Preview Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick believes the Tigers will have the wood over West Coast when the ball is brought to ground at the MCG on Sunday.

Hardwick has been keeping his eye on the Eagles and believes limiting their contested marks and getting the ball to ground will give his team the advantage.

There is a high chance of showers in Melbourne for Sunday.
“We have been keeping an eye on them obviously and getting a good understanding of how they play,” Hardwick told AFL 360 on Monday night.

“They do play a little bit differently to other sides and it presents a challenge.

“They are incredibly strong in the contested marking game as well as the clearance game.

“Their ground ball stuff is the area where we probably excel that is once again the area they are not as good at.
“If we get the ball to ground we will be OK. But the fact of the matter is they have some big, tall boys that mark the ball and control the ball in the air. If we let them dominate that area of the game we are going to be in enormous trouble.”

Ammunition for our team?

Simmo: Hey boys, Hardwick says you aren't that great when the ball hits the ground. In an underhanded way he's saying you're all soft.

A number want Cameron in for Waterman
On Waterman,
A lot of that could be the balance of the team. He put in a good game, but having JK, JD, OA and Waterman in the same forward line is too much. Not just too tall, but it denies having a full complement of Ryan, Rioli, Cripps and Petrucelle at ground level.

If he plays as the wing/link in place of Masten, I can live with that. He can play up the ground and only occasionally drift forward. But as a fourth tall (or third when OA is rucking) is a bit much, except in burst.

With the flexibility of our guys, what I can handle is...

Setup 1. JK, JD and OA as the tall forwards. Waterman on the wing. Three of the four smalls up forward and the other on the bench or Cripps or Rioli having a run in the middle.
Setup 2. JK, JD and Waterman as the three tall forwards. OA having a run in the ruck. Petrucelle takes the wing spot and the other three smalls play forward. Play a mid on the wing for short spells to rotate someone onto the bench.
Setup 3. Giving a tall forward a bench rest. Play two tall forwards with Waterman on the wing OR Allen in the ruck.

Edit - I can handle Cameron in place of Waterman also. Love how he goes about it.

Ammunition for our team?

Simmo: Hey boys, Hardwick says you aren't that great when the ball hits the ground. In an underhanded way he's saying you're all soft.
The media were saying that would be our weakness in the 2018 finals series and we lifted to be the best at it over the 3 weeks 9f finals. It makes sense, Yeo, Shuey and Redden are great at winning contested ball.

I reckon we might surprise the tigers - pulling away to a 4 or 5 goal win in the 4th.

The popular tip for the GF preview. I'll probably get along to this one.

A bit of rain is tipped, so I'll lean to the Tiges in this one.

Ins & outs will be crucial.

No change.
If any its Cameron for Petch.

I got a greater appreciation for Waterman watching him live last week. He does a mountain of running and I didnt once see him get in the way of our other talls. I think he is safe this week.

Can't believe how often I read out-Waterman in those pages.
No way Waterman goes out after playing one of his best games.
That bit of play where he ran a mile to give an option then passed to someone just outside 50, ran inside 50 doing a hook lead, got the ball again about 40 out, collapsed because he was absolutely knackered, got the hurry up from ump, gulped in the big ones, went back and slotted the goal.
He didn't even worry about a hi 5 or celebration he just collapsed trying to get his breath back because of all the effort and work he put in.
And he kicked the goal, Which we really needed, when he was half dead with exhaustion.

Nah he stays.

If anyone has to make way for Cameron it is Petch but I don't even see that happening.

Ammunition for our team?

Yeah, nah.

Blind Freddy can see Richmond's strength is their ground ball surge forward type of play.

Just like everyone knows ours is a mark and kick style game.

We shouldn't need any ammunition.
We know what's on offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only change I can really see is Rotham or Cole in for Nelson.
Cole would be hungry as anything to get back in and prove himself and I think Rotham has smarts and class.
Rotham strikes me as the kind of player who plays better in the big league.

