Preview Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.
- attributed to Josef Goebbels (though some doubt he actually said it) but enthusiastically adopted by Donald Trump and the PAFC.
I see Godwin's Law has been invoked on page 9. Much later than we usually see in the match preview threads.

Is this a bit of a ‘reactive’ selection? Tim O’Brian, and to me a slightly lesser extent, Ryan Gardener, haven’t been that good for a while, and many of us could see that on here. By continuing to play them, two winnable games were lost. Selection integrity is important, if you are out of form, go back to the seconds and give someone else a go.

No real surprises, no one missing, out or in that would make the team any stronger.

No excuses with this team

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
You've got to admit a side that has VDM at HBF instead of Richards must be weaker for it. Meanwhile Port have Dixon and Boak back.

I expect us to get a spanking.

Is this a bit of a ‘reactive’ selection? Tim O’Brian, and to me a slightly lesser extent, Ryan Gardener, haven’t been that good for a while, and many of us could see that on here. By continuing to play them, two winnable games were lost. Selection integrity is important, if you are out of form, go back to the seconds and give someone else a go.
I dunno - IF in form then Jones and Bruce as KPD and Keith and JOD rotating interceptor then that'd be solid. Darcy and Buss about to push for that 3rd role too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McNeil is getting trolled.

I like the other changes except for West. He’s at the last chance saloon this year albeit I acknowledge he is trying everything he can to be up to the level.

Pretty obvious changes.

Baker was pretty bad last week. He was found wanting when forced onto his non-preferred side. It's a bit of an issue for him and probably why he didn't make it at Melbourne.

Im clearly not big on West's ability to make the jump to the top level through the middle with any consistency. However Bakers been pretty poor for a couple of weeks and with the inclusion of VDM West is probably next cab off a rank from a Footscray team not exactly brimming with midfield talent. Pretty much the exact same reason that Arthur Jones should consider himself lucky to be playing this week. There just isn't anything to replace him with.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread. it'll be interesting to see how they use him and whether they are brave enough to let him roll through the middle of the ground against a midfield that is very slick. Teams that are our Achilles heal. I would suggest much to the angst of his supporters here he will play predominantly forward.

Throwing VDM into defence is a massive risk, but one forced on us with the injuries to Richards and JJ.

Bruce and Keath for all of their disposal flaws should be improvements on Gardner and TO'B given the latter pairs recent form.

I have no idea what JO'D role will be. One would think that we have more than enough tall coverage across the team. Mids/Utilities, not so much.

Last edited:
Very happy with the changes other than wasting a spot on an extra tall, the defence looks much better (although obviously missing one of our best players) happy to see VDM behind the ball, genuinely the only option for now with pace. Clearys sure as hell stiff, would prefer him over JOD as our 7th defender, looks like CD will have to play that role again but would rather keep him forward of the ball.

Keath & Bruce for Gards & O’Brien was a very obvious choice but glad we made it. Baker has been awful the last two so he had to go, hopefully sub and works his way back in. Rapt to see West, let’s see if we can give him a proper go rather, I suspect he’ll be dropped next week though as is the standard

JOD, whilst he may be sent to school again up forward, also allows for Bruce to go forward and JUH to the wing if JOD goes back.

Last time we played them, it was Jones, Bruce and TOB (and Bruce went off injured in the decisive 4th). Dixon also played in that game. This time we have Jones, Bruce, Keath and JOD all in the 22. Bruce forward at the first bounce could be a curve ball no-one is really expecting.

Again, they must rate JOD extremely highly internally. He's been given an extended run against good opposition.

You've got to admit a side that has VDM at HBF instead of Richards must be weaker for it. Meanwhile Port have Dixon and Boak back.

I expect us to get a spanking.
But Richards is not available, so the best team available. We are either serious about being a top 4 team or not

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We didn’t lose the last two because of Gardiner and O’Brien.

West to play HHF.

That means that the Macrae & Daniel HHF experiment is over?
IF yes, happy happy happy LittleG.

Smith & Macrae on the bench is interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back