Preview Changes vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nice, blooding the youth probably should have started about 6 weeks ago, but better late than never.

Quite the occasion to be making your debut as well.
Chandler only really started playing well about 6 weeks ago, the rest of our youth has either been injured (neitschke, sparrow, bradke, walker, spargo) or hasn't been ready (Jordan, Bedford)

Or they've played (baker, petty, Dunkley, Lockhart)

Or they are 28. Seems we have an age profile a touch older, but an experience problem.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Chandler only really started playing well about 6 weeks ago, the rest of our youth has either been injured (neitschke, sparrow, bradke, walker, spargo) or hasn't been ready (Jordan, Bedford)

Or they've played (baker, petty, Dunkley, Lockhart)

Or they are 28. Seems we have an age profile a touch older, but an experience problem.
Yeah fair call really ... tho you could argue we didn't/don't really have much to lose in playing Jordan or Bedford without them smashing the door down for selection, particularly given the amount of underdone players we've rushed into the side on the back of limited minutes, at least they'd actually have some match fitness ... plus we couldn't really play much worse.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Chandler is debuting. Good news! Why not, nothing left to lose these last two weeks.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah fair call really ... tho you could argue we didn't/don't really have much to lose in playing Jordan or Bedford without them smashing the door down for selection, particularly given the amount of underdone players we've rushed into the side on the back of limited minutes, at least they'd actually have some match fitness ... plus we couldn't really play much worse.
Can't just give everyone a crack though because then no one needs to play/train well.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah, agree. I think the rushing of injured players back was a desperation move that was conjoined by our coaches thinking finals were still possible post bye. They may not have been far off the mark had the Adelaide or west coast games gone our way early, and I'm sure mindest of the playing group would have been different too. But there has been no excuse the past 4 or so weeks. But what do you do- play the best team hoping to improve connection and chemistry etc for 2020, risking injury and still losing, or play the depth/youth and see who can stand up, while have perennial tank talk rise, and lose?

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't just give everyone a crack though because then no one needs to play/train well.
I’m with you, that said a few times this year when Tom McDonald was running around looking like his feet had been replaced with cinder blocks and Brayshaw could barely bend over - literally anybody else on the roster could’ve offered more.

Last edited:
Yeah, agree. I think the rushing of injured players back was a desperation move that was conjoined by our coaches thinking finals were still possible post bye. They may not have been far off the mark had the Adelaide or west coast games gone our way early, and I'm sure mindest of the playing group would have been different too. But there has been no excuse the past 4 or so weeks. But what do you do- play the best team hoping to improve connection and chemistry etc for 2020, risking injury and still losing, or play the depth/youth and see who can stand up, while have perennial tank talk rise, and lose?
The season has been so even that honestly we haven’t been THAT far way from being in finals contention. Which sounds stupid but we’d only need to have been slightly better to still be in with a shot IMO

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
In normal, contending for finals circumstances (which obviously aren't normal circumstances for our club, but you know what I mean) I'd agree with you, but when your season is dead in the water like ours has been for some time, you can probably stretch the argument of earning a game a bit further than usual to justify the selection.

Of course, I made the statement before I realised that we literally have 3 players on our list who haven't played an AFL game this year, that haven't been injured all season ... Bedford, Jordon and Bradtke. We've used 39 players from effectively 42 available (47 actual)

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
What's the go with Jordon anyway? He was an early-ish pick by our recent standards and is pretty good size but we never hear anything about him?

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
What's the go with Jordon anyway? He was an early-ish pick by our recent standards and is pretty good size but we never hear anything about him?
Its cause everyone is talking about Jordan. But yeah Jordon had a few good games in the VFL didnt he

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Yes we can. Would be hilarious too. Oscar as a forward has already been nicely diverting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back