In: Keath,West,Sanders,Freijah,Cleary,Busslinger
Out: JJ,Khamis,Liberatore,Gallagher,Williams,JOD

Richards,Jones,Duryea
Cleary,Keath,Dale
Freijah,Bontempelli,Baker
West,Naughton,VDM
Clarke,Darcy,Garcia

English,Treloar,Sanders

Busslinger,Harmes,Macrae,JUH,Bramble (SUB)

Yes, too many changes - but there out apart from Libba were very poor.

Blood Freijah with Bramble as insurance.Blood Busslinger and reward Keath for good VFL form in the last month, looks fit.Cleary deserves a shot ahead of JJ.West back in,give Clarke another chance and play him in the pocket.

JOD & Khamis need to get some confidence back in the VFL, Gallagher needs a rest.Williams needs a rocket.

5 in defence experienced - keep Richards there for the whole game. Harmes to do the grunt work in the middle. Darcy rotating in ruck.JUH can start on the bench and be told to stay out of Naughtons way when he comes on....

Any player who kicks 15 metres sideways to be ripped from the ground. Any player who receives the 15 metre kick and then waits 10 seconds for the oppo to man up should also be ripped from the ground.Direct footy to exploit our tall forward advantage.

Don't see any massive changes. Haven't minded Ed in the middle but he really should have gone back when Libba returned. Probably a waste having the second best defender playing half forward. With Libba out again I think he stays middle.

Been a disappointing season for JOD so far. I think he is still promising but probably due for a run in the 2s. I'd bring Busslinger in for him. West is obviously straight back in. I haven't liked what we've done with Sanders this year. Didn't think he should have come out and definitely should've been straight back in last week. Surely he is an inclusion this week. We'll see if he is out of Bevo's bad books yet. Gallagher has shown some promising signs this year too but also probably due for a run in the 2s. Wouldn't be against him having stints at half back in the senior side. Just needs to learn how to get more of the ball because he can be impactful when he gets it. As awful as he was I hope Clarke gets another opportunity, feels pointless dropping him after one game.

B: Bramble, Jones, Khamis
HB: Dale, Busslinger, Duryea

R: English, Richards, Bontempelli
C: Williams, Treloar, Harmes

HF: Garcia, Naughton, Vandermeer
F: Darcy, Ugle-Hagan, West

I: Johannisen, Macrae, Sanders, Clarke
S: Gallagher or Baker

I think I went to 30+ games before we actually won one, what's sad though is at the time we were fighting to stay afloat both on and off the field where as now we are in a very healthy position off field however can't perform on field.
As a kid I went to almost every game in the 1980 to 1982 period. 10 wins and 56 losses. 30 of those by 8 goals or more, 9 by more than 90 points.Lost to the bombers by a combined 255 points in 1982. Started to improve in 83...

Happy days....our current situation is not comparable.

All of the sudden it’s hard to pick a team.

Out: Buku (or JOD), Baker, Bramble, Gags (could stay in as sub), Libba
In: Smokin Joel, Busslinger, West, Sanders and Dom

B: Ed, Jones, Buss
HB: JJ, JOD, Dale
C: Truck, Adz, Smokin Joel
HF: Vanders, Juh, West
F: Darcy, Naughty, Clarke
R: Chilli, Bont, Garcia
I: Doc, Macrae, Sanders, Harmes
Sub: Dom Bedendo

Excuse me but do we want players who smoke?

We have Freijah & Busslinger both pushing for a debut and Bedendo (2 games in 2022) also having his case pushed by a few here. Add to that Clarke has had a debut and probably deserves another chance, if only to help get him over the mental anguish of his less-than-illustrious first game.

There's a problem here. Four players worth giving a chance to and only three games experience between them. You can't bring them all in at once without running up the white flag against Richmond. Add to that the likelihood that we'll bring back 6 game 19yo Sanders to replace Libba.

Furthermore, the Richmond game is the last one for a while where they could be "eased" into the seniors against one of the middle/lower ranked teams. After that we have a really tough run against GWS, Sydney, Collingwood, Brisbane ... and maybe even Freo.

The most daring I'd be is to debut one of them and give Clarke a shot at redemption, even if he's only there as sub. Normally I'd prefer the debutant to be Freijah. He's earned it. However the greater need is in defence where opposition clubs may now have worked out how to deal with Khamis.

