Preview Changes vs Richmond, Round 11, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

We hardly have a player out, no excuses. Even if we lose got to be a 3-4 quarter effort and make it hard for the Tiges.

I like the dual ruckmen, Richmond have kicked 12 goals consistently, we can't kick 6-8 and expect to keep them below that. Ladhams being dropped would have been a disaster after he played so well last week.

We hardly have a player out, no excuses. Even if we lose got to be a 3-4 quarter effort and make it hard for the Tiges.

I like the dual ruckmen, Richmond have kicked 12 goals consistently, we can't kick 6-8 and expect to keep them below that. Ladhams being dropped would have been a disaster after he played so well last week.
Marshall and Burton are in our best 16, and Ebert and Motlop are probably best 22 players, so not quiet true.

But they have 6 premiership payers out and coming back in, Rioli has missed the last 2 and Caddy the last 3.

We have to beat them. Definitely can't do like we did last year and dominate the stats, especially the last quarter, but blind kicking inside 50 and let them take intercept mark after mark, when they had lots of key players out in Rd 4 last year ie no Rance, Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Houli. Lycett and Ryder against Nankervis as the lone ruck. We let Lynch dominate and he kicked 6.2 from 9 kicks, because we gave him so much room when they counterattacked and we pushed too far forward.

Marshall and Burton are in our best 16, and Ebert and Motlop are probably best 22 players, so not quiet true.

But they have 6 premiership payers out and coming back in, Rioli has missed the last 2 and Caddy the last 3.

We have to beat them. Definitely can't do like we did last year and dominate the stats, especially the last quarter, but blind kicking inside 50 and let them take intercept mark after mark, when they had lots of key players out in Rd 4 last year ie no Rance, Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Houli. Lycett and Ryder against Nankervis as the lone ruck. We let Lynch dominate and he kicked 6.2 from 9 kicks, because we gave him so much room when they counterattacked and we pushed too far forward.
I don't even know who Richo has in the ruck to be honest. Obviously not Nankervis. I think my point re injury was more than its obviously not crippling our team, and Richmond has it worse.

Obviously I want us to win, but we're a game clear and playing very well. As long as we put in a proper effort, not like the Saints fadeout or Brisbane non effort, it could be a pass from me. All depends of course. If we lose by a kick like Essendon tonight I won't be chuckling and smiling despite the close result.

As you touched on, forwards are my concern in both directions. Charlie will almost surely be tagged ala last week where he had 4 or 5 on him, so some other players need to step up. That's why I'm curious about Hoff being dropped, I felt he could have played a role. No excuses though, we have s**t tons of kids who can snag a goal or mark the ball.

Personally i cant possible see how Port are not red hot favorites for this game
Prestia , Edwards , Houli , Cotchin , Astbury , Nankervis would all be playing in 99% of Richmond supporters starting 22 every week and these players are not easily replaced with Juniors against top table team like Port thats on fire like you guys are this year.

Specially after a shorter break and travelling interstate to play on your turf - Just too much of an ask
I have this game as a loss and would have preferred Richmond to rest more players (another 4-5) and just reset for the rest of the year

Only possible way i see us winning is if it rains heavily for most of the game and our little runners step up and the ball is on the floor more than in the air, But i wouldnt be too sad if we lost at least if we meet in the GF (if we both make it) We will have some parts of our puzzle that would be different to what port has faced.

Good luck guys and hope its a good game with Tigers winning by a point

Sportsbet has both sides at $1.90 which means they can't split the two.

Maybe its as not a straightforward thing for us to win. They have more injuries than us, they have a better system than us, we are playing at home.

This article from a week ago on stats insiders is a reminder of how good they are, even with half a dozen of their best players missing.

I think based on recent weeks, we should lose between 3-5 goals. Obviously we have some players back now and Richmond is resting Cotchin, plus all the negative media coverage of the Tiges in the last week could potentially hurt them (although I doubt it).

I think the main general match up of interest is Port's defence v Tigers forwards. Both of those areas is what's made their respective teams strong and a differentiator. I just saw some highlights of the round gone and most sides lost by under a kick, lost due to poor defence. Port simply can't have a 4th quarter like the Saints one. Or any quarter I guess!

Focussing on just one player is probably not smart, but Farrell must step up today.

His kicking ability for goal must shine, on a day where scoring goals may be difficult.

His minimal kicks must maximise scoring.

It's a lot to ask of a person who is still a beginner in these ranks, but he has the advantage of flying under the radar of opposition scrutiny.

You'll know if we can win the flag after this game.
Thats not totally correct specially if its a Richmond/Port GF

Richmond got smashed by the crows in the H/W season in 2017 and came out and smshed them in the GF
Richmond also was well beaten by GWS last year and did the same to GWS in the GF

I wouldnt mind history repeating against port this year ;)

Personally i cant possible see how Port are not red hot favorites for this game
Prestia , Edwards , Houli , Cotchin , Astbury , Nankervis would all be playing in 99% of Richmond supporters starting 22 every week and these players are not easily replaced with Juniors against top table team like Port thats on fire like you guys are this year.

Specially after a shorter break and travelling interstate to play on your turf - Just too much of an ask
I have this game as a loss and would have preferred Richmond to rest more players (another 4-5) and just reset for the rest of the year

Only possible way i see us winning is if it rains heavily for most of the game and our little runners step up and the ball is on the floor more than in the air, But i wouldnt be too sad if we lost at least if we meet in the GF (if we both make it) We will have some parts of our puzzle that would be different to what port has faced.

Good luck guys and hope its a good game with Tigers winning by a point
Port shouldn't be hot favourites against anyone (maybe the Crows atm). Our good football is spasmodic, we virtually never play 4 good quarters in a game. Our wins this year have been generally scrappy and unconvincing, resulting from 1 good quarter and below par opposition. These kinds of wins have led to overrating of us in previous seasons as well. There have been signs of greater resilience than we had previously, but I'm far from convinced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back