Changes vs Richmond ANZAC Day eve - Deck chairs shuffled - 5 changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's fascinating the parallels with North. Clearly both sides suffered from a lack of leg speed in the off season. North went and got Hall, Polec and Pittard and yet they have conceded 7 or more goals from stoppages in all of their losses. Suggests to me that we could go an dump 2 wingers into the side and nothing will change.

I think our issue is that most of our guys are see ball get ball players. We were crying out for these guys for 20 years when we were s**t and yet kept drafting outside players. We were drafting icing when we had no cake. Now we have lots of cake and no icing. We’ve got four guys trying to get the footy when the oppo has two, with another two 10m outside the pack. Get a toe poke out to either of the guys outside the pack and you’re off to the races.
If your game plan is just to win the ball at stoppages, which is always under massive pressure, the entries into the forward line are always going to be s**t. It would be nice to get a few where the ball carrier had a bit of space to actually be able to execute a pass.
But how do we fix it? You can’t really reprogram Viney or Clarry to not go and hunt the footy. I think we need to be a bit smarter at the selection table and pick a more balanced side. We can’t keep picking 22 inside mids.

Out - C Wagner, Lewis, J Wagner
In - Stretch, Baker, Lockhart

B - Hibberd Frost Jetta
HB - Salem TMac Fritsch
C - Stretch Oliver Hunt
HF - Melksham Weidemann Harmes
F - Spargo Petracca Jones
R - Gawn Viney Brayshaw
I/C Hore, Preuss, Baker, Lockhart

Stretch needs a month. He isn’t THAT BAD! We just need a look at Baker, what the **** have we got to lose? We aren’t getting much from Wagner X2 or Lewis. Seriously. Lockhart to provide some forward support.

Mate, who the **** knows...
I’d roll with:

Wagner OMAC Hibberd
Hunt Frost Salem
Stretch Gus Fritsch
ANB Weed Melksham
Garlett Preuss Trac

Gawn Harmes Clarry
IC: old mother hubbard... Hore, Sparrow, Maynard, T Smith

TMAC, Viney, Jones, Jetta, Lewis Spargo all out until they are fit.

I’d roll with:

Wagner OMAC Hibberd
Hunt Frost Salem
Stretch Gus Fritsch
ANB Weed Melksham
Garlett Preuss Trac

Gawn Harmes Clarry
IC: old mother hubbard... Hore, Sparrow, Maynard, T Smith

TMAC, Viney, Jones, Jetta, Lewis Spargo all out until they are fit.

That's so ******* bleak.

Omac and ANB dropped for poor form and get back in for doing nothing.

Maynard and Sparrow 2 more inside mids without a place to play who haven't played well in the reserves either.

Garlett and Smith. Neither have played well either.

Gross

That's so ******* bleak.

Omac and ANB dropped for poor form and get back in for doing nothing.

Maynard and Sparrow 2 more inside mids without a place to play who haven't played well in the reserves either.

Garlett and Smith. Neither have played well either.

Gross
We are in the hurt locker. We’ve got two gun key defenders out injured, our best small defender out injured, Viney and a TMAC clearly aren’t right, and Hannan out injured. They are all best 22. Plus Jones and Lewis have slammed into the wall. Our list is looking pretty damn thin.

And I’d still much rather that side than the one we’ve been fielding. At least they are fit and won’t run around like pensioners.

And I’d still much rather that side than the one we’ve been fielding. At least they are fit and won’t run around like pensioners.

Smith and Maynard are VFL players. Omac and ANB have played like VFL players and the others won't have much impact. If that's the path we wanna go down fine but that team is so so bad.

I really can't make a case for us to get within 10 goals- if Riewoldts back the margin could even hit triple figures- their forward line will have a field day.

As many players as we have that are lacking fitness and form, I still can't stop thinking that the worst thing is still the coaching thats going on.

Our current game plan looks almost exactly the same as the one that didn't work at the start of last season, and most concerning, it doesn't seem to have changed in 5 rounds ... surely adjusting to something more defensively minded should have happened at 3qrt time in Round 1? Instead we've just kept flogging the same dead horse that's been dead since last year, absolutely astounding.

