Prediction Changes vs Richmond Round 13 @ Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nelson is a solid role player. I don’t get why he gets so much hate.
Because he is a below par player as the stats above indicate. In an 80 plus game career he has never risen above mediocrity and most likely never will. He stuffs up regularly, only cracks in intermittently, has no outstanding characteristics, I don’t understand how he gets a game. He is a great celebrator though.

I'm a Nelson fan, like what he brings to the team, but he's not perfect and I don't think he's been as good this year as he has been. And there has to be room for that conversation, without succumbing to Nelson is s**t or Nelson is a best 22 lock.

He's one of those players like Hutchy, that needs to be playing at his best to add value to the team and I don't think he has been. His kicking is worse this year, efficiency stats be damned. More turnovers and at inopportune times, conversely, he was very tidy last year - even when taking the harder option.

Yep, I cringe at it. Uncalled for. Remember Gehriq? Don't want to see that again.

And Masten. And Swift. And Priddis. And Ainsworth…

Do other sides have this phenomenon when a significant portion of the “supporter” base just decides a player is s**t and nothing they do is ever right?

Do other sides have this phenomenon when a significant portion of the “supporter” base just decides a player is sh*t and nothing they do is ever right?
Yes, there is always a group of ‘whipping boys’. Human nature and society. Possibly sad, but true.

Do other sides have this phenomenon when a significant portion of the “supporter” base just decides a player is sh*t and nothing they do is ever right?

And Jetta. And Fletcher. And Suma.

Most of our whipping boys are premiership players or Brownlow Medallists or at least polled a 3 vote game that one time.

We're a big club, we're bound to have a fair few nuffies, that's all. We had a lizardman thread ffs.

And Facebook is a cesspool that seems to be leaking out here.

I'm a Nelson fan, like what he brings to the team, but he's not perfect and I don't think he's been as good this year as he has been. And there has to be room for that conversation, without succumbing to Nelson is sh*t or Nelson is a best 22 lock.

He's one of those players like Hutchy, that needs to be playing at his best to add value to the team and I don't think he has been. His kicking is worse this year, efficiency stats be damned. More turnovers and at inopportune times, conversely, he was very tidy last year - even when taking the harder option.

And Petrucelle. And Cripps. And Waterman. And Vardy. And Langdon..it's never ending and is the nature of the beast and we all succumb to it to varying degrees. There's also a distinct lack of patience for players to develop, or accept that not all players in a team or club are gun players, there is a certain quota of average serviceable blue collar players who fill a role as requested.
Also player's fortunes rise and dip, pretty hard to be top of your game year in year out, or even week in week out. Shuey has down days, NN has down days (well not often), Dusty has down days - he's going to have one this Sunday!!

I seem to recall Judd stating that Jones would be one of his first picked for his role that allowed Judd to get off the leash so many times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup. The whipping boy phenom is alive and well and from what I can see, it's universal. Interestingly, it's easily transferrable too. If a whipping boy is traded out, delisted or horror of horrors plays well, does their role to the satisfaction of the mc or improves over time, a new wb is almost immediately found and the pile on continues.

A little sad really when we call refer to ourselves as "supporters". With even a subtle change of perspective, it's possible to see the good things every player brings to the table. Even to make it onto an AFL list you by definition are the best of the best as a footballer. What is it, 700 players out of the hundreds of thousands who play the game ?

Of course the real whipping boys are sat behind little screens munching Doritos and smashing beers with the top button on their jeans undone and the remote nearby.

But hey, I'm only Richmond scum, wth do I know lol

And Petrucelle. And Cripps. And Waterman. And Vardy. And Langdon..it's never ending and is the nature of the beast and we all succumb to it to varying degrees. There's also a distinct lack of patience for players to develop, or accept that not all players in a team or club are gun players, there is a certain quota of average serviceable blue collar players who fill a role as requested.
Also player's fortunes rise and dip, pretty hard to be top of your game year in year out, or even week in week out. Shuey has down days, NN has down days (well not often), Dusty has down days - he's going to have one this Sunday!!

Because we're a spoilt fanbase (in a good way) who expect such high standards from a club which in it's short lifespan has produced such high standards consistently. A lot of fans expect magic out of each player, sharpish.

Docker's fans (among others) always accuse us of whining. My response to that is that we can't help but expect great things from our players and that they don't really know what success / top results are about and hence don't cry about anything because they expect their team to be sh4t.

Nelson on Bolton, Yeo on Martin.

West Coast by 93

O Allan to Martin. Yeo mid field getting it foward. West Coast need to win the footy as our foward line will kick enough goals to win. Martin only play's forward and mid field.

Every team in every sport in the world has internet whipping boys these days.

We are certainly not special in this respect.

Nelson is not 1/10 the player that Gehrig was. Gehrig could play, as for Nelson I can’t say the same. As regards playing ability there is no comparison. Gehrig whe playing for WCE was an AA, Nelson is so far from that it’s not funny.

Where did I compare Nelson to Gehriq? You completely missed my point. It's been said that the Gehriq hate mongerers basically ran him out of town. I don't want to see any other Eagle player suffer that same demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back