Preview Changes vs Roos Rnd 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Melksham even captained the club in 2020 for a game - bizarre

Yeah he must do a lot right off the field because he does nothing right on it. Not trying to lay the boot in but he'd almost be the last player picked on the list for me, I'd rather get a look at ANY of the younger players than play him.

Surely this would be a good game to give someone else a crack. We know what Melk offers and it’s not much
Melksham has been playing onball and forward in the VFL, which is probably the closest to the Harmes role.

Laurie has also played that role, but Melksham is more experienced of course.

But I agree, surely a game against a weak North was a good one to debut Laurie or give Bedford a full game.

If it was Freo the week after, or Brisbane or Geelong, I’d understand more going with the old hand in Melksham.

i wouldn't have picked Melksham myself but i can understand it, plus he was an emergency last week too.
but if Melk doesn't play well against the lowly Roos then its probably career over for him then anyway. one last chance to show what he's got to offer and then onto someone else if he can't get a kick.

also i feel it's still a little too early for Laurie just yet. he's showed a bit of talent at times this year, but i reckon he still hasn't really played a four qtr game yet at Casey. just keep him building at Casey for now and we should have a good player once he does.

I believe the club has been pushing roles over disposals and stats. So I suggest that whoever replaces Harmes will be able to fill his role. That might not be Bedford or Dunstan.
Yep, loved Melkys role at VFL level last week when he had.. checks note

Oh that's right, he didn't even play VFL last week either..

Crazy Goody absolutely doing all he can to get his Essendon mate back into the team.

Meanwhile what message does this selection send to the likes of Bedford and even Bailey Laurie that are constantly banging the door down at VFL week in week out.

Not only that Melksham is about to turn 31 and way past it. He should be the Majak Daw, Mitch Brown category of being selected when we are hit with injuries.

This game would have been perfect opportunity to see if Bedford has what it takes at AFL while Harmes is out for a few weeks or even just giving Laurie a taste of AFL action and the requirements and standards he needs to get at if he wants to break into the team on a consistent basis.

For all the good things Goody has done, this is the s**t thing that annoys me with him at times.

I am going to claim predicting picking Melksham :)

His best is more than good enough, but he is just not consistent so lets see what we get. I think Nathan Jones was helped to 300 last year so there is form...

I also feel while this is not only the rise of Melbourne it is also the fall as fringe players start to look elsewhere for opportunities and the depth fades. It can't be helped.

I did not see who is the medi-sub though ?

Never been a fan of gifting games, as everyone is aware with my Jones rants last year, bit weird how some people think it was alright for him but not Melksham, pick a side of the fence and stick to it.

Never been a fan of gifting games, as everyone is aware with my Jones rants last year, bit weird how some people think it was alright for him but not Melksham, pick a side of the fence and stick to it.
Sometimes the fence has the greatest view. 🤺

🤗

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree mate. Jones is a club champion but you could tell what they were doing last year. Melksham shouldn’t be anywhere near the team right now.

Melky didn't play last week because he travlelled with the team - clearly was close to selection. As many others have alluded to, he is a direct like for like with Harmesy. I'm pleased.

Honestly not too concerned about Melk being picked. If he was the difference between us winning and losing to Norf, then we have bigger problems. Happy to get the campaigner to 200 then never see him again. The bigger concern is against Freo/Swans the weeks after. I guess we figure a more senior player would be best suited against these sides where the pressure will be hot and a like for like role is more ideal. It's a very Clarko strategy and it's worked for us the past year of two. Bedford is more a replacement for Koz, Spargs and ANB I'd reckon. The sad thing is, Chandler probably would have got the call up had he not gotten suspended...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back