Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I just want to touch on Clarke debut. I actually think he had a real crack early. Probably the occasion got to him with his disposal but some of his movement looked ok. It was just execution which will come. Many many good players have had ordinary debuts. McLeod 4 disposals Jono brown zero disposal Jobe Watson 2 handballs. So it happens a lot and I’m sure the young fellas often play the game before it starts and there energy is taken up in the build up.
Definitely should be given another chance. Especially as the time he come we actually didn’t have a lot of inside 50’s as he was off the first 6/7 mins. Anyway we will see Thursday.
Jedd improving and is edging closer, freja looks good but not sure he is ready for the one on ones of afl footy just yet.
I’d play Alex Keath I think JOD needs a spell and I’d also give gags a spell.
Not sure Sanders comes in yet but maybe with libba out he is up. West obviously comes in.

Ins West Sanders Keath
Outs JOD Libba gags
Unfortunately Clark does not have enough attributes of a modern day small forward, apart from the odd goal scab from 30 metres in (which he is good at). I've watched a lot of the reserves and he is missing a lot of what is required, genuine pace, gut running, penetrating in his kicking, vision. Love his enthusiasm and hope he can make it, yet its going to be extremely tough for him, that's the reality.

Unfortunately Clark does not have enough attributes of a modern day small forward, apart from the odd goal scab from 30 metres in (which he is good at). I've watched a lot of the reserves and he is missing a lot of what is required, genuine pace, gut running, penetrating in his kicking, vision. Love his enthusiasm and hope he can make it, yet its going to be extremely tough for him, that's the reality.
The comparison has been made before but everything about him scream Jack Higgins who is a very valuable player. Unfortunately he's not a 'prototypical' small forward but we need to focus more on what players can do, rather than what they can't.

I just want to touch on Clarke debut. I actually think he had a real crack early. Probably the occasion got to him with his disposal but some of his movement looked ok. It was just execution which will come. Many many good players have had ordinary debuts. McLeod 4 disposals Jono brown zero disposal Jobe Watson 2 handballs. So it happens a lot and I’m sure the young fellas often play the game before it starts and there energy is taken up in the build up.
Definitely should be given another chance. Especially as the time he come we actually didn’t have a lot of inside 50’s as he was off the first 6/7 mins. Anyway we will see Thursday.
Jedd improving and is edging closer, freja looks good but not sure he is ready for the one on ones of afl footy just yet.
I’d play Alex Keath I think JOD needs a spell and I’d also give gags a spell.
Not sure Sanders comes in yet but maybe with libba out he is up. West obviously comes in.

Ins West Sanders Keath
Outs JOD Libba gags
I liked what he brought early, but for some reason I kept seeing him on the wing and at times on the edge of our defensive 50.

Disasters is a stretch. One turnover which resulted in a goal. Out backs couldn’t move the ball out of defenders and a number of senior players had turnovers resulting in goals. Like JJ bramble and one from
Dale
Several other bad scrubbed disposals in open field, along with missed tackles and losing his man in transition. It was a really bad day for him IMO.

Small forwards often cop the expectation young mids do of being able to compete immediately, but it's not commonly the case. It's a tough position to play. He's not ready for it at AFL level but that doesn't mean he won't be.

Last edited:
Clay Smith wasn't ticking those boxes either apart from gut running and vision.

Clarke had 4 pressure acts. For a small forward , thats not really acceptable.

FWIW, our running defenders bramble had 3, baker 4 and dale 5, combined with 4 from sam darcy and those are the 5 players with who applied the least amount of pressure from both sides in the game. Darce is a 208cm key position player, the others are small and fast....

Clarke had 4 pressure acts. For a small forward , thats not really acceptable.

FWIW, our running defenders bramble had 3, baker 4 and dale 5, combined with 4 from sam darcy and those are the 5 players with who applied the least amount of pressure from both sides in the game. Darce is a 208cm key position player, the others are small and fast....
In fairness he only played half the game. His numbers are more comparable to Duryea (7), JJ (8), and then a bunch of players including Vandermeer at 9. Still not a glowing endorsement by any stretch but the 4 is a bit misleading.

In fairness he only played half the game. His numbers are more comparable to Duryea (7), JJ (8), and then a bunch of players including Vandermeer at 9. Still not a glowing endorsement by any stretch but the 4 is a bit misleading.
He had a poor game no doubt but I would rather give him another 2-3 games to see if he can steady and find his feet at the level then bring in McNeil who we all know isn't good enough

He had a poor game no doubt but I would rather give him another 2-3 games to see if he can steady and find his feet at the level then bring in McNeil who we all know isn't good enough
It depends on our priorities. We can't just stack the team with inexperience and expect to win anything, so you have to figure out who most needs the exposure. Is it Freijah? Sanders? Buss? Clarke? Cleary? Khamis? Garcia? Darcy? Gallagher? O'Donnell? Bedendo? Jones?

I don't think Clarke's poor game was simply nerves and am comfortable with him biding his time with West back. Some of these other guys, though, would benefit more from the opportunity right now, IMO.