I think it's fascinating the parallels with North. Clearly both sides suffered from a lack of leg speed in the off season. North went and got Hall, Polec and Pittard and yet they have conceded 7 or more goals from stoppages in all of their losses. Suggests to me that we could go an dump 2 wingers into the side and nothing will change.
I think the 1 point you missed is neither Hall or Polec are 2 way runners. Hall kept getting dropped cause he did nothing defensively and Polec pretty much is the same but goes entirely missing for games. You can have Bolt on the wings but if he isnt running defensively then it means s**t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the 1 point you missed is neither Hall or Polec are 2 way runners. Hall kept getting dropped cause he did nothing defensively and Polec pretty much is the same but goes entirely missing for games. You can have Bolt on the wings but if he isnt running defensively then it means s**t

Yeah one thing I would say about North last year is even if they werent the best, they gave most teams a decent game. Same in 2017.
Adding the outside types has completely imbalanced them because those guys cheat forward and leave you exposed.

Yeah one thing I would say about North last year is even if they werent the best, they gave most teams a decent game. Same in 2017.
Adding the outside types has completely imbalanced them because those guys cheat forward and leave you exposed.
Yeah theyve added quicker players who cheat to a plodding midfield like ours. So we have lazy mids who just walk off they have mids who run forward.

Every team who were quicker running defensible won their game in round 5 besides north was really close though and essendons game plan is attacking heavy. Nearly every team who ran quicker in attack lost. We've lost defensively running stat every game bar which? Sydney ofcourse even lost the attacking stat for 1st time this year vs them.

Yeah theyve added quicker players who cheat to a plodding midfield like ours. So we have lazy mids who just walk off they have mids who run forward.

Every team who were quicker running defensible won their game in round 5 besides north was really close though and essendons game plan is attacking heavy. Nearly every team who ran quicker in attack lost. We've lost defensively running stat every game bar which? Sydney ofcourse even lost the attacking stat for 1st time this year vs them.

Yeah there is a real noticeable trend now of teams conserving energy in attack so that they can defend. So the slow ball movement is so you can set up your defence first and then attack.
We on the other hand spend most of our energy trying to win stoppages and then explode forward.

Essendon are the exception to the rule.

Yeah there is a real noticeable trend now of teams conserving energy in attack so that they can defend. So the slow ball movement is so you can set up your defence first and then attack.
We on the other hand spend most of our energy trying to win stoppages and then explode forward.

Essendon are the exception to the rule.
And even if we do win the stoppage and explode forward, our forward line is still super congested and we can hardly get a clean mark.

Out: Lewis, Jetta, J Wagner, C Wagner

In: ANB, Stretch, Garlett, Lockhart

Stretch played a blinder in defence in his one full game last year, sweeping across the back half and hitting targets by foot. With Jetta out, this is an opportunity to see if he can perform consistently.

I honestly don’t know if ANB has come good or not. I’m throwing his name in there because I think we really miss his run.

And even if we do win the stoppage and explode forward, our forward line is still super congested and we can hardly get a clean mark.

Weid and Tmac have 18 tackles between them at 1.8 average for the season, Preuss is averaging 1.
Melksham is averaging 2.4

No s**t we are diabolical.

Basically the small forwards are expected to cover the space of 6 blokes no s**t they look terrible

Jayden Hunt had 3 tackles total against Essendon and the Saints.

Weid and Tmac have 18 tackles between them at 1.8 average for the season, Preuss is averaging 1.
Melksham is averaging 2.4

No s**t we are diabolical.

Basically the small forwards are expected to cover the space of 6 blokes no s**t they look terrible

Jayden Hunt had 3 tackles total against Essendon and the Saints.
Spargo only has 3 from 3. Jones 8 from 5 reckon you could go through whole forward mids and be rubbish. Oliver gets alot but thats more he touches an arm n opp turns it over

This has an Essendon 2013 feel about it :l

Was thinking the same the other day, can almost see the players race being packed with angry supporters right now. 😞

I’ve organised to go watch this with my family and I’ll really struggle to drag myself there on Wednesday night, we’ve just been downright depressing to watch, and worse than that we’ve been boring to watch too.

I'm keen for another look at Sparrow. Drop C. Wagner for him.

ANB or Garlett comes in for Spargo. Preferable ANB for more flexibility.

Out: Jetta, Lewis, Spargo, J Wagner, Weid
In : Omac, Stretch, Sparrow, Garlett, ANB.

We need wholesale change and we need it fast. I think swinging TMac back is a bad idea, mainly because he is underdone and will get smoked by Riewoldt.

Even though C wag had a shocker, over 5 rounds he has been better than J wag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back