Preview Changes vs ST KILDA. Elimination final preview (GABBA- Sat 3rd October). Happy now??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re doing the same thing you’re accusing HBG of doing by understating how good we were in 2016.
I can’t speak for all dog fans but the ones I know were confident we could go all the way in 2016 after our EF loss to the Crows the year prior

Apart from a couple of poor games which still only resulted in small margined losses, we were one of the best performing teams all season with only one game being a blow out loss. Finishing with a 15-7 record.

The pessimism leading in to the WC final was purely because it was WC in Perth. Teams just don’t win their, especially us.
Apart from that, we were balls deep in that finals series and to suggest we played above our ability at the time is off the mark.
I agree that if you were to ask dogs supporters at the start of 2016 or even in round 15 of that year if we were capable of winning some would have definitely said yes.

But you are leaving out a lot of important detail. Don’t forget what happened at the tail end of that year. Bob had already done an ACL, then Libba did his ankle, Macrea did a hammy, Wood did a hammy, Dahlhaus did a knee and Stringer was in the 2s.

Hamling had not been sighted for most of the year, nor had Clay and Tom Boyd was only beginning to be somewhat competitive. Key Finals contributors like McLean, Daniel, Cordy, and Dunkley were far from proven.

As an activity I would love for you to go through player for player and compare our elimination final team from 2016 vs the one that will line up on Saturday. You’ll find that we are actually a lot more experienced, proven and balanced all over the ground. The unfortunate thing, is we haven’t played like we are this year.

Leading up to the first final against the Eagles in 2016 absolutely no one gave us a chance of winning. And that includes the most one-eyed Bulldogs supporters. The Eagles were the hottest team heading into the finals having beaten a number of top 8 sides at the tail end of the regular season.
I get where you’re coming from but don’t rewrite history to suit your argument. In 2016 you could have said we were a step below West Coast, Hawthorn and Geelong but the team had another gear that we hadn't seen.
They key question’s are “do we have that extra gear this year” and “are we primed for it right now“.
I see a lot of similarities between our personal then and now and think the massive gap in onfield leadership at the club is overblown. The main difference is Matty Boyd and Dale Morris... the inclusions of Keath and Duryea are fair replacements and I think Gardner is shaping up to be the ‘Fletcher Roberts’ of 2016.
The exciting difference is our tall forwards. They are the X-factor and could explode in the finals just like Picko and Clay in 2016. English could go to another level just like Roughead in 2016... what I’m getting at is we had no idea that the boys had that in them in 4 years ago... I’m feeling similar vibes right now

I think you’re spot on and despite what others think, I believe our named squad for Saturday will have our 2016 elimination finals team covered easily.

Midfield (2020 way better)

In 2016 three of our best inside midfielders (Macrae, Libba and Dahlhaus) were coming off of long injuries. Bont, Hunter and Jong were the other mainstays. Others going through included Dunkley, McLean and Daniel. That was a talented but very young and inexperienced midfield.

Compare that to a fit and firing 2020 Libbba, Macrae, Bont, Hunter, Dunkley, Smith, and Lipinski. Every single player in that midfield is better than their 2016 equivalent. Some a lot better.

Rucks (2020 better)

Roughead would certainly have English covered for hitouts but thats about it. English kicks more goals takes more marks, is a better user by hand and foot and covers more ground.

Tom Boyd in 2016 had shown no more than Bruce has this year, not to mention his club imposed suspension. Where Bruce has Boyd covered is his intensity and contest. We never saw much of that from Boyd until the prelim.

Defense (2020 Better)

2016 vs 2020
Boyd = Duryea
Johannisen = Daniel
Biggs = Williams
Morris = Cordy
Wood = Wood
Roberts = Gardener
Hamling = Keath
+ Crozier

Boyd and Morris may be the two best players on that list but the 8 defenders we now play easily have the 2016 bunch covered as a collective. It’s more versatile, better in the air, better by foot, and bats way deeper. Apart from Morris it is also a lot more experienced. Also, don’t forget that Joel Hamling couldn’t get a game for much of 2016.

