WTF at the moment

Meanwhile Kennedy who is way out form continues to rack up some easy superannuation

I've no problem with backing in a legend of our club for a few more games.
If you drop JK now, you're pretty much ending his career I reckon.

Will be interesting to see how he goes on Saturday in hopefully fine conditions.

Whilst I get your loyalty factor.

If JK is a non contributor and we drop the next few game, then we are looking down the barrel of write off of a season.

Win some games and we are in the hunt.

Some could justifiably say that the season, is that compromised that it is already a write off.
With a list that has some players in the final stages of their careers, the Chinese Virus could not have raised its ugly head at a worse time.

IMO its a simple equation ... we start winning OR we need to start planning for our next period of contention.

I have always thought Simpsons penchant for keeping the senior guys in the team when they under perform whilst simultaneously dropping the kids or the guys on the periphery of the best 22 sets a terrible, terrible example.

Poor old Oscar Allen must surely be thinking WTF at the moment

Meanwhile Kennedy who is way out form continues to rack up some easy superannuation

Oscar Allen has had way too many injury issues to be in a WTF mode at the moment. He is very very good, but he isnt physically at the place he needs to be to be best 22 week in week out. He has hip/leg issues caused by the late growth spurt he has had

The worst thing we can do is be impatient at this stage. It will hurt us long term

Fair play to you Fivey, I certainly couldn't be stuffed looking all of that up 🙌

RIP your morning.

I'd argue there's no point highlighting how "managed" was used to drop players previously as that's not exactly being omitted is it.

It's what I'm presuming will happen to Kennedy soon. Get a nice juicy (managed) or (soreness) next to his name.

I'd nominate Cripps and Redden as 2 candidates who should be dropped going by what they have produced the past 2 weeks. Borderline Sheed.

I'm sure the counter argument to that would be that our depth in those roles is non existent so they are allowed a bit of leeway. Which is bullshit.

When do the runs on the board run out for you? When can we stop leaning on Kennedy multiple AA's and before we make the call that Bailey williams can provide the same 5 touch output?

2-3 weeks of s**t form is enough for whatever decorated player to snap themselves out of the lull and knuckle down. These are senior players.

It shouldn't be up to kids to lead the team.

If Hurn sucks for another 2 more weeks for instance, given hes been poor in his previous 2 games, would you advocate bringing in Rotham?

Oscar Allen has had way too many injury issues to be in a WTF mode at the moment. He is very very good, but he isnt physically at the place he needs to be to be best 22 week in week out. He has hip/leg issues caused by the late growth spurt he has had

The worst thing we can do is be impatient at this stage. It will hurt us long term
And throwing him in against monsters will sevre no purpose.

Allen did play almost every game last year so its not like he hasn't been getting a go. JK is on his last legs so he wont be that upset being dropped knowing he will most probably be in the side sooner than later.

If there was a game to "Rest" JK it was this game as there is a 5 day break before we play the Tigers and would have been good to give Allen a go at FF.

Sadly it is just a fact on much off a cliff our players drop off in their later years.

- Glass in 2012 was AA captain and played his best year and then 2013/14 he was not the same player.
- Cox Similar in 2012 was at best and 2013/14 very average.
- Embley played close to his best season in 2011 & part of 2012. 2013 was horrible.
- Hurn Was at his peak for 3/4s of last year before injury.

Allen did play almost every game last year so its not like he hasn't been getting a go. JK is on his last legs so he wont be that upset being dropped knowing he will most probably be in the side sooner than later.

If there was a game to "Rest" JK it was this game as there is a 5 day break before we play the Tigers and would have been good to give Allen a go at FF.

Sadly it is just a fact on much off a cliff our players drop off in their later years.

- Glass in 2012 was AA captain and played his best year and then 2013/14 he was not the same player.
- Cox Similar in 2012 was at best and 2013/14 very average.
- Embley played close to his best season in 2011 & part of 2012. 2013 was horrible.
- Hurn Was at his peak for 3/4s of last year before injury.
Yep. It's why you should never listen to people who say "insert player" should play for another few years when the player is over 30. Its a year by year proposition at that stage.

I like OAllen up forward.Not only is he a great mark but he is very creative.He has those deft touches which only top liners have.

Agree the kids going to be a class act as a KPF in the future.
Very fortunate to have Oscar waiting in the wings to take over post JK.

Yep. It's why you should never listen to people who say "insert player" should play for another few years when the player is over 30. Its a year by year proposition at that stage.

I think that is the thing with the older guys. If they pick up a niggle it just gradually worsens and impacts their form. They simply don't have the powers of recovery that they did in their youth-prime and the "recovery debt" just starts to accumulate until they either break down or get dropped.

If Priddis had been allowed a solid month off footy to get his back right in 2017 I think we would have seen him back to his best, for example. Unfortunately the environment demands these guys get up week to week and eventually the body just can't answer the call of the mind. We actually have the volume of high calibre KPP that we could look to give Kennedy rests and/or play him when conditions suit, to maximise his output/impact but I guess that thinking is too far outside the norm for our MC to grasp.

Fair play to you Fivey, I certainly couldn't be stuffed looking all of that up 🙌

RIP your morning.

I'd argue there's no point highlighting how "managed" was used to drop players previously as that's not exactly being omitted is it.

It's what I'm presuming will happen to Kennedy soon. Get a nice juicy (managed) or (soreness) next to his name.

I'd nominate Cripps and Redden as 2 candidates who should be dropped going by what they have produced the past 2 weeks. Borderline Sheed.

I'm sure the counter argument to that would be that our depth in those roles is non existent so they are allowed a bit of leeway. Which is bullshit.

