Prediction Changes vs Richmond Round 14 @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brander has been much better since getting back in the team but lets not rewrite history, he was putrid in QLD before his injury.

Please quote the post that you think is rewriting history?

He showed a lot of glimpses during the QLD stint. He is a developing player learning a new role.

Please quote the post that you think is rewriting history?

He showed a lot of glimpses during the QLD stint. He is a developing player learning a new role.
If you want me to be specific, yours, even though I usually agree with you.

I agree he has been very promising, if you are talking about his latest stint in the side. However he was rubbish in QLD, except for his Daniel Menzel tackling impersonations. Hopefully this is behind him.

I agree he has been very promising, if you are talking about his latest stint in the side. However he was rubbish in QLD, except for his Daniel Menzel tackling impersonations. Hopefully this is behind him.

I still remember against Brisbane when someone (maybe Jetta) was kicking the ball in and went straight to Brander in the corridor who marked it while running towards our goal, took a bounce and the kicked a beautiful kick in side fifty.

I have zero recollection of what happened after that kick, and it doesn't even matter, that play was absolutely sublime.

He also squibbed a kick in that game after a great contested mark which resulted in a turnover and a goal against us.

I never said his play in QLD made him one of our best players, but every week I saw him play he offered more and more insights into his talents, and why he is worth persisting with.

Moral of the story is when you have young talent (especially playing out of position) you look for what their upside is. You can coach them out of the mistakes and poor plays through the review process.

The most you can ask from your young talent is that they improve with every game, and he has done that every game he has played this year.

Granted, in his latest stint, he finally appears to be comfortable at the level. But we wouldn't have gotten to the point we are now with him, if we didn't persevere early and provide him with opportunity and experience.

He played one good game in QLD I recall.

He wasnt alone playing poorly in the others!

Not quite up to Carey's level to carry a side in just his second season.

Yeah I'm guessing that's how Simmo announces a new player now. He randomly throws a question to the boys to see if they're paying attention and they start answering it before they truly comprehend what it means. Don't mind it. Bit like high school when the teacher would ask you a question when you were off with the fairies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I'm guessing that's how Simmo announces a new player now. He randomly throws a question to the boys to see if they're paying attention and they start answering it before they truly comprehend what it means. Don't mind it. Bit like high school when the teacher would ask you a question when you were off with the fairies
Ah the Socratic method.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If Simmo is Socrates who does that make Rossco?
Napoleon Bonaparte

giphy.gif

Caddy is in the sin bin for the 100m penalty

Rumours are broad is in the freezer as his has committed to Gold Coast next year.

They're extremely short down back. Clean entries and we will be able to compete in the air almost uncontested.

Caddy is being rested this week as we have learned from the compressed fixture last time, he will be in next week.

Broad is actually having a much needed rest to get over a groin niggle, best do it now then ignore it and it gets worse. We need him to be right for the last 3 weeks leading to finals, that is also when we should start getting Astbury, Prestia and Edwards back. He has not signed for GCS. He actually had an agreed upon contract just before covid broke out and we had to suspended it as per the AFL guidelines.

As to height, Shadowthorn posted on our board and our defenders are not that much smaller then you. I also think our resting ruck will rest in the back line and Soldo is a good mark for his size 2.04m plus

Balta (195cm) v Kennedy (194cm)
Grimes (193cm) v Darling (191cm)
Vlastuin (187cm) v Ah Chee (188cm)
Markov (188cm) v Reid (188cm)
Houli (181cm) v O'Neil (185cm)
Short (178cm) v Cripps (183cm)
Baker (173cm) v Ryan (179 cm)

The reason we have gone with the side we have, particularly with the run and speed of our back line is that you have great lead up forwards, you have x factor in Ryan as well, the one weakness I see from watching your games and its not a knock, we have weaknesses too. All your forwards dont chase as hard as they could. So we are banking on being able to get the ball to ground and then run it out. If you guys get clean possession to deliver it inside 50 with no pressure then we will be done and dusted BUT if we can pressure the ball carrier and force you wide to the pockets we "should" be able to use the speed of short,baker, houli, Balta and markov to run the ball and kick over your midfield press.

The unknown for me is how dewy the ball will be. We are used to playing QLD at night and from all reports the ball can become like a wet ball at times. With both sides missing key players I think we are even in the midfield, both back lines are in form, but your forward line is in better form then ours. Lets hope both sides click, throw their best punches and both walk away with zero injuries.

Should be a cracker.

The reason we have gone with the side we have, particularly with the run and speed of our back line is that you have great lead up forwards, you have x factor in Ryan as well, the one weakness I see from watching your games and its not a knock, we have weaknesses too. All your forwards dont chase as hard as they could. So we are banking on being able to get the ball to ground and then run it out. If you guys get clean possession to deliver it inside 50 with no pressure then we will be done and dusted BUT if we can pressure the ball carrier and force you wide to the pockets we "should" be able to use the speed of short,baker, houli, Balta and markov to run the ball and kick over your midfield press.

The unknown for me is how dewy the ball will be. We are used to playing QLD at night and from all reports the ball can become like a wet ball at times. With both sides missing key players I think we are even in the midfield, both back lines are in form, but your forward line is in better form then ours. Lets hope both sides click, throw their best punches and both walk away with zero injuries.

Should be a cracker.
Great post. Cheers for sharing.

What we've done differently since the first hub spell is activate an aggressive press using our bevy of small defenders. My hope is that we pressure the opposition coming off half-back and cut off their options; disallowing the Tigers to run the footy out so cleanly. Now that Gov is back and in form, we can press with confidence that if the opposition tries to go over the top, somebody will likely be there to stop it. Rotham has shown he can take a few intercepts, and Barrass is in good nick. I feel that Tom Lynch will need to play with real intent and at least bring his contests to the ground for your smalls to lap up. This is why you guys got him. Jeremy Cameron couldn't do it last week and it cost his side dearly. In addition, the down-side of our press is that it can still be beaten by fast, quality ball use.

The Pies and Cats tried to switch/double-switch to get through our press, with short-kicks cutting the angles through the middle, and it worked for a quarter or two, but we lifted our intensity in the second half, cut off their attacks and ran them over with stoppage dominance. It showed me that we were willing to adapt and raise the stakes, in a way I haven't really seen us do consistently since 2018.

We were slightly exposed in the middle last week without Redden and Yeo against a very talented GWS midfield on the bounce-back, but Nic is still an absolute weapon and gave us the edge for field position. The Tigers midfield is getting closer to full strength and Dusty is a megastar, but I don't think it's strictly better than the one we just played against (in terms of raw ability). Will be a tight contest in-and-under, with Nic and how you attempt to nullify his influence the wildcard.

So many tactical aspects to this clash. I hope for an awesome contest. And yes, the conditions are a great unknown. I am basing this post off our performances in Perth... We could just call it a draw and split the points now :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back