Forwards (All Square)

2016: Stringer, Dickson, Clay, Picken, Cordy and Boyd

vs

2020:Naughton, Wallis, Vandemeer, Johannisen, Richards and Bruce

Stringer had been in the Magoos for a couple weeks and Clay was only a few games back from his 3rd knee reco. Cordy had just debuted in a position he had never played before. Boyd was miles off being an AFL quality key forward. Picken would go on to kick almost as many goals in the finals as he had kicked throughout the entire season. Dicko was the reliable stalwart, similar to Wallis this year.

In 2020 it’s definitely our weakest line but it actually has more structure and versatility than in 2016. Naughton, Wallis, Vandemeer, Johannisen and Bruce have just as much potential to kick a score as would have been expected from the 2016 group based on their form going into finals.

Conclusion: We have as much potential (probably a lot more) than we did in 2016. Our chosen 22 on Saturday will have the equivalent side from 2016 well and truly covered. As I keep saying, personnel is not the issue for our club it’s performance. If we bring anywhere near the same sort of endeavor that we did in 2016 with our current list, we will do some serious damage.

I think you’re spot on and despite what others think, I believe our named squad for Saturday will have our 2016 elimination finals team covered easily.

In 2016 three of our best inside midfielders (Macrae, Libba and Dahlhaus) were coming off of long injuries. Bont, Hunter and Jong were the other mainstays. Others going through included Dunkley, McLean and Daniel. That was a talented but very young and inexperienced midfield.

Compare that to a fit and firing 2020 Libbba, Macrae, Bont, Hunter, Dunkley, Smith, and Lipinski. Every single player in that midfield is better than their 2016 equivalent. Some a lot better.

Rucks (2020 better)

Roughead would certainly have English covered for hitouts but thats about it. English kicks more goals takes more marks, is a better user by hand and foot and covers more ground.

Tom Boyd in 2016 had shown no more than Bruce has this year, not to mention his club imposed suspension. Where Bruce has Boyd covered is his intensity and contest. We never saw much of that from Boyd until the prelim.

Defense (2020 Better)

2016 vs 2020
Boyd = Duryea
Johannisen = Daniel
Biggs = Williams
Morris = Cordy
Wood = Wood
Roberts = Gardener
Hamling = Keath
+ Crozier

Boyd and Morris may be the two best players on that list but the 8 defenders we now play easily have the 2016 bunch covered as a collective. It’s more versatile, better in the air, better by foot, and bats way deeper. Apart from Morris it is also a lot more experienced. Also, don’t forget that Joel Hamling couldn’t get a game for much of 2016.

Forwards (All Square)

vs

Stringer had been in the Magoos for a couple weeks and Clay was only a few games back from his 3rd knee reco. Cordy had just debuted in a position he had never played before. Boyd was miles off being an AFL quality key forward. Picken would go on to kick almost as many goals in the finals as he had kicked throughout the entire season. Dicko was the reliable stalwart, similar to Wallis this year.

In 2020 it’s definitely our weakest line but it actually has more structure and versatility than in 2016. Naughton, Wallis, Vandemeer, Johannisen and Bruce have just as much potential to kick a score as would have been expected from the 2016 group based on their form going into finals.

Conclusion: We have as much potential (probably a lot more) than we did in 2016. Our chosen 22 on Saturday will have the equivalent side from 2016 well and truly covered. As I keep saying, personnel is not the issue for our club it’s performance. If we bring anywhere near the same sort of endeavor that we did in 2016 with our current list, we will do some serious damage.

not even close

Rucks (2020 better)

Defense (2020 Better)

2016 vs 2020
Boyd = Duryea
Johannisen = Daniel
Biggs = Williams
Morris = Cordy
Wood = Wood
Roberts = Gardener
Hamling = Keath
+ Crozier

Forwards (All Square)

vs

Sorry ScottyDog but I think you have your rose-coloured glasses on maybe. For example, the forward line comparison:

"Forwards (All Square)
vs
2020:Naughton, Wallis, Vandemeer, Johannisen, Richards and Bruce"

Stringer - was coming off a 50-goal AA season.
Picken - seasoned heart and soul player, champion would be a fair description
Clay - ferocious tackler capable of four goals in a half. Also kicked 4 on debut
Cordy - the weakest link. Part timer
Dickson - Champion forward and one of the most accurate shots of all time
T.Boyd - gf hero, but what about his ability to ruck in games like the prelim?

