Changes vs Richmond at AO (rd 15)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to humour myself, I decided to compare our lineup from the Elimination Final in 2014 to our lineup this week. There were 8 changes in total:

INS - Clurey (Def), Byrne-Jones (Def), Powell-Pepper (Mid), S. Gray (Fwd), Dixon (Fwd), Ryder (Ruck), Houston (Def), Impey (Fwd)
OUTS - Moore (Mid), Neade (Fwd), Schulz (Fwd), K. Cornes (Mid), O'Shea (Def), Lobbe (Ruck), Monfries (Fwd), Carlile (Def)

We've gained a defender, lost a mid and directly swapped 3 forwards and a ruck. Since then, Hartlett has changed from a mid to a defender and Trengove from a defender to a forward. Some interesting points:

Powell-Pepper for Moore is a great upgrade
Dixon for Schulz is a pretty even swap IMO
Ryder for Lobbe (albeit 2014 Lobbe) is a god-send
Impey for Neade is an upgrade I'd say
Clurey for Carlile, losing a bit of experience there
S. Gray for Monfries is a downgrade I reckon
Houston for O'Shea is an upgrade
Byrne-Jones for Cornes is where we lose a lot of experience, but two different types of players so can't really compare.

Interesting comparing our prime team of 2014 with our team now. You could say that Boak, Hartlett, Hoff and even Hombsch and White aren't as good as they were back then, but Polec, Wines, Ebert, Jonas and Pittard (when in form) have undoubtedly improved. Are we a better team on paper? Is it our game-plan/style that isn't as good? Interesting to think about.

Jonas will go to Riewoldt
Clurey to Sam Lloyd
DBJ to Rioli
Hammer and broadbent to castagna and butler
Houston to lambert
Hombsch loose man back

(When dusty goes fwd DBJ will go to him because more than likely Rioli will be put in the middle)

Only problem is I can see rance playing loose man for them but I feel our game of kicking to the pockets and getting throw ins helps because he will be punching it over the boundary instead of marking the ball. As long as Dixon stays deep that is and doesn't get sucked up the ground to much

I love DBJ but the thought of him 1v1 with Dusty makes me ill

I love DBJ but the thought of him 1v1 with Dusty makes me ill

I feel as though DBJ is getting that shut down role each week and I feel broadbent and Hartlett are a little to slow jonas needs to be on Riewoldt and clurey needs to stop Sam lloyd jumping around up the ground

I feel DBJ has the speed to go with him not quite the strength but with hombsch playing loose he helps DBJ out in the air and when the ball hits the ground

Happy enough with changes but we need to begin introducing a few other players when we can. Will our good run without many injuries continue?
We are in the top four and should be developing a balanced line up not experimenting with kids because the season is shot. We have players outside the selected 22 with enough experience to cover for most injuries.

Last week there was a melts a plenty about selections, and we win comfortably with stroke of bemusement introducing White to the fore.

This week could be a week soul searching for a team, and I think its going to be us, still trying to beat a team in the 8.

What the Crows did to Richmond in their last game here at AO, there was no way Hawks were going to have that repeat after we finished with the Hawks. This week, Richmond will be alert at the first bounce because of what the Crows did to them last time.

Richmond are a very good side, but without one of their best ball carriers it would be like us missing Ebert.

I am not confident, and if I had to write a script for it, Richmond would be the winners. To over come my thoughts, the boys need to know one thing..... YOU DONT LOSE AT HOME!

Should we lose, its time to look at the contracts and forget the remainder of the year, cause we are just making up numbers in the 8, should we make it.

Somebody forgot to tell that to the Dogs last season...

Wouldn't be overly keen on this. I know he came into the squad as a forward but has made a place for himself down back. He is already the player I have must faith in using the ball well coming out of defence and yo-yoing up and down the ground to accomodate Hartlett's desire to play as a sweeping backman is a good way to confuse the kid about his role.
Would prefer Hartlett to be the one to move forward because his contribution in his current position is sporadic at best

I think what we have now is enormous versatility in this side. Hoff can go forward again freeing up a wing for Broadbent/Polec/White. The option is there to move Houston around as well, although his best footy to date has been in defence. Still he's a smart natural footballer who could provide some quality minutes forward too.

Trengove goes full utility, can go forward, back, ruck, bench. Although I would like to see him back in defence where I think he plays his best footy. He's handy in ruck but for a few minutes of pinch-hitting it's not much return on what he offers if he's sitting on the pine. In which case I'm not discounting Arsene Wenger having a feeling about a possible late change.

I think what we have now is enormous versatility in this side. Hoff can go forward again freeing up a wing for Broadbent/Polec/White. The option is there to move Houston around as well, although his best footy to date has been in defence. Still he's a smart natural footballer who could provide some quality minutes forward too.

Trengove goes full utility, can go forward, back, ruck, bench. Although I would like to see him back in defence where I think he plays his best footy. He's handy in ruck but for a few minutes of pinch-hitting it's not much return on what he offers if he's sitting on the pine. In which case I'm not discounting Arsene Wenger having a feeling about a possible late change.
I like the way you think mate.

I wouldnt be fussed if we went in as selected or with Neade in / Hombsch out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Polec in for Young or Neade, tick.

Young and Neade are pressure forwards ... Impey can be one, Sammy the other ........?

Broadbent in means we have too many backs. That is why we dropped Houston. Hartlett too slow for wing and unless we play him as a full forward and not have a player run off him, too slow for a forward. Houston was not good as a forward. Pittard is not a wing man.

Nervous I am.

Link

"PORT Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley concedes there's some doubt over the fitness of Jared Polec and Matthew Broadbent ahead of Saturday night's clash against Richmond at Adelaide Oval.

Polec and Broadbent were restricted to walking laps at the Power's final training session on Friday morning."

Link

"PORT Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley concedes there's some doubt over the fitness of Jared Polec and Matthew Broadbent ahead of Saturday night's clash against Richmond at Adelaide Oval.

Polec and Broadbent were restricted to walking laps at the Power's final training session on Friday morning."

Kind of goes against everything he's ever said but ok.

Link

upload_2017-6-30_12-48-47.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back