When do the runs on the board run out for you? When can we stop leaning on Kennedy multiple AA's and before we make the call that Bailey williams can provide the same 5 touch output?

2-3 weeks of sh*t form is enough for whatever decorated player to snap themselves out of the lull and knuckle down. These are senior players.

It shouldn't be up to kids to lead the team.

If Hurn sucks for another 2 more weeks for instance, given hes been poor in his previous 2 games, would you advocate bringing in Rotham?

It took about 15 mins. Took me longer to come down from the fact checking high :cool:

Kennedy I had as an out this week due to the short turnaround. If not this week then next week. In any event it’s worth noting his value is more than just his statistical output. He generally gets the best key defender, or at least gives the opposition headaches about whether to send their best defender to him or Darling. If our keys are Darling and Williams then that’s a much easier decision. So Darling suffers from him not being in the team.

Anyway hopefully Allen is back next week, either as a key forward or backup ruck (we don’t need Hickey against Richmond’s rucks).

Cripps - yep he’s benefitting from the lack of depth behind him and the fact none of the forwards except maybe Ryan are worthy of a spot on current form. We’ve already dropped Petch this week to give Jamaine Jones a chance. Let’s see how he goes, and when Cameron’s fit we can have a discussion about Cripps’ spot. Although you’d think Ah Chee would be next in the firing line.

Redden - I originally had him in my outs but on reflection I think his problem is he’s being played out of position. He needs to be in the middle. If they’re going to continue to play him on a wing and/or flank then his position should be under threat from one of the many young mids banging down the door, like ... umm.

Hurn, it depends how bad his form gets but I’d lean towards giving him until the Derby. The conditions in Queensland aren’t helping him but thankfully the Richmond game is the only one left at night.

Schofield may have been a fringe player for a fair few years now, but I'm not sure he's ever deserved that. Like when was the last time he actually deserved to be dropped? Seems to do his job every time he's picked.

So glad he got to play in 2018, and I really hope he somehow manages to get to 200 games this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurn, it depends how bad his form gets but I’d lean towards giving him until the Derby. The conditions in Queensland aren’t helping him but thankfully the Richmond game is the only one left at night.

I just want to see our guys stay on their feet a lot more. It's like they think going to ground is showing they are trying harder or something. Hurn just seems to be going to ground way, way too often.

In Round 1 he was up against Max Gawn. Allen was up against Archie Smith

Not a good comparison at all

Allen was up against 209cm giant and hitout record breaker Jarrod Witts the week before :shrug:

FWIW Hickey's hitout totals partnering Naitanui for the half dozen or so games last year were much higher.

Simpson doesn’t drop any senior players, nah Schofield doesn’t count because ... he’s dropped too often?

Other examples: Priddis was “managed” twice in his final season, Cox was “managed” twice in his final season, MacKenzie was up and down between levels in 2016 and 2017, Butler dropped during his final season, vice-captain Scott Selwood dropped during 2015 and missed the Grand Final as a result... probably none of those will count either though, because of reasons.
Sure, the reasons being their bodies were cooked when they were “managed”.

Deep down you know that Simpson has tended to give underperforming senior players a far longer rope than developing players. But your love for playing the contrarian forum moderator role prevents you from accepting it.

Sure, the reasons being their bodies were cooked when they were “managed”.

Deep down you know that Simpson has tended to give underperforming senior players a far longer rope than developing players. But your love for playing the contrarian forum moderator role prevents you from accepting it.

At the risk of being contrarian, I haven’t actually been a forum moderator for years.

And of course Simpson (and his match committee, he’s not a dictatorship) gives far more selection leniency to underperforming senior players than he does to unproven young developing players. Virtually every coach in every sport in the world does that. Champion players are given more of an opportunity to play/bat/run/skate their way out of form slumps than rookies.

I think that is the thing with the older guys. If they pick up a niggle it just gradually worsens and impacts their form. They simply don't have the powers of recovery that they did in their youth-prime and the "recovery debt" just starts to accumulate until they either break down or get dropped.

If Priddis had been allowed a solid month off footy to get his back right in 2017 I think we would have seen him back to his best, for example. Unfortunately the environment demands these guys get up week to week and eventually the body just can't answer the call of the mind. We actually have the volume of high calibre KPP that we could look to give Kennedy rests and/or play him when conditions suit, to maximise his output/impact but I guess that thinking is too far outside the norm for our MC to grasp.

Agree with 99% of that but I'd not be surprised if JK is rested before we leave the hub. If he does have another poor game I wouldnt play him against Richmong.

This is at least a day game and fingers crossed better conditiins to show some skills.

I expect a tough day v Port. We have hurt them too many times.

At the risk of being contrarian, I haven’t actually been a forum moderator for years
I know, but it doesn’t stop you playing the role still.
And of course Simpson (and his match committee, he’s not a dictatorship) gives far more selection leniency to underperforming senior players than he does to unproven young developing players. Virtually every coach in every sport in the world does that. Champion players are given more of an opportunity to play/bat/run/skate their way out of form slumps than rookies.
Indeed it could be the MC. Happy to replace Simpson with MC in all of my previous posts.

Agree about champions and slumps, but guys who deserve a rocket (currently Sheed, Redden, Cripps) aren’t champions nor in leadership positions.

Disagree with that easy summary. We are ignoring the fact that unlike other teams like North/Gold Coast, hell even Port who we play this week that we have to carry a extra ruck and sacrifice a spot in our 22 to cover his lack of gametime. We sacrifice so much to get those stats out of him and this year, I dont think its been worth it.

The shortened game time has hurt him, not improved him and its hurt us, not improved us to boot

Would you be happier if Nic was our backup ruck?

You want an impact player for short bursts you have one.

So really we should be looking to develop or acquire a 1st ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back