Can't believe Nelson didn't lay a tackle on the weekend. Going of the stats only he, Petrol and Jetta failed to lay a tackle.

Only change I can really see is Rotham or Cole in for Nelson.
Cole would be hungry as anything to get back in and prove himself and I think Rotham has smarts and class.
Rotham strikes me as the kind of player who plays better in the big league.

Can't believe Nelson didn't lay a tackle on the weekend. Going of the stats only he, Petrol and Jetta failed to lay a tackle.
I thought that our backline was at about 70% on Sunday with Jetta, Nelson, Hurn and Gov all below par. Shepherd was a bit off also after getting a heavy hit early in the game. Would like to see Cole continue to regain form and Duggan get fit and both return to the side for the final h&a game against Hawthorn. I just think that their inclusion makes the "unit" stronger.

Saw Jack try to lay several tackles. He's not a big build guy and just got shrugged off. He hasn't got a footy background so it shouldn't be that surprising that he struggles to stick them at this stage of his development.
At the moment, that's the big difference, one is a natural footballer and one isn't.
Both are speedy, one doesn't tackle as much and can panic kick, while the other tackles everything,
and rarely misses.
Maybe we need Cam and Petch for Tigers ground ball surge?
But isn't Cameron being 'rested' ?
Am also good with Dugs and Cole back in (both Premiership/big game players), but Nelson hasn't disappointed. A good problem to have!

Hope he kicks the sealer from the boundary on Sunday, then. :D
Yeah the sealer to end the first quarter, then we do the rest 😁
It’s going to be a great game and l hope we both bring our A game.
Two different styles coming together, l still believe your style is the neutraliser of ours.

My 2 cents;

1) Hickey was beaten pretty badly yesterday at the stop pieces, but he comfortably beat Jacobs all around the ground. No change to our rucks until Nic Nat returns

2) Schofield's presence at fullback helps Barrass and McGovern set up a kick behind the footy for their intercept games. He stays for that reason however there's a fair old argument to go smaller against Richmond's small forwards. Wouldn't be shocked either way as something is wrong with our defence at the minute.

3) I agree with those calling for a switch of Petch for Cameron - better defence and cleaner disposal

4) Kennedy played on an 2x AA defender and just missed a couple of clunks he'd normally take. But people calling for him to be dropped are off the reservation. Would people really want Waterman, Allen or Darling taking the oppositions #1 defender?
There is a reason why Waterman, Darling and Allen kicked 9 goals because they get the second, third and fourth defender. Where as JK will get Grimes or Atsbury this week and frees up the rest

Was Cameron the Emergency for Adelaide game ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes. Sort of

He and Masten were both held out of the WAFL so I think that if there was a late out on game day it would have been Masten coming in. Cameron was genuinely rested

But they both contributed well. Jets usually has important touches/kicks. Nelson did a commendable job on restricting Lynch. Petch still looking for his groove out there?
There is a reason why Waterman, Darling and Allen kicked 9 goals because they get the second, third and fourth defender. Where as JK will get Grimes or Atsbury this week and frees up the rest
Nailed it! All the usual talk resurfaces about JK getting old and losing his touch etc, just because he doesn't nail a bag of goals every game. His role has changed, in a sense he's the sacrificial lamb or decoy that sucks in 1-2 good defenders with set tactics or running patterns, allowing the others to get loose. He's still doing tireless defensive work and goal assists...and then some games, he does all this, and, kicks a swag of goals! The coach, and other players have just come to his defence-again. He says he wants to play on next year. He's just as likely to have a big game against Tigers or in the finals.
* Interesting comment from Shuey -" If we win great, we move on. But if we lose, it is not the end of the world.”

The media were saying that would be our weakness in the 2018 finals series and we lifted to be the best at it over the 3 weeks 9f finals. It makes sense, Yeo, Shuey and Redden are great at winning contested ball.

I reckon we might surprise the tigers - pulling away to a 4 or 5 goal win in the 4th.

We have just been ranked the 2nd best midfield.

How times are a changing!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back