Review Changes vs Swans - AVB, Pickett, Hannan, Hibberd OUT - ANB, Fritsch, Harmes, Smith IN

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Way more cut up over Harmes getting a game than I am Smith.
Smith takes the I run fast and don't plan ahead backman role from Hibbo, the rest are forwards. In a normal world this makes sense, Harmes comes back in the role he started in. nekminnit fullback.

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
I would have brought in Lockhart over Smith particularly as Sydney has some decent small forwards. Im assuming Harmes will play on Papley hence he will probably kick 4 goals.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I'm not the biggest Wagner fan but he was pretty solid on Saturday night certainly deserves to keep his spot what's the expectation on him Steven may level?
I honestly think he's been a bit of a scapegoat during his time at the club. While I don't think he's been anywhere near a gun, I feel when he's come into the team our backline has been a mess and lacking cohesion, or he's done a very serviceable job. No coincidence he's come in and done his job when our backline is a cohesive unit. He's a classic role player. He's a decent mark, decent kick. In fact I'd have him above half our list in regards to his kicking. His defensive skills are sound enough. Tbh, he's an upgrade on what Harmes has provided us this year. Solid depth IMO. His brother though can GTFO..

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I would have brought in Lockhart over Smith particularly as Sydney has some decent small forwards. Im assuming Harmes will play on Papley hence he will probably kick 4 goals.
Yeah moment of truth for Harmes here. I think he'll take the Hibberd role and play on Papley. Make or break for his season and ours possibly.

If Smith goes anywhere near the backline I'll spew up! I can't see him improving our F50 pressure either. So that's a strange inclusion IMO.

I'm not sure what Bedford has to do to get a game? Like for like with Koz really. Hunt looks done too. If he can't get a game with 3 of our forward half pressure players coming out, then he's papers are stamped.

Mijhaa

Team Captain
Sep 19, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Too many players with no footy brain in one team - ANB, OMac, Smith, Wagner

Will be a miracle if we win this

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I don't know why so many people think Bedford will do anything, no other club wanted him in the draft and he's played maybe 2 games for us? Seems like a big delist candidate to me

I don't know why so many people think Bedford will do anything, no other club wanted him in the draft and he's played maybe 2 games for us? Seems like a big delist candidate to me

He's only played one game as far as I'm aware in which he did nothing wrong.

I honestly think he's been a bit of a scapegoat during his time at the club. While I don't think he's been anywhere near a gun, I feel when he's come into the team our backline has been a mess and lacking cohesion, or he's done a very serviceable job. No coincidence he's come in and done his job when our backline is a cohesive unit. He's a classic role player. He's a decent mark, decent kick. In fact I'd have him above half our list in regards to his kicking. His defensive skills are sound enough. Tbh, he's an upgrade on what Harmes has provided us this year. Solid depth IMO. His brother though can GTFO..

He's a board meme due to that horrific debut in the nah cup ( I'm pretty sure it was back then) in Roosy first or second year with us. Easy person to blame when s**t hits the fan. He's good depth. I wouldnt be opposed to keeping him another year iif we consider ourselves top 4 contenders.

Yeah moment of truth for Harmes here. I think he'll take the Hibberd role and play on Papley. Make or break for his season and ours possibly.

If Smith goes anywhere near the backline I'll spew up! I can't see him improving our F50 pressure either. So that's a strange inclusion IMO.

I'm not sure what Bedford has to do to get a game? Like for like with Koz really. Hunt looks done too. If he can't get a game with 3 of our forward half pressure players coming out, then he's papers are stamped.

There is no way we should play Harmes on Papley, he's too dumb of backman to have him on the oppositions biggest weapon.

Gets sucked into the contest way too often. No discipline.

Give me Wagner on Papley over Harmes any day.

Last edited:
Not alot right either, 1 game in 2 years for essentially a rookie listed player doesn't scream he's a difference maker in the forward half

Yet his debut was better than a lot of players weve tried since round 1, so go figure.

Was it? He was dropped.
8 touches an 2 tackles
Without VFL it's hard to judge players but wouldn't surprise at all if he was delisted

Don't think stats tell much of the story, thought his pressure was as good as anyone that day. I'm not saying he's a world beater by any means but when we are playing guys like Jones surely we could squeeze him in for a game and see if he's capable of anything?

He probably is delisted. I'm not arguing that.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Don't think stats tell much of the story, thought his pressure was as good as anyone that day. I'm not saying he's a world beater by any means but when we are playing guys like Jones surely we could squeeze him in for a game and see if he's capable of anything?

He probably is delisted. I'm not arguing that.
Or he's just average at training and an average player. No other club was interested in him

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I just figured it was a good like for like with Koz out. Not expecting much from Bedford except a bit of pace and pressure and hopefully scoreboard action. Tbf Koz hasn't been doing much either. In fact none of our small forwards have done anything last couple of weeks. Hunt would get in the way and spud it up, C. Wagner is a big no, so who else we got? Scraping the bottom of the barrel or using the same useless pricks we've used last couple of weeks. Might as well give the kid a game and see if he can do anything. It's a part of the ground that we clearly lack quality in. Makes it even more frustrating and unbelievable that we didn't chase Dan Butler when he left for a packet of chips.

Or he's just average at training and an average player. No other club was interested in him

I don't know what you're arguing? I said he probably is delisted. But you might as well find out what you have on game day.

He's one of the fittest blokes at our club, the fittest I think from memory.

Last edited:

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was it? He was dropped.
8 touches an 2 tackles
Without VFL it's hard to judge players but wouldn't surprise at all if he was delisted
E5th most tackles, 3rd most pressure acts for us. against a team that intercepts and kick, marks it out of defence he couldn't do much more. looking at that round 1 team its basically the same as the team we picked this week minus a couple. I liked what I seen of Bedford

Back