Preview Changes vs ST KILDA. Elimination final preview (GABBA- Sat 3rd October). Happy now??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who doesn't disagree with much of that. The 2016 comments and midfield being one of the worst performed are BS but I see an argument for the rest.

You think you could argue that Bevo is one of the worst coaches in the AFL?

Going from last weeks team as compared to when we played them in round 2 are outs are:
Dale, Gowers, Lloyd, Suckling, Vandemeer, Jong

Our ins are:
Liberatore, Wood, Hunter, Cordy, Durea, R Smith

As long as our 2 injury concerns get up we are significantly better in both skill but more importantly contest and presser than we last met them.

They are not a bad team so it will not be easy, but our team is on the ground at any one time could be up to 1/3rd different than last time so has little relevance on how we go.
This!
The difference in quality equates to the addition of 4 premiership players.
We are a totally different team with those additions - especially a fit and firing Libba!

Can probably change the thread title to Saints rather than someone, mods.
I think it's probably locked in by now.

Can change the venue to the Gabba but rather like giving them nothing and no identity. Never forgiven autumn leaves Riewoldt for that stage against Lake that cost us the prelim. If it happen now he would cop a fine for a stage.

In the wake of the $1000 fine handed to Richmond’s Alex Rance for staging against Essendon last weekend — and the flurry of criticism that has been aimed at Rance since — a cheeky Murphy came prepared to dish the dirt on Riewoldt on Wednesday night.

With Murphy’s Bulldogs and Riewoldt’s Saints fighting for a Grand Final spot in the 2009 preliminary final, Murphy prompted the Fox Footy control room to roll vision of the touchy free kick awarded to the former St Kilda forward at the start of the third term.

As Riewoldt runs towards his starting position, ex-Dogs defender Brian Lake makes a slight beeline and bumps the unexpected Riewoldt, who appears to exaggerate contact.

Last edited:
This!
We are a totally different team with those additions - especially a fit and firing Libba!
Actually 5 premiership players different from round 2, Durea did play in premierships with the Hawks

Geary uber spud will tag Caleb.

He has no skills so that is all he can do
Geary isn't a spud. He is a very good player, doesnt quite get it enough, but after seeing some stuff first hand from the Saints defensive coach a few years ago, can definitely appreciate what he does for them.

This!

Things can change around quickly we beat GWS by 10 goals 2 weeks before first final last season and they beat us by 10 goals 2 weeks later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you don’t respect the Saints and belittle them, you may be priming yourself for a melt. Why put yourself through the pain?

Watch their game this season against Port Adelaide. They did a number on them & cut them to shreds. I think it was at the AO too. M

Marshall is my biggest worry, Tim needs to hurt them the other way.

Saints have been very good this season, total turn around. Saturdays game should be the best game of the first week. Could make a case either way, but of course we will win it. Heres hoping some saints are deers in the headlights like we were against GWS.

Making finals again this year was expected, winning at least 1 is a pass mark. And if we do both Port and Geelong are vulnerable if we bring our game. Who knows from there. Anythings possible from 7th!!

Things can change around quickly we beat GWS by 10 goals 2 weeks before first final last season and they beat us by 10 goals 2 weeks later.
You know the GWS Giants had seven changes to their team from Round 22 to the Elimination Final a little similar to the glorious 2016 finals when we were kings i have the full run down of who was up and who was down for those two games, but basically it was not the same team.

I remember us making the finals last year, for the first time since 2016. We seemed a little nervous and didn’t play to our full potential. We were bullied.

The Saints haven’t made the finals since 2011. They have been a fantastic home and away team this year, but finals are a whole different beast. Who actually has any finals experience on their team? Geary? Dougal Howard? Ryder?

We know what to expect in finals, they don’t. Gives us a massive advantage that shouldn’t be dismissed.

You know the GWS Giants had seven changes to their team from Round 22 to the Elimination Final a little similar to the glorious 2016 finals when we were kings i have the full run down of who was up and who was down for those two games, but basically it was not the same team.

I am aware there were number of changes still does not change the fact there can be big turn around so be can turn our thrashing by the saints early in the season if we play well.

This is what gives me hope against the Saints. Wood, Hunter, Libba, Cordy, Durea. Different team.

I have have just been reading though as like you I am looking forward to the game, and after read the posts I thought some of you may be interested in additional information as you had questions on the Saints, and so I will give some answers below.

Firstly both teams have been somewhat up and down this season. Both teams have been have at times been brilliant, and at times dreadful.

Both teams are vulnerable when the opposition does not let them play their preferred style. (ie Pies and Cats games for St Kilda)

So the final could be a cracking game, or it could be either team getting on top. I am expecting a cracking game, but with ebbs and flows as each team dominates at times.

Both teams are well matched including both teams having two players expecting babies soon. Geary and Carlisle for StKilda. Geary's partner is in the hub, Carlisle's is not.

While well matched each team has different strengths. Dogs have better mids, Saints have better rucks.

They are actually older than us,

Attributes from our last games.
Saints will probably swap Kent for Jones. Jones is slightly younger, has played slightly more games and physically are similar. So averages will be almost the same. Though Jones is better.

