Preview Changes vs Saints (and Jam preference) - OMac, T Smith and Baker for Lockhart, Preuss and May

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
PhotoEditor_20190722_132535827.jpg

We actually played alright other than set shots in the 1st qtr and running out of gas.

If Weid and Smith are fit Preuss is in trouble. Lockhart did nothing and looks like Viney might miss a little bit

Out: Lockhart, Preuss, Viney (inj)
In: JKH, Smith/Weid, Baker

Give some of Viney's midfield mins to Trac or JKH or something

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
We actually played alright other than set shots in the 1st qtr and running out of gas.

If Weid and Smith are fit Preuss is in trouble. Lockhart did nothing and looks like Viney might miss a little bit

Out: Lockhart, Preuss, Viney (inj)
In: JKH, Smith/Weid, Baker

Give some of Viney's midfield mins to Trac or JKH or something
No point playing JKH. Clearly not in the plans for 2020. Unless his form is warranted at VFL level I’d be leaving him. Honestly we are better keeping Lockhart in. Preuss can go for Smith. At least Smith competes. Probably Baker for Viney.

In: Smith, Baker
Out: Preuss, Viney

Really not much point doing much else

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Corey kicked two and did a couple of good things. Even though I don't rate him as AFL standard, I think he should keep his spot so we can see once and for all if he's up to it.

Josh and his pitching wedge left foot can be dropped forever hopefully.

Crazy Goody was right about one thing this year: Gawn and Preuss can't coexist. Backup only.

May as well play the kids even though we don't have many.

In. Dunkley, Weideman, Jordon
Out. J Wagner, Preuss, Viney

No need for Jordon if Viney is fit.

I like Trac in the middle. He pretty much can't be done HTB like Dusty and can at least roost it 50+m even if his kicking is average.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I quite enjoyed watching Pruess lumber around like giraffe in quicksand. Keep him in, just make sure he's shown footage of his crappy tackle all week to remind him of what we never ever want to see from him ever again. Would rather he copped a two week suspension for accidentally killing someone than whatever it was he was trying to do. Softest, most pissweak faux-tackle I've ever seen.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The only excuse I’ve got for Pruess there is maybe.. perhaps.. he was worried about that sling free kick thing.

One of our players (Fritsch?) got pinged for a terrible one earlier in the game as the ball crossed the near boundary.

I’ve never seen Pruess shirk a tackle before - he enjoys hurting others.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
The only excuse I’ve got for Pruess there is maybe.. perhaps.. he was worried about that sling free kick thing.

One of our players (Fritsch?) got pinged for a terrible one earlier in the game as the ball crossed the near boundary.

I’ve never seen Pruess shirk a tackle before - he enjoys hurting others.
I said the same thing in the GDT, we'd given away a couple of sling free kicks, and a few holding after disposal free kick etc, so he way maybe just trying to be careful ... ironically, if he did give away a free kick, we'd have time to get bodies back inside 50, and might have been able to prevent the goal that was kicked.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
We’re actually starting favourites against the Saints funnily enough, we’ve been at decent odds all year really, given how shite we’ve been.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I said the same thing in the GDT, we'd given away a couple of sling free kicks, and a few holding after disposal free kick etc, so he way maybe just trying to be careful ... ironically, if he did give away a free kick, we'd have time to get bodies back inside 50, and might have been. able to prevent the goal that was kicked.

We are very generous you and I.

Pretty certain Goody would say I dont give a s**t, stick the tackle no matter what.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
We are very generous you and I.

Pretty certain Goody would say I dont give a s**t, stick the tackle no matter what.
Something about him reminds me of my 4 year old, and I have trouble holding her to account as well.

Yeah, I think he'll see that a few times in his review, so we may as well leave him in the team this week, it'll be fun to watch him clump around trying to hurt people.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
The battle of meh.

Just didn't work for Lockhart, was it just J.Wagner that did the dodgy passes in the middle ? They are the only two I can think of that are at risk. Team needs to persist with Preuss I believe (hopefully they show him that dropped mark and tackle over and over again all week).

Otherwise I thought the team did pretty well, in general and totally ignoring crap goal kicking.

I did like a comment from Lloyd or Bartel on afl.com.au in that the team can't afford to waste these years that Gawn is at his prime, and this is a wasted year.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
No point playing JKH. Clearly not in the plans for 2020. Unless his form is warranted at VFL level I’d be leaving him. Honestly we are better keeping Lockhart in. Preuss can go for Smith. At least Smith competes. Probably Baker for Viney.

In: Smith, Baker
Out: Preuss, Viney

Really not much point doing much else
JKH is warranted on Casey form. I get we've seen him enough, but he deserves a game based on his form there. More so than Dunkley, Hannan, Josh Wagner, Corey Wagner sans his game against Footscray, Lockhart and even baker in recent times.

Clearly his papers are stamped, but so too should a 28 year old Tim Smith, who's in and out at a similar frequency to my wife's purchasing of sanitary pads, AVB, who, whilst a decent player, has similar confirmed sightings the past 3 years as bigfoot, Billy stretch, Maynard, Garlett and KK, who would get concussed running past spargo's shadow.

I really don't care about whoever's in and out. It's fait accompli we will be in the game for 3 quarters Saturday night, and 1 quarter we will be overrun. Just depends which quarter it is that happens!

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The battle of meh.

Just didn't work for Lockhart, was it just J.Wagner that did the dodgy passes in the middle ? They are the only two I can think of that are at risk. Team needs to persist with Preuss I believe (hopefully they show him that dropped mark and tackle over and over again all week).

Otherwise I thought the team did pretty well, in general and totally ignoring crap goal kicking.

I did like a comment from Lloyd or Bartel on afl.com.au in that the team can't afford to waste these years that Gawn is at his prime, and this is a wasted year.
Meh
If you have an elite midfield you don't need an elite ruck anyway.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Also don't really understand what people expect from our players. JWag and Lever both stuffed up kicks into the corridor looking to open up the play. Both are just new back into the side so aren't going to be going at 100% but just like usual only Wagner cops it. The bloke played fine, when Brayshaw just lobs it down the line people aren't happy with that but then immediately want someone dropped who tries to bring it inside.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
We’re actually starting favourites against the Saints funnily enough, we’ve been at decent odds all year really, given how s**t we’ve been.
Got $1.98 vs westcoast at <39.

Basically free money. Saints paying $2.08 this week but the real value will be saints plus 40. $7.75 at the moment against a team off a 6 day interstate break, without a forward line, with a slow, unaccountable midfield on a cold night under the roof, all too cold to chase. New coach freeing the saints up, they'll kick well over 100 again and we will struggle to 65-70 Like most weeks.

I think this is the week they give right up.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also don't really understand what people expect from our players. JWag and Lever both stuffed up kicks into the corridor looking to open up the play. Both are just new back into the side so aren't going to be going at 100% but just like usual only Wagner cops it. The bloke played fine, when Brayshaw just lobs it down the line people aren't happy with that but then immediately want someone dropped who tries to bring it inside.
Good call, found it weird he copped some flak as I thought he had a pretty handy game. He's entitled to cop it most weeks, but thought both Wagner's weren't horrible. That kick sticks out, but thought he spread, gave an option out of the backline and was fairly sturdy.

We have too many inside mids. Viney out will help that balance.

In: Baker
Out: Lockhart

May as well keep Preuss in with nothing to play for but pride, let him work on his groove with Gawn.

Wagner does it whether he's fresh or not. If we had someone better to bring in, I would. But we don't.

Back