So IMO Busslinger is the better choice for debut, but I won't object at all if they go for Freijah instead.

I'll be concerned if they pick both though. It might work, but it's a risky ploy.

We have Freijah & Busslinger both pushing for a debut and Bedendo (2 games in 2022) also having his case pushed by a few here. Add to that Clarke has had a debut and probably deserves another chance, if only to help get him over the mental anguish of his less-than-illustrious first game.

There's a problem here. Four players worth giving a chance to and only three games experience between them. You can't bring them all in at once without running up the white flag against Richmond. Add to that the likelihood that we'll bring back 6 game 19yo Sanders to replace Libba.

Furthermore, the Richmond game is the last one for a while where they could be "eased" into the seniors against one of the middle/lower ranked teams. After that we have a really tough run against GWS, Sydney, Collingwood, Brisbane ... and maybe even Freo.

The most daring I'd be is to debut one of them and give Clarke a shot at redemption, even if he's only there as sub. Normally I'd prefer the debutant to be Freijah. He's earned it. However the greater need is in defence where opposition clubs may now have worked out how to deal with Khamis.

So IMO Busslinger is the better choice for debut, but I won't object at all if they go for Freijah instead.

I'll be concerned if they pick both though. It might work, but it's a risky ploy.
Whilst I understand where you are coming from Buss would be replacing either JOD or Buku, hardly seasoned players in shocking form. The other one to come in with Buss is Cleary as they have worked well together down back and again we lose nothing with their inexperience if it is for JID and Buku.

Freijah should be coming in as a winger or half back, hardly area's we are dominating and could do no worse.
than Baker, JJ or Bramble for that matter, they simply have no consistent from to demand a spot.

Players should come into the team based on consistent high level form in the VFL.

West will come in as a forward so may replace Clarke but there are others like VDM, I am sure Clarke do do a lot of staght line runs.

Sanders to replace Libba.

Never been a believer of just playing the kids for the sake of it. They need to earn it and those in the team are not performing. On this basis Williams could also be at risk

I would just go slightly smaller down back without Khamis. Richards and Williams are both capable of playing taller when required and at the moment we are struggling for run all over the park. I don't understand us having Richards midfield to accommodate playing 7 other defenders, none of which are as well balanced offensively and defensively as he is.

Not against Buss coming in but don't know that it's really required.

Why not? JOD & Gallagher should be two omissions. They both need to build up a body of work in the VFL before returning.

Why not? JOD & Gallagher should be two omissions. They both need to build up a body of work in the VFL before returning.
My concern is not so much their individual form but the collective inexperience. How many players with less than 5 games experience is too many in a side of 22?

If Gallagher stays in (unlikely) that’s another one. (Yes yes he’s had 8 games)

Just my opinion. Happy to differ. And hey it might work.

But if we go with 4 or 5 of them and collapse in a disorganised heap let’s not take it out on the kids.

My concern is not so much their individual form but the collective inexperience. How many players with less than 5 games experience is too many in a side of 22?

If Gallagher stays in (unlikely) that’s another one. (Yes yes he’s had 8 games)

Just my opinion. Happy to differ. And hey it might work.

But if we go with 4 or 5 of them and collapse in a disorganised heap let’s not take it out on the kids.
This speaks to my earlier comment:
We need to decide what we are.

Too many low-impact developmental projects named for us to be a premiership threat.

Too many low-to-moderate-impact veterans playing for us to be taking any sort of list refresh seriously.

Until we clarify this we will continue to be in no man's land in terms of performance output.
We can't go forward until we decide what we are.

If we are contending and wanting to win, then we absolutely are already carrying too many inexperienced players. People won't like it, but some of the ones around the fringes will need to be replaced by more mature but limited players that have played roles in the past.

If we aren't, then the balance of developing to mature is off in the other direction. There are too many experienced players offering little other than structure and support. Of course we can't name a team exclusively of <20 gamers, but the threshold for what level of leadership & maturity is needed is much lower than what we have now.

Screwing around between the two as we are now confers no real advantages whatsoever.

This speaks to my earlier comment:

We can't go forward until we decide what we are.

If we are contending and wanting to win, then we absolutely are already carrying too many inexperienced players. People won't like it, but some of the ones around the fringes will need to be replaced by more mature but limited players that have played roles in the past.

