Changes vs Richmond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Feel for Marshall a bit, everyone on Facebook hating on him, saying he should be out but we lost the game in the midfield, had shocking delivery inside 50 with long bombs. Despite this he still kicked 3 and the most goals for our team.

Easy to put blame on Marshall but I blame Boak, Wines, Butters, Rozee, Gray Hartlett who all had less than 3 disposals in the first quarter
And coaches permitting uncontested zone approach!

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting that Jones has come in ahead of Bergman.

Nothing against Piston going out, he was poor against WCE. But after the abysmal effort on Sat night, it’s piss weak if that’s the only change.

That isn’t surprising though, it’s the typical Hinkley token change. Drop the in-experience kid and leave in the underperforming senior players.
What do you replace them with against a battle hardened Richmond? I keep seeing drop the experienced blokes but replacement them with what, kids? We don't have any ready, SPP and Rockliff aren't fit or ready so there isn't much more.

What so the idea is drop Dixon, Boak, Wines & Gray for example of experienced players to replace them with Mead, Hayes, Williams and what McKenzie.

There's no point screaming for change, when the actual changes you want will decimate the side.

They lost bloody game, badly but you back them in, good sides don't chop and change each week off the back of a loss, from 2020 until now this side has backed up after a loss.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Permanently Party Pete you reckon.
I'm not sold he can be a AFL ruckman. I think Hayes is, I'm not sold on Ladhams just yet. He has glimpses of freakish talent there but the whole package hasn't come together yet.

I hope it does cause players with his tools and height are rare, but he reminds me of a Richmond ruckman in the early 2000's or so who was similar but didn't quite get there. I cannot remember the blokes name for the life of me but they're similar players.

Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Richmond love to surge the ball forward from the contest on the ground. There will be plenty of chances for Jones to get in there and make his presence felt.

I reckon if we were playing a more "bruise free" opposition with slower ball movement then Bergman might have been considered ahead of Jones.

I'm not sold he can be a AFL ruckman. I think Hayes is, I'm not sold on Ladhams just yet. He has glimpses of freakish talent there but the whole package hasn't come together yet.

I hope it does cause players with his tools and height are rare, but he reminds me of a Richmond ruckman in the early 2000's or so who was similar but didn't quite get there. I cannot remember the blokes name for the life of me but they're similar players.
He's not a great ruckman against most of the top 10, as he just gets outbodied by them, but he is a good 2nd ruckman. He has bloody great agility for a big bloke and can play as another midfielder at stoppages if the ball hits the ground. The first game I saw him play for the Magpies I wrote on here, he got to a lot of marking contests but dropped most of them.

One game this year I am going to watch a replay in full and take my own marking stats, ie how many contested marks he goes for, how many he gets his hands on the ball/majority of the ball and how many he drops. I'd be surprised if he took 25% of them. If he could get to around 50% he would be a bloody weapon.

He actually has pretty good forward craft and positioning for a ruckman, which is another asset he doesn't take full advantage of.

ROBBBO

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
So Ladhams dropped for poor form,but in Kenny’s next sentence says if Marshall doesn’t get up Ladhams comes in!!! You seriously couldn’t make this sh*t up.
sometimes its all the shake up a player needs mate

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He's not a great ruckman against most of the top 10, as he just gets outbodied by them, but he is a good 2nd ruckman. He has bloody great agility for a big bloke and can play as another midfielder at stoppages if the ball hits the ground. The first game I saw him play for the Magpies I wrote on here, he got to a lot of marking contests but dropped most of them.

One game this year I am going to watch a replay in full and take my own marking stats, ie how many contested marks he goes for, how many he gets his hands on the ball/majority of the ball and how many he drops. I'd be surprised if he took 25% of them. If he could get to around 50% he would be a bloody weapon.

He actually has pretty good forward craft and positioning for a ruckman, which is another asset he doesn't take full advantage of.

It is so disappointing given the chat in the off season about how much his marking had improved.

Then again we don't really have any hard checking, genuinely tall defenders for him to test himself against.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

He doesn't have the ruck craft to be a elite ruckman, Hayes from what I've seen of him in the Maggies has it, with his tap work, and where he positions himself around the ground, well he did last time I saw play live. Ladhams as you say is a second ruckman at the elite level.

You're dead right about his marking. If he can take more of them, he becomes dangerous, especially with the rules and how the game is umpired at 200 odd centimetres you can't stop it without giving away a free kick (unless the Dixon rules get applied to him then it's different).

He has a lot of tools to work with and develop, it's on him to get the best out of them all. That's the million dollar question with him.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Not happy we've dropped Ladhams. We'll see how it goes

What did he offer last week in particular to warrant keeping him in the side ahead of Georgiades or Marshall?

It's not like we are going small against Richmond - it's still going to be a 3 KPF forward line. Marshall and Dixon can go into the ruck for a few minutes here and there to help out Lycett. But in the grand scheme of things this really isn't a big deal imo.

If Ladhams was playing well then it would be another scenario entirely.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In his second to last game he had 20 touches, 11 marks and 4 goals. I'd suggest his teammates were using him there.

As I used to post ad nauseum when he was on our list, he never played more than 5 games in a row and as such was never able to build momentum. Key forwards take time to develop.

The fact that he was wildly underdeveloped and then delisted by a sh*t Port side was obviously going to make him less attractive to other AFL clubs and he probably felt burnt out on being delisted.
They can develop in the 2's as well you know!

If Butcher was consistently good enough, he would have made it as an AFL player .. here or on another list. He had the game, the skills, the ability, the body. He just didnt have the mind.

Last edited:

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Ladhams has been below 2020 form all year

Not disappointed at all he has been dropped

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't agree with bringing Jones in for this game. I think he has huge potential and I want to see him succeed at Port. But I don't think he's ready. I hope I am wrong.

I think Jones will come in and thrive and never be dropped again.

It is so disappointing given the chat in the off season about how much his marking had improved.

Then again we don't really have any hard checking, genuinely tall defenders for him to test himself against.
Last year I thought we should give him a run at CHB if we get into trouble against a team with two big forwards who exposed our lack of height. Don't want him to play there permanently, but get a bit of experience so that if we got into trouble in a big game, or finals game with an injury during the game, he could go to CHB fill in the gap and he wouldn't be a duck out of water. He would probably stop a KPF outmarking him in defence,, but doesn't mean he'd take the mark.

Last edited:

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why, when it comes to developing talls, does it become mandatory for Marshall to stay in for his development despite exposed form but when it comes to Ladhams he has to get dropped straight away?

HHHAMMERtime

All Australian
Oct 24, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why, when it comes to developing talls, does it become mandatory for Marshall to stay in for his development despite exposed form but when it comes to Ladhams he has to get dropped straight away?
Because Marshall has kicked 5 goals for the season from 2 games vs Ladhams 2 goals from 3, it’s pretty simple.

was injured during preseason and just came back in time to play round 1 sanfl. Not too surprising he was a bit rusty. Hopefully comes into some form over the next few weeks.
What do you mean just came back in time? He played in 2 SANFL trials the weeks before and was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back