Preview Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Good changes, love seeing selection on form.

Gardiner and O'Brien for Bruce and keath is a huge positive, the former 2 were terrible last week, I'll sleep a lot better tonight knowing one of them won't be on marshall/Dixon.

Baker been really good most of the year but few really bad weeks. Mcneil not getting near it as sub and that miss was drop worthy.

Let's see what vander has down back as he sure as he'll didn't off much up forward last year. West needs to take his chance. O'Donnell extremely lucky.

Reckon we're a massive chance with the changes although red will be sorely missed.

Go dogs.

Like West in hopefully it’s a start of him cementing his place in the 22

Sweet been named an emergency again he must be close to some record for amount of weeks been named as an emergency.

Too tall, we will get burnt when Port rebound out of our 50. L.Jones playing as the 3rd tall and interceptor is worth a look.

Didn’t Bevo explicitly say we were too tall in the first few rounds?

Yet we’re right back there now?

Just swapped Darcy for JOD.
They are never all on the ground at the same time like we tried with those four players in the early rounds though. Watching the game live on the weekend, JOD, Naughton, Marra, Lobb. One of them was always on the bench. We play a three tall set up, with lots of rotating. Sometimes it is just two tall forwards if Lobb plays up the ground.

Too tall, we will get burnt when Port rebound out of our 50. L.Jones playing as the 3rd tall and interceptor is worth a look.
Our tall forwards are mobile and quick enough not to be an excuse. If Port rebound with ease, its the whole team structure and more so the midfield not defending well. The forwards normally man inside 50 or around the arc, anything over the back is the midfield.

Wow just seen the changes. Happy that both Gardner and O'Brien have been dropped neither have offered anything positive to the team. Baker a little unlucky I think. A chance for West and laith to prove their worth or not. Going to be a tough game.

Our tall forwards are mobile and quick enough not to be an excuse. If Port rebound with ease, its the whole team structure and more so the midfield not defending well. The forwards normally man inside 50 or around the arc, anything over the back is the midfield.
JUH and Naughts yes, But adding Lobb and JOD while having minus 1 small forward ain't good for business

Don't love the team still but can understand some of the changes.

I'm sure the coaches would be lamenting the lack of continuity for the key defenders this season. Liam Jones has played all 12 and has been absolutely fantastic. I have little to no faith in the other four at the moment. Keath has played 8, O'Brien 6, Gardner 5 and Bruce 5 so far. Certainly not ideal. O'Brien and Gardner's last few weeks were so far below standard that I think those changes had to be made but it'd be nice if someone could help Jones and we could settle those positions.

Looking forward to seeing Vandermeer at half back. Think his attributes will suit him there and I'm not convinced he's making it as a small forward. Would've preferred him to have to have forced his way into the team through a longer run of VFL form first, he's someone who always seems to get chances without massive VFL numbers behind him, but I'm excited to see it nevertheless. Not sure why Cleary is finding it so hard to force his way into the side, seems to consistently be one of our better performers in the reserves but isn't getting a nod. Hopefully its just a little thing they want him to clean up because I think he could have a future.

Oskar Baker being out is a bit of a downer after a solid start to the season. Understandable again, his last few weeks haven't been great. I think he'll be back in again soon, has a lot of qualities to be the long term wing opposite Williams. His footskills and general lack of composure with the ball holds him back a lot and you can see why he was out of favour at Melbourne. He is less than 30 games in still and its definitely something that will improve with more football under his belt.

Still don't understand the JOD selection. Was performing well in the reserves as a tall defender, we have a real dearth of in form tall defenders, if you think he is ready for AFL play him there. He can't be doing much worse. Isn't offering anything forward and I don't understand why we're so desperate to make it work. Hope I'm wrong and he snags a few tomorrow.

JOD again... WHY.

Port just need to tag Bailey Dale and we are in serious strife.

They have also left Jonas out again. Aliir and McKenzie (who is an undersized KPD) are the only key backs they have. Someone (or two if we play 4 big forwards) will have an undersized opponent. Let's hope for a miracle that our forwards suddenly space well and work together this week.