I know this board hates veteran role players but they are structurally very important. We are lacking that at the moment. If we want to win, we need more balance in the experience column.

It depends on our priorities. We can't just stack the team with inexperience and expect to win anything, so you have to figure out who most needs the exposure. Is it Freijah? Sanders? Buss? Clarke? Cleary? Khamis? Garcia? Darcy? Gallagher? O'Donnell? Bedendo? Jones?

I don't think Clarke's poor game was simply nerves and am comfortable with him biding his time with West back. Some of these other guys, though, would benefit more from the opportunity right now, IMO.

I know this board hates veteran role players but they are structurally very important. We are lacking that at the moment. If we want to win, we need more balance in the experience column.
Where is anyone saying to stack the team with the players you are mentioning.

Play them on form.

Form your list above that would leave out O'Donnell, Khamis, Bedendo, Jones and possibly Gallager

Where is anyone saying to stack the team with the players you are mentioning.

Play them on form.

Form your list above that would leave out O'Donnell, Khamis, Bedendo, Jones and possibly Gallager
I mean, just from the last few pages...
OUT: Libba, Gags, JOD, JJ, VDM
IN: Sanders, Freijah, Buss, Cleary, West,

All of the sudden it’s hard to pick a team.

Out: Buku (or JOD), Baker, Bramble, Gags (could stay in as sub), Libba
In: Smokin Joel, Busslinger, West, Sanders and Dom

In: Keath,West,Sanders,Freijah,Cleary,Busslinger
Out: JJ,Khamis,Liberatore,Gallagher,Williams,JOD

My point is that we're already heavy on inexperience for a side that sees themselves making finals. We've gotta find the right balance, which will require some veteran role players. I'm not objecting to playing these guys on form, I'm just disagreeing with the sentiment that we can afford to give young guys a go to see if they can find the level.

We don't have any good role players that is our problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't have any good role players that is our problem
I think we're seriously lacking quality mature depth across most of the park at the moment, agree. I think carrying some slightly out of form guys that have been around a lot longer (1) gives us a better chance of winning, and (2) gives the kids a better opportunity to show what they've got at AFL level, than a side as inexperienced as ours currently are, though.

I don't have the answer, and I haven't watched the VFL recently so I don't have a particular opinion on who does/doesn't deserve to be in the side. I just feel strongly about the balance in our team being off atm. There were a lot of lost inexperienced players on Sunday.

I think we're seriously lacking quality mature depth across most of the park at the moment, agree. I think carrying some slightly out of form guys that have been around a lot longer (1) gives us a better chance of winning, and (2) gives the kids a better opportunity to show what they've got at AFL level, than a side as inexperienced as ours currently are, though.

I don't have the answer, and I haven't watched the VFL recently so I don't have a particular opinion on who does/doesn't deserve to be in the side. I just feel strongly about the balance in our team being off atm. There were a lot of lost inexperienced players on Sunday.
From watching the VFL Freijah and Buss both need to be in and have been very good all year, Garcia needs more of a run on ball as does Sanders,

We aren't winning with the mature guys in there now shake it up

I don't think you can put too many debutants/inexperienced players in at once.

Think in this instance I'd prioritise Buss and Freijah (both) to play at the G.

Sanders next cab I guess but would prefer just 2 debutants.

My point is that we're already heavy on inexperience for a side that sees themselves making finals. We've gotta find the right balance, which will require some veteran role players. I'm not objecting to playing these guys on form, I'm just disagreeing with the sentiment that we can afford to give young guys a go to see if they can find the level.
We aren't playing finals though. Those kids are the in-form players in our top of the ladder reserves team. They aren't just coming in on the basis of youth

We aren't playing finals though. Those kids are the in-form players in our top of the ladder reserves team. They aren't just coming in on the basis of youth
This is more it for me,

Reality is like it or not we will be lucky to make finals and will have no impact if we do somehow make it,

The kids are the clear standouts every week in the 2s bring them in and give them genuine roles and responsibilities

I don't think you can put too many debutants/inexperienced players in at once.

Think in this instance I'd prioritise Buss and Freijah (both) to play at the G.

Sanders next cab I guess but would prefer just 2 debutants.
If we drop as we should JOD, Buku we only have 1 more than this week if you bring in all 3. If we also send Gallagher and or Clark back no reason at all not to bring back Sanders and Clearly. All 4 of which are in better form than those they would replace

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is more it for me,

Reality is like it or not we will be lucky to make finals and will have no impact if we do somehow make it,

The kids are the clear standouts every week in the 2s bring them in and give them genuine roles and responsibilities
Reward form

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If it was say Buss for Buku/JOD and Freijah for Gallagher, we actually aren’t losing that much experience

Several other bad scrubbed disposals in open field, along with missed tackles and losing his man in transition. It was a really bad day for him IMO.

Small forwards often cop the expectation young mids do of being able to compete immediately, but it's not commonly the case. It's a tough position to play. He's not ready for it at AFL level but that doesn't mean he won't be.
Yeah two scrubbed kicks were not great. Which player did he lose in transition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back