Sorry ScottyDog but I think you have your rose-coloured glasses on maybe. For example, the forward line comparison:

"Forwards (All Square)
vs
2020:Naughton, Wallis, Vandemeer, Johannisen, Richards and Bruce"

Stringer - was coming off a 50-goal AA season.
Picken - seasoned heart and soul player, champion would be a fair description
Clay - ferocious tackler capable of four goals in a half. Also kicked 4 on debut
Cordy - the weakest link. Part timer
Dickson - Champion forward and one of the most accurate shots of all time
T.Boyd - gf hero, but what about his ability to ruck in games like the prelim?

I am wearing rose colored glasses? 😆

I am asking people to consider the actual facts.

going into the 2016 prelim:

Stringer was literally playing in the twos.
Clay had been back for 3 games
following his third knee reco.
Picken had kicked 10 goals from 23 games.
Cordy had been playing forward for a month.
Boyd had kicked 9 goals in the home and away games.
Dickson was the only reliable forward in the 22.

Stringers 2015 stats or Clays 4 goal debut are irrelevant.

That’s like me saying that Bruce is guaranteed to dominate in finals because he averaged 40 goals a season in the last 5 years. His form tells us those stats are irrelevant right now but the potential remains.

The small forwards we possessed during 2016 is probably the greatest difference between both eras. Without Picken, Dickson and Smith we would have barely gone past week 2 of that year.

Compared to our current setup which probably would be Richards, R.Smith and Lipinski. These 3 are going to have to find a significant rise in intensity if we are to go anywhere near our 2016 effort.

I'd probably bring VDM in. Think his speed and intensity far exceeds several of them and will be required in finals.

2016 team has a far greater mental and pressure capacity than this side does. That alone will make up for some talent difference that you see on paper.
That is undoubtably true after seeing what they produced in the 2016 finals... Leading into the 2016 finals is another story.
What i'm saying is that we head into this finals series with more hope than we did in 2016 when we travelled to WA to play a rampant Eagles in the first final.

Watching the PF for the millionth time, yesterday, I couldn’t help comparing the 2016 and 2020 versions of some players. Hunter, Daniel, Bont, Macrae are miles better now. Libba is just as good as then, maybe a bit better. But the entire makeup and chemistry of this team are totally different from 2016, obviously.

I agree that if you were to ask dogs supporters at the start of 2016 or even in round 15 of that year if we were capable of winning some would have definitely said yes.

But you are leaving out a lot of important detail. Don’t forget what happened at the tail end of that year. Bob had already done an ACL, then Libba did his ankle, Macrea did a hammy, Wood did a hammy, Dahlhaus did a knee and Stringer was in the 2s.

Hamling had not been sighted for most of the year, nor had Clay and Tom Boyd was only beginning to be somewhat competitive. Key Finals contributors like McLean, Daniel, Cordy, and Dunkley were far from proven.

As an activity I would love for you to go through player for player and compare our elimination final team from 2016 vs the one that will line up on Saturday. You’ll find that we are actually a lot more experienced, proven and balanced all over the ground. The unfortunate thing, is we haven’t played like we are this year.

Rucks (2020 better)

Defense (2020 Better)

2016 vs 2020
Boyd = Duryea
Johannisen = Daniel
Biggs = Williams
Morris = Cordy
Wood = Wood
Roberts = Gardener
Hamling = Keath
+ Crozier

Forwards (All Square)

vs

There’s no doubt that our issues this season have been player performance based. I’ve been saying it since early season.
Our 22 hadn’t been playing to the level they could have for large parts of this season.
I’m ok with laying a lot of the blame on the strange season and teams having to relocate and not having a consistent training schedule etc. Others won’t cop that, bizarre but each to their own.