No Jonas also means we don't have to worry about someone being sniped off the ball. Dirty pr1ck.

JOD again... WHY.

Port just need to tag Bailey Dale and we are in serious strife.

They have also left Jonas out again. Aliir and McKenzie (who is an undersized KPD) are the only key backs they have. Someone (or two if we play 4 big forwards) will have an undersized opponent. Let's hope for a miracle that our forwards suddenly space well and work together this week.

No Jonas also means we don't have to worry about someone being sniped off the ball. Dirty pr1ck.

Play Lobb at FF and Naughton up the ground. Aliir then forced to go to Lobb. Marra could also get off the chain imo.

Play Lobb at FF and Naughton up the ground. Aliir then forced to go to Lobb. Marra could also get off the chain imo.

I think Aliir goes to Naughton regardless. Think Naughton is too hard of a matchup for undersized key defenders. Means McKenzie to Lobb and who knows to Ugle-Hagan since Burton was omitted as well. Bergman was good down back last time against us, maybe they trust him with the Jamarra matchup when Naughton, Lobb and Jamarra are all down there.

Will certainly be interesting. Good opportunity for someone to kick a bag but they'll be backing themselves to be a real threat on the counter if it gets to ground level. Early Bevo used to go undersized in the back line regularly and trust the rebound game. Did it quite a bit it 2015 with Morris as the second tall and Wood as the third tall, remember a really good game against North with Waite, Petrie and Ben Brown where we went small down back. They kicked a few goals and took a lot of contested marks but we just overwhelmed them if they didn't clunk it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West as a half forward is setting him up to fail. He's an inside mid.

That HHF role is what Macrae and Daniel have been doing this year. That player has been moving into the midfield (without their man following) after the CB and giving us an outnumber in midfield.

IF West is instructed to do the same thing, we will get to see him as an inside mid at least for some parts of the game.

It’s getting towards last chance territory for West. He really needs to take this opportunity to shine. Even if he doesn’t get a contract extension from us, other teams will be watching and their interest will be determined by his performance.

Huge opportunity for him. He could take it and play the rest of the year and into finals and get a nice contract extension. It’s all up to him from here.

West as a half forward is setting him up to fail. He's an inside mid.
Hopefully there is periods in the game where he gets the opportunity to play as that inside mid.
He seems more suited to that role

West named at HFF is only on paper. Who knows if that's where he actually starts. Might start on the bench with Jones at HFF. Same with Bruce and JOD.

I'd start Bruce fwd and JOD back to screw their match ups early. And put JUH on the left wing helping to feed Naughts, Bruce, Lobb Weightman and Jones. Could even have Naughts hard tag Aliir to open it right up for Bruce and Lobb.

Mix it right up. Port are a serious team. All will be for naught though if we don't win the middle given the quality of ball user they have.

JUH and Naughts yes, But adding Lobb and JOD while having minus 1 small forward ain't good for business
We also probably won’t see much of Scott up there as he’ll be needed on the wing without Baker, West as an extra small on last week though. The 3 smalls in West, Cody & AJ is a fair bit of tackling ability & pressure - I think this trio will be our best when it comes to the defensive side of the game

West always seems to come in to these games where we are far from being the favourites. He is always set up to fail. It was against Richmond when they were flying one year. StKilda earlier this year.

West always seems to come in to these games where we are far from being the favourites. He is always set up to fail. It was against Richmond when they were flying one year. StKilda earlier this year.
Geez stop making excuses for the guy. We're a good side playing at Marvel against another good side. He hasn't been set up to fail at all. This is close to a 50/50 game as well.

At some point it will be up to him to actually perform at his given role in the side. There's no reason why that can't be tonight.

I’m personally happy we are seemingly wanting to fast track his development.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Is it actually better for his development though? I personally think he’d learn more at this stage of his career being a key component of our VFL team.

When you look at all the guys who have been ‘fast tracked’ or just clearly given a longer leash than others when it comes to poor games etc who has actually been a success? Gowers, McComb, Gardner, Hannan? No,
Hayes? god no,
VDM? Not yet and unlikely ever,
Scott? Yeah maybe.

It’s a list which doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back