If we aren't, then the balance of developing to mature is off in the other direction. There are too many experienced players offering little other than structure and support. Of course we can't name a team exclusively of <20 gamers, but the threshold for what level of leadership & maturity is needed is much lower than what we have now.

Screwing around between the two as we are now confers no real advantages whatsoever.
Can this not be slightly mitigated by the position of the players however?
As in, I feel as though we're at much lower risk letting Clarke develop in a forward pocket or Gags off HFF/wing than having a bad game from an inexperienced player playing as a key back (JOD/Buku on the weekend) or a centre square mid (Sanders rd1)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can this not be slightly mitigated by the position of the players however?
As in, I feel as though we're at much lower risk letting Clarke develop in a forward pocket or Gags off HFF/wing than having a bad game from an inexperienced player playing as a key back (JOD/Buku on the weekend) or a centre square mid (Sanders rd1)
Partly yes, but it doesn't make that much difference when you employ an aggressive full-ground defensive scheme that requires your deepest forwards to set up in the defensive half of the ground for much of the time we're not in possession. Most of Clarke's involvement came between the arcs for this reason and he was a disaster. I'm not reading anything into him based on that game, mind you, but he definitely had a negative impact on our fortunes in all three phases on Sunday.

Had to laugh when this game was referred to as danger game for the dogs. We are simply not good enough to have danger games 50/50 against the worst teams as proved last week,

I just want to touch on Clarke debut. I actually think he had a real crack early. Probably the occasion got to him with his disposal but some of his movement looked ok. It was just execution which will come. Many many good players have had ordinary debuts. McLeod 4 disposals Jono brown zero disposal Jobe Watson 2 handballs. So it happens a lot and I’m sure the young fellas often play the game before it starts and there energy is taken up in the build up.
Definitely should be given another chance. Especially as the time he come we actually didn’t have a lot of inside 50’s as he was off the first 6/7 mins. Anyway we will see Thursday.
Jedd improving and is edging closer, freja looks good but not sure he is ready for the one on ones of afl footy just yet.
I’d play Alex Keath I think JOD needs a spell and I’d also give gags a spell.
Not sure Sanders comes in yet but maybe with libba out he is up. West obviously comes in.

Ins West Sanders Keath
Outs JOD Libba gags

Ed must go back. I listened to that champion data guy on SEN earlier and Ed was some of like the 6th highest rated defender.

Sanders has got to be playing. Hes a gun kid and if we are “evolving” and let’s face it, we’re not playing finals in 2024, he should be playing all year, in Libbas role.

Clarke looked super nervous with the first game jitters, so I reckon he should get another go.

I also reckon Buss should come in. Let’s have a look at him.

Partly yes, but it doesn't make that much difference when you employ an aggressive full-ground defensive scheme that requires your deepest forwards to set up in the defensive half of the ground for much of the time we're not in possession. Most of Clarke's involvement came between the arcs for this reason and he was a disaster. I'm not reading anything into him based on that game, mind you, but he definitely had a negative impact on our fortunes in all three phases on Sunday.
Disasters is a stretch. One turnover which resulted in a goal. Out backs couldn’t move the ball out of defenders and a number of senior players had turnovers resulting in goals. Like JJ bramble and one from
Dale

Ed must go back. I listened to that champion data guy on SEN earlier and Ed was some of like the 6th highest rated defender.

Sanders has got to be playing. Hes a gun kid and if we are “evolving” and let’s face it, we’re not playing finals in 2024, he should be playing all year, in Libbas role.

Clarke looked super nervous with the first game jitters, so I reckon he should get another go.

I also reckon Buss should come in. Let’s have a look at him.
I’d probably bring Cleary in for Bramble also.

i gone through all the posts on who should be dropped next round. The number is eleven, not you drop 11 players it is hard to argue that it is not reasonable any of them could be dropped maybe with the exception of Williams and you could probably add Garcia to the list. It is bloody hard to win with so many passengers.

JOD
Duryea
Williams
Gallagher
Bramble
Baker
Buku
Clarke
JJ
Macrae
VDM

i gone through all the posts on who should be dropped next round. The number is eleven, not you drop 11 players it is hard to argue that it is not reasonable any of them could be dropped maybe with the exception of Williams and you could probably add Garcia to the list. It is bloody hard to win with so many passengers.

JOD
Duryea
Williams
Gallagher
Bramble
Baker
Buku
Clarke
JJ
Macrae
VDM
Bit grim though VDM and Williams kicked two goals each