As far as the team comparisons from 2016 to now. I couldn’t disagree more with you’re comparison.

Our defence had elite form AA’s in Boyd and Wood. Career best form JJ who was 4 weeks away from winning a Norm Smith.
Biggs who was playing outstanding HB rebounding football for most of the year and our heart and soul lynchpin in Morris. Add to that Murphy who played on 2015 but was also a big part of that 16 team, even if only from the sideline.
I’m surprised there’s even one person who rates our current backline above our 2016 line. Non contest really.

Likewise our Fwd line. Stinger, Dicko, Picken and co s**t all over what our current Fwd line has delivered.
I think that will change over the next few years but at this stage, it’s 2016’s fwd line.

Rucks could go either way.

2020 Mids have it covered fairly easy.

Our current side is probably more naturally talented than what we had across 2015/16 but there’s a fair way between where each team is/was.
We had a large core of established, experienced players that had been at the club for a long time. Something we just don’t have currently.

Boyd, Murph, Picken, Morris, you can’t underestimate the importance of having players like this around a football club. No doubt we’ll see these types emerge over the coming years, but for now our side is stI’ll lacking in that area.

Taking that in to consideration, as poor as some of our performances have been this year, we’d have to be pretty happy with where we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rucks (2020 better)

Defense (2020 Better)

2016 vs 2020
Boyd = Duryea
Johannisen = Daniel
Biggs = Williams
Morris = Cordy
Wood = Wood
Roberts = Gardener
Hamling = Keath
+ Crozier

Forwards (All Square)

vs

Interesting take.

I personally think every line was better in 2016 pretty much

on ballers:
2016 Bont Libba Macrae Dunkley Dahlhaus
2020 Bont Libba Macrae Dunkley Smith

I'd still take Dahl over Smith at this stage in a final. The fact some mids in 2016 were coming back from injury is irrelevant because as we saw, it did not effect their output at all.

Wings:
2016 Hunter Jong
2020 Hunter Lipinski

About even, maybe slightly 2016

Backs:
3 absolute A-graders in Wood, Morris and Boyd is better than our current set up which only has Daniel as an elite performer.
I've more appropriately matched the roles between the two years below:
2016 2020
Boyd = Daniel
JJ > Williams
Morris > Wood
Wood > Crozier
Biggs < Duryea
Hamling > Cordy
Roberts < Keath

Again, doesn't matter that Hamling couldn't get a game for most of the year. The finals was when we transitioned to the high level defender he currently still is. Only 2 of the 7 in favour of our 2020 team IMO. If Gardner plays as an 8th defender (like the other week) it doesn't really help much in the comparison.

Forwards:
2016: Daniel Picken CSmith Dickson Boyd Stringer Cordy
2020: RSmith JJ Richards Wallis Naughton Bruce

I'd give Naughton over Boyd. Wallis about on par with Dickson and Cordy with Bruce but it's basically a wash everywhere else.

There’s no doubt that our issues this season have been player performance based. I’ve been saying it since early season.
Our 22 hadn’t been playing to the level they could have for large parts of this season.
I’m ok with laying a lot of the blame on the strange season and teams having to relocate and not having a consistent training schedule etc. Others won’t cop that, bizarre but each to their own.

As far as the team comparisons from 2016 to now. I couldn’t disagree more with you’re comparison.

Our defence had elite form AA’s in Boyd and Wood. Career best form JJ who was 4 weeks away from winning a Norm Smith.
Biggs who was playing outstanding HB rebounding football for most of the year and our heart and soul lynchpin in Morris. Add to that Murphy who played on 2015 but was also a big part of that 16 team, even if only from the sideline.
I’m surprised there’s even one person who rates our current backline above our 2016 line. Non contest really.

Likewise our Fwd line. Stinger, Dicko, Picken and co sh*t all over what our current Fwd line has delivered.
I think that will change over the next few years but at this stage, it’s 2016’s fwd line.

Rucks could go either way.

