Changes vs Richmond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was ok with giving Ladhams one more crack to rediscover his 2020 mojo. This corresponding fixture last year was where he really announced himself.

What I particularly remember from that game (apart from his freakish goal) was the obscene contested grabs he was clunking all over the ground. I guess if he is not giving us that then he is of much lower value to the team, so happy for him to try and get his marking going again at SANFL level.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So Ladhams dropped for poor form,but in Kenny’s next sentence says if Marshall doesn’t get up Ladhams comes in!!! You seriously couldn’t make this sh*t up.

I have zero problem with this. Hell I actually think it’s a great sign

for years my biggest gripe with hinkley and the biggest sin he committed that held our team back was ignoring the value of playing a structure.

I would play an inanimate carbon rod if the carbon rod was over 190cms in a team that needs the structure.

an average tall in a system is far more valuable than a good small.

we could lose ladhams from our lineup and still be structurally sound, but if we lost Marshall than offering ladhams a reprieve would be a sound coaching decision

I welcome those.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
They can develop in the 2's as well you know!

If Butcher was consistently good enough, he would have made it as an AFL player .. here or on another list. He had the game, the skills, the ability, the body. He just didnt have the mind.

I don't know they can develop in the 2s, in fact my opinion is that the SANFL is a terrible league for developing tall forwards.

We haven't developed a key forward to consistent AFL standard since Tredrea.

We're not just unlucky.

So Ladhams dropped for poor form,but in Kenny’s next sentence says if Marshall doesn’t get up Ladhams comes in!!! You seriously couldn’t make this sh*t up.

This is a fine concept really. Its essentially saying you've slipped to be our 5th preference for tall forwards, we only want to play 4, so you only get in if one of the 4 goes down. If we end up needing him hopefully that's enough of a wake up call, knowing Marshall is looming behind him.

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Why, when it comes to developing talls, does it become mandatory for Marshall to stay in for his development despite exposed form but when it comes to Ladhams he has to get dropped straight away?

It's mandatory to play adequate structure.

I was fine with Marshall being dropped for Georgiades, as long as we are playing a 3 tall forward setup. It's not ideal for Marshall's development but it might be for the best for the club. As it turned out, the club kept him in anyway which I think was a good decision.

Marshall will be a better player the more of a go he gets at AFL level. Prior to 2020, he was being left out so we could play Ryder/Westhoff/Nobody as a 2nd tall forward. Now we're sticking to a 3 tall system.

R4-Team-Selection-graphic.jpg

Daylight2nd

Debutant
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ladhams was bad but I'm guessing we're now playing Dixon as 2nd ruck? Not really ideal.
I reckon Lycett will ruck as close to 100% of centre & defensive bounces as he can manage. Dixon will probably thrive on taking the forward bounces (ala Tom Hawkins- wish he would also get away with all those push in the backs). Richmond use Astbury & Balta as their 2nd ruck. On form, Ladham's ruck work shouldn't be missed.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's mandatory to play adequate structure.

I was fine with Marshall being dropped for Georgiades, as long as we are playing a 3 tall forward setup. It's not ideal for Marshall's development but it might be for the best for the club. As it turned out, the club kept him in anyway which I think was a good decision.

Marshall will be a better player the more of a go he gets at AFL level. Prior to 2020, he was being left out so we could play Ryder/Westhoff/Nobody as a 2nd tall forward. Now we're sticking to a 3 tall system.

So you think a forward should have more chances to stay in ahead of a forward/ruck?

R4-Team-Selection-graphic.jpg
Ladhams and Bergman have been named among four emergencies, along with forward Boyd Woodcock and experienced utility Sam Mayes.

Bergman plays for the Magpies, as does Ladhams unless Marshall drops out, so Mayes as the medical sub most sense as he can play in the backlines, middle or half forward.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
So you think a forward should have more chances to stay in ahead of a forward/ruck?

Overall, yes, depending on talent. It's harder to develop a good key forward and a key forward's development suffers more from being dropped to the SANFL than a ruck IMO.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What do you replace them with against a battle hardened Richmond? I keep seeing drop the experienced blokes but replacement them with what, kids? We don't have any ready, SPP and Rockliff aren't fit or ready so there isn't much more.

What so the idea is drop Dixon, Boak, Wines & Gray for example of experienced players to replace them with Mead, Hayes, Williams and what McKenzie.

There's no point screaming for change, when the actual changes you want will decimate the side.

They lost bloody game, badly but you back them in, good sides don't chop and change each week off the back of a loss, from 2020 until now this side has backed up after a loss.
McKenzie was top 5 in the BnF last year. Would be more than happy with him coming in.

I don't agree with bringing Jones in for this game. I think he has huge potential and I want to see him succeed at Port. But I don't think he's ready. I hope I am wrong.
Funnily enough, I think the fact that we're playing Richmond actually helps him. I'd be worried about a team like West Coast exposing him with their system, but Richmond thrive on chaos, and I reckon Lachie will thrive on chaos too.

Since we've got 8 defenders, we may see Byrne-Jones push up to a wing sometimes, or Houston get a few mins in the middle.

If Hammer is struggling down back, I'd consider shifting him to half forward. Could be dangerous 50-60m out from goal.

Buget

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Since we've got 8 defenders, we may see Byrne-Jones push up to a wing sometimes, or Houston get a few mins in the middle.

If Hammer is struggling down back, I'd consider shifting him to half forward. Could be dangerous 50-60m out from goal.

I don’t think Hartlett has the leg anymore to be really dangerous 50-60 out. He has actually lost quite a bit of long kicking ability. Not sure about his midfield ability either.

although i think he should be in the team, I’m not sure where.

I don’t think Hartlett has the leg anymore to be really dangerous 50-60 out. He has actually lost quite a bit of long kicking ability. Not sure about his midfield ability either.

although i think he should be in the team, I’m not sure where.
He deffs doesn't have the ability to play in the midfield, I would have dropped him.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Ladhams out is a stupid move I reckon. If you want to drop a "tall", one of either Dixon, Marshall or Georgiades - not Ladhams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back