1600821941866.png

1600822014923.png

So on attributes teams are very similar. Subject to what selection changes the Dogs and St Kilda make.

no finals experience apart from their new recruits.

Finals experience of current St Kilda players:

Jake Carlisle - 1 final with Essendon
Zak Jones - 7 finals with Sydney including 1 Grand Final
Shane Savage - 3 finals with Hawthorn including 1 Grand Final = May not be elected
Brad Hill - 12 finals with Hawthorn including a Premiership
Dan Hannebery - 21 finals with Sydney including a Premiership
Jarryn Geary - 1 final with St Kilda
Dan Butler - 3 finals with Richmond including a Premiership
Dylan Roberton - 2 finals with Fremantle = May not be selected
Paddy Ryder - 3 finals with Essendon & Port Adelaide
Dougal Howard - 1 final with Port Adelaide

Note Nathan Brown has also played finals, but is not in the hub, and has effectively retired.

Daniel. Rats knows he is important, as do I. I don't think it is a coincidence that Daniel was quiet in the last two games we won, and very good in the one prior that Dogs won. I doubt Geary will be on Daniel though as was not the last two games.

JJ more likely as for Geary to tag. Plus in my opinion our backline now works better this year when Geary is not in it. Paton plays his lockdown role better, and unlike Geary has a good offensive game including being a good kick which Geary is not and has great pace (which means that he also does better on fast small forwards that Geary struggled to stay with).

Bont. Obviously a huge threat. I suspect Rats will use Ross on him when on the ball, and Wilkie when Bont goes forward.

Battle. The question was asked where he plays. This season it has been pretty much everywhere and he has been up forward, down back and on the wing and often multiple roles in the one game. Last game it was as a defensive forward on Haynes and he did very well at dragging Haynes away from the play, and in punishing Haynes when Hanes tried to drift away. Haynes intercept marking had killed us in the past.
In 2019 it was mainly CHB as we had many injuries to tall backs and he did well in the Rising Star playing there. Prior to that mainly up forward on a flank.

Last edited:
I have have just been reading though as like you I am looking forward to the game, and after read the posts I thought some of you may be interested in additional information as you had questions on the Saints, and so I will give some answers below.

Firstly both teams have been somewhat up and down this season. Both teams have been have at times been brilliant, and at times dreadful.

Both teams are vulnerable when the opposition does not let them play there preferred style.

So the final could be a cracking game, or it could be either team getting on top. I am expecting a cracking game, but with ebbs and flows as each team dominates at times.

Both teams are well matched including both teams having two players expecting babies soon. Geary and Carlisle for StKilda. Geary's partner is in the hub, Carlisle's is not.

While well matched each team has different strengths. Dogs have better mids, Saints have better rucks.

Attributes from our last games.
Saints will probably swap Kent for Jones. Jones is slightly younger, has played slightly more games and physically are siilar. So averages will be almost the same. Though Jones is better.

View attachment 968644

View attachment 968645

So on attributes teams are very similar. Subject to what selection changes the Dogs and StKilda make.

Finals experience of current St Kilda players:

Jake Carlisle - 1 final with Essendon
Zak Jones - 7 finals with Sydney including 1 Grand Final
Shane Savage - 3 finals with Hawthorn including 1 Grand Final = May not be elected
Brad Hill - 12 finals with Hawthorn including a Premiership
Dan Hannebery - 21 finals with Sydney including a Premiership
Jarryn Geary - 1 final with St Kilda
Dan Butler - 3 finals with Richmond including a Premiership
Dylan Roberton - 2 finals with Fremantle = May not be selected
Paddy Ryder - 3 finals with Essendon & Port Adelaide
Dougal Howard - 1 final with Port Adelaide

Note Nathan Brown has also played finals, but is not in the hub, and has effectively retired.

Daniel. Rats knows he is important, as do I. I don't think it is a coincidence that Daniel was quiet in the last two games we won, and very good in the one prior that Dogs won. I doubt Geary will be on Daniel though as was not the last two games.

JJ more likely as for Geary to tag. Plus in my opinion our backline now works better this year when Geary is not in it. Paton plays his lockdown role better, and unlike Geary has a good offensive game including being good kick and has great pace (which means that he also does better on fast small forwards that Geary struggled to stay with).

Bont. Obviously a huge threat. I suspect Rats will use Ross on him when on the ball, and Wilkie when Bont goes forward.

Battle. The question was asked where he plays. This season it has been pretty much everywhere and he has been up forward, down back and on the wing and often multiple roles in the one game. Last game it was as a defensive forward on Haynes and he did very well at dragging Haynes away from the play, and in punishing Haynes when Hanes tried to drift away. Haynes intercept marking had killed us in the past.
In 2019 it was mainly CHB as we had many injuries to tall backs and he did well in the Rising Star playing there. Prior to that mainly up forward on a flank.

Fair comments.

I think it is good for the dogs if the saints are that concerned about our strengths that they have to tag 3 of our players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back