2020 Mids have it covered fairly easy.

Our current side is probably more naturally talented than what we had across 2015/16 but there’s a fair way between where each team is/was.
We had a large core of established, experienced players that had been at the club for a long time. Something we just don’t have currently.

Boyd, Murph, Picken, Morris, you can’t underestimate the importance of having players like this around a football club. No doubt we’ll see these types emerge over the coming years, but for now our side is stI’ll lacking in that area.

Taking that in to consideration, as poor as some of our performances have been this year, we’d have to be pretty happy with where we are.

I think this list will be better. But at the same point the 16 list was better. Agree with most of above.
Rucks though I'd take 16 easily. English is going to be a gun and has improved a lot but rewatching the GF during the week, the Boyd/Roughead combo was terrific. Much better than the solo English with random back ups.

on ballers:
2016 Bont Libba Macrae Dunkley Dahlhaus
2020 Bont Libba Macrae Dunkley Smith

I'd still take Dahl over Smith at this stage in a final.
Blasphemy. B.Smith has more talent and more heart in his little toe then dahlhaus ever did. Last year Smith got caught out due to age and lack of experience but I guarantee that won't be happening this time round, built for finals football.

Blasphemy. B.Smith has more talent and more heart in his little toe then dahlhaus ever did. Last year Smith got caught out due to age and lack of experience but I guarantee that won't be happening this time round, built for finals football.
More talented no doubt, but before Dahl left the club a lot of Doggies supporters would have said Luke D had one of the biggest hearts in footy.

More talented no doubt, but before Dahl left the club a lot of Doggies supporters would have said Luke D had one of the biggest hearts in footy.
He deffinetly did in his first season or two but once he got comfortable he lost the desperation pretty quickly. Watching him on the bench as the sub against st Kilda literally running up and down determined to get on the field was a testament to that heart. Sellected as a rookie he needed to prove something and he did. Once he was a regular in the best 22 he had nothing left to prove and it showed.

He deffinetly did in his first season or two but once he got comfortable he lost the desperation pretty quickly. Watching him on the bench as the sub against st Kilda literally running up and down determined to get on the field was a testament to that heart. Sellected as a rookie he needed to prove something and he did. Once he was a regular in the best 22 he had nothing left to prove and it showed.
But harsh I think Dahl bled red white and blue for years. 17' and 18'were poor but the others he was terrific.

Smith will be the better player once all said and done, but the 16' version of Dahl was him at his best.

But harsh I think Dahl bled red white and blue for years. 17' and 18'were poor but the others he was terrific.

Smith will be the better player once all said and done, but the 16' version of Dahl was him at his best.
I'm glad all our players peaked at the right time

I am wearing rose colored glasses? 😆

I am asking people to consider the actual facts.

going into the 2016 prelim:

Stringer was literally playing in the twos.
Clay had been back for 3 games
following his third knee reco.
Picken had kicked 10 goals from 23 games.
Cordy had been playing forward for a month.
Boyd had kicked 9 goals in the home and away games.
Dickson was the only reliable forward in the 22.

Stringers 2015 stats or Clays 4 goal debut are irrelevant.

That’s like me saying that Bruce is guaranteed to dominate in finals because he averaged 40 goals a season in the last 5 years. His form tells us those stats are irrelevant right now but the potential remains.

Fair to say that people on hear are regularly calling for Richards to be dropped, and on top of that many think he's better at half back. Kicked 3 in a game once maybe?

Vandermeer. Essentially a first year guy coming in after injury for a month.

JJ. Not really a full time forward is he?

That is a horrific take and just plain wrong. Dahl gave his entire heart and soul to the club, and tapered off after the flag. Some people have really clouded short memories.

Last edited:
Fair to say that people on hear are regularly calling for Richards to be dropped, and on top of that many think he's better at half back. Kicked 3 in a game once maybe?

Vandermeer. Essentially a first year guy coming in after injury for a month.

JJ. Not really a full time forward is he?
Never said any of these guys are proven guns. Just that they have as much potential as our piecemeal and out of form forward line did in the week leading into the 2016 elimination final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back