Preview Changes vs ST KILDA. Elimination final preview (GABBA- Sat 3rd October). Happy now??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone watch Bevo members presser? Had a wack at supporters who have been pot shotting players (Gardner comes to mind)

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Naughton and Wallis both pull up, I'd go in unchanged unless Vandermeer's ready to come back in. If Naughton is out, maybe Trengove to be main ruck so English can play forward.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Naughton and Wallis both pull up, I'd go in unchanged unless Vandermeer's ready to come back in. If Naughton is out, maybe Trengove to be main ruck so English can play forward.
Would love for vdm to return but think it may be to much of a risk

Vander for Richards would be a great result for us, fingers crossed he’s ready to go.

I don’t like the backline mix and in a way I think Naughty going off yesterday almost helped us to be completely honest. Saints will burn us if we go in that slow down back again.

Rourkes best game for the club, Im confident he’s good enough to be in the bottom handful of players in the 22 these days so it’s one less weak link in the chain.
Yep I didn't like the backline mix at all. Not only too tall, but having to play defenders out of position isn't ideal. We've already moved JJ up the ground which is okay, but having to push Crozier or others up as well isn't great.

If Naughton is out, I'd be swinging Cordy forward to play a role similar to his 2016 finals. If Naughton is fit, I'm not sure what will happen with the defensive triumvirate of Keath, Cordy Gardner. I think Gardner would have to go for mine.
Have Cordy and Bruce just crashing packs up there, I'd bring in Cavarra as he's our best crumber by a country mile.

If VDM is fit I'd bring him in for Richards also.

A lot of time between now and team selection though, so let's see how things pan out.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are we better off just playing Cavarra instead of Richards if Ed is just going to be played as a forward?

Wally should be ok which is a huge plus. When do we put a line through Richards though.

Richards: 11d per game, 1.9 tack per game, 0.4goals per game, 65% efficiency.
Cavarra: 8.3d per game, 2.7 tack per game, 1.3goals per game, 56% efficiency.

Apart from being quick what much else does he do.

Last edited:

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Wally and Astro are fit VDM if fit for Duryea. Richards on notice but we the speed if we the play the saints. Go Port tonight we do not want to playing WCE over there also it is likely to be Thursday game less time to recover.

Last edited:

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Saints are one of the teams where I’d be comfortable playing 3 tall defenders.

Keath - King
Gardner - Marshall/Ryder
Cordy - Membrey
Wood - Battle

They have some serious height and athleticism up forward.
Agree with the tall defenders, but I'd structure it differently.

King plays as spearhead from the square. He likes to run and jump athletically and meet the ball at its highest point. Gardner is tallest and best jumper, I'd play him deepest on King.

Marshall/Ryder are big bodied and will look for contested marks, Keath is strongest to take them on. As they are not natural forwards, there will be opportunities to run off and intercept

Cordy takes whichever of Battle or Membrey pushes deepest, with Williams and Wood covering the other.

I think the only 2 who would be considered as outs are Naughton and Richards.

Naughton obviously plays if cleared medically. If not, I think Schache fits best structurally

Richards continued lack of impact must come into reckoning. If VDM is ready, he looks the type who can impact a final, I'd bring him in. If not, there is no clear alternative to Richards who is likely to upgrade us so Ed gets another go

If we play St Kilda and win, we play the loser of Brisbane and Richmond at the GABBA.

If we play WCE and win, we play the loser of Brisbane and Geelong at the GABBA.

It's a shame it has worked out like that cause the weaker EF opponent leads to the tougher SF opponent, and the tougher EF opponent leads to the weaker SF opponent.

If we play St Kilda and win, we play the loser of Brisbane and Richmond at the GABBA.

If we play WCE and win, we play the loser of Brisbane and Geelong at the GABBA.

It's a shame it has worked out like that cause the weaker EF opponent leads to the tougher SF opponent, and the tougher EF opponent leads to the weaker SF opponent.

So we would play Brisbane then.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Has it been confirmed when finals will be played?

Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night matches perhaps?

It will be Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. Whoever plays in Perth has to hotel quarantine for at least 7 days before they can play so I assume the Perth EF will be the Saturday night, which would probably mean the other EF is Friday night.

So we would play Brisbane then.
Perhaps although with Geelong's dismal recent finals record and their not so spectacular recent form, I would fancy Brisbane to beat them at the GABBA.

Geelong of 2020 are reminding me of Geelong of 2019. Dominant for the first 12 weeks and then became only slightly better than average.

Apart from Geelong totally annihilating Essendon a few weeks ago, their recent form leaves a lot to be desired.

They were lucky to win yesterday and were clearly outplayed for the most part.

They overran us due to Wood and VDM getting injured before half time. I'm certain we

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Has it been confirmed when finals will be played?

Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night matches perhaps?
Pretty sure Sundays were dropped a few years ago. Two games on Saturday.

Edit: just saw the weds night possibility. I could see the AFL doing that.

Feb 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Falcons, Hawks, Braves
Herald Sun is reporting we might play the Saints in Adelaide.

Could be a strategic move by St Kilda given Naughton might not be able to fly, and two players with heavily pregnant partners.

JTCWBFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool, Knicks, Yankees
Herald Sun is reporting we might play the Saints in Adelaide.

Could be a strategic move by St Kilda given Naughton might not be able to fly, and two players with heavily pregnant partners.

are the saints allowed to choose the location?

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No rolling over this final physically like last season with Libba in we may lose but will not get bullied.

Bruce and Keath are a massive upgrade on Schache and Young in terms of physicality so we will get a considerable improvement in terms of physical players in comparison to the 2019 EF debacle.

We didnt have Wallis nor Libba either. Im far more comfortable with the maturity of the side this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back