fred cook

Premiership Player
Jan 14, 2005
brunswick
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
nnn
  • Out : the two below assistant coaches who should be coaching Wahgunya football club not an AFL club, and bring in one senor assistant coach from an external club and Matthew Boyd

Marc Webb
    Assistant Coach

Matt Spangler

a total of 56 AFL games played by both our assistant coaches FK me

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
  • Out : the two below assistant coaches who should be coaching Wahgunya football club not an AFL club, and bring in one senor assistant coach from an external club and Matthew Boyd

Marc Webb
    Assistant Coach

Matt Spangler

Do either of them demand respect I wonder? Doubt it.

Marc Webb
    Assistant Coach

Matt Spangler

Wahgunyah has declined your generous offer with thanks.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We need better structure with more height and forwards playing forward:

FF: Weightman English Ugle-Hagen
HF: Schache Naughton Bedendo

We need to score heavily against the bye.

There's nothing wrong with a mid-season entire football department review. Analyse what's been good or bad, identify weaknesses and recruiting priorities and approach the last 10 games with some fresh ideas. So, no bye for the coaching and football department staff!!!

acker

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2005
Riverina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
There's nothing wrong with a mid-season entire football department review. Analyse what's been good or bad, identify weaknesses and recruiting priorities and approach the last 10 games with some fresh ideas. So, no bye for the coaching and football department staff!!!
Hey Bevo - for the rest of 2022 Dogs do a rare thing you haven't done in selection regularly since 2016 (Roughead/Boyd)

Two 200cm plus Rucks English/Sweet play in the same side and the likes of 190cm Khamis and Dunkley go back to their day jobs

Also what is wrong with a tall dour defender - remember Hambling and Roberts?

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Doc Keath O’Brien
Dale Gardner Ed
Williams Libba Bedendo
English Bont Macrae
Schache JUH Baz
Cody Naughty West

Dunks, Treloar, Daniel, Sweet

That’s a winning team in my eyes, what’s the issue here? Marking power inside 50, multiple talls who can hit the scoreboard so command attention and all 3 capable on a lead, have natural forward smarts and can work together to spread the defence. Talls capable of pushing high to provide options up the field, great pressure inside 50 with Cody, West, Naughty (all elite, 3 elite pressure forwards is enough) and the mids like Dunks, Libba who will be in there most of the time the balls in the forward half.

Strong ruck duo which compliments each other, midfield will dominate. Nice wings with good skills, pace, height & marking ability - both comfortable dropping back to help out in defence or pushing forward with great goal sense.

Daniel high half forward, but can also be used as the defensive rotation if Dale or Ed is off the ground etc - bit of a roaming utility role for him but much less defensive 50 work much more delivering inside 50 to our great leading options.

Would be tempted to even drop Gards or O’Brien depending on match ups as with Sweet in Tim can spend a lot of time dropping back into defence to help out, which he can’t do as a lone ruck. JJ will be in soon to provide more pace in the forward line too.

A hugeeee reduction in ball butcherers, no real holes or weaknesses (maybe 2nd defender, but they’ll be under less pressure considering the huge advantage to our midfielders)

What’s the issue here? What’s wrong with that side? It’d beat most teams. Unfortunately it’s an absolute *ing pipe dream at this stage

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Doc Keath O’Brien
Dale Gardner Ed
Williams Libba Bedendo
English Bont Macrae
Schache JUH Baz
Cody Naughty West

That’s a winning team in my eyes, what’s the issue here? Marking power inside 50, multiple talls who can hit the scoreboard so command attention and all 3 capable on a lead, have natural forward smarts and can work together to spread the defence. Talls capable of pushing high to provide options up the field, great pressure inside 50 with Cody, West, Naughty (all elite, 3 elite pressure forwards is enough) and the mids like Dunks, Libba who will be in there most of the time the balls in the forward half.

Strong ruck duo which compliments each other, midfield will dominate. Nice wings with good skills, pace, height & marking ability - both comfortable dropping back to help out in defence or pushing forward with great goal sense.

Daniel high half forward, but can also be used as the defensive rotation if Dale or Ed is off the ground etc - bit of a roaming utility role for him but much less defensive 50 work much more delivering inside 50 to our great leading options.

Would be tempted to even drop Gards or O’Brien depending on match ups as with Sweet in Tim can spend a lot of time dropping back into defence to help out, which he can’t do as a lone ruck. JJ will be in soon to provide more pace in the forward line too.

A hugeeee reduction in ball butcherers, no real holes or weaknesses (maybe 2nd defender, but they’ll be under less pressure considering the huge advantage to our midfielders)

What’s the issue here? What’s wrong with that side? It’d beat most teams. Unfortunately it’s an absolute f*n pipe dream at this stage

Only a minor quibble but Bont CHF, Baz to bench, Dunkley to Centre.
CHF rarely gets kicked to in our forward half. We more target the flanks, which is Schache and JUH, who can provide that outlet. Bont demands an opponent and becomes the highest forward.

Bedendo is a year off having the tank for a wing, so Scott/Hunter (if he ever comes back) on the other side. I am looking forward to Bedendo playing there and think it would work well.

It’s nice to put tall forwards on the field, it’s a shame we see so few in our team.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Only a minor quibble but Bont CHF, Baz to bench, Dunkley to Centre.
CHF rarely gets kicked to in our forward half. We more target the flanks, which is Schache and JUH, who can provide that outlet. Bont demands an opponent and becomes the highest forward.

Bedendo is a year off having the tank for a wing, so Scott/Hunter (if he ever comes back) on the other side. I am looking forward to Bedendo playing there and think it would work well.

It’s nice to put tall forwards on the field, it’s a shame we see so few in our team.
Yeah I don’t believe Bedendos ready either but keen to see what he’s got at least, Hunter back when he’s ready. The way I see the 3 talls working is Schache doing most of his work as a high flanker, just run all day. Up and down the ground to provide an outlet lead up option and work back hard into the forward line to blow his opponent up and find that space coming back in - we know he’ll kick em from everywhere just needs a couple of chances.

Jamarra the next deepest who will always need to be providing those repeat leads, and drag his defender away from the hotspot where you’ve got Naughty the deepest target. Occasionally we’ll push Naughty up high as we like to do and Jamarra can fold in behind as the deeper target.

Bont too another option rolling through. Sweet can sit in the forward pocket at times and provide a contest and when Timmy rests forward I’d usually use him higher too, like a roaming CHF.

Plenty of options!

CDBulldog

All Australian
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Doc Keath O’Brien
Dale Gardner Ed
Williams Libba Bedendo
English Bont Macrae
Schache JUH Baz
Cody Naughty West

What’s the issue here? What’s wrong with that side? It’d beat most teams. Unfortunately it’s an absolute f*n pipe dream at this stage
That is the team I would select. Good combination of height, speed, class but some grit as well. JUH can also apply some decent forward pressure so have no concerns with forward line pressure from the talls. Despite some thinking we need elite pressure smalls in the forwaed 50, it’s in fact not having sufficient talls to either mark it or bring the ball to ground that is impacting our ability to lock the ball in the forward line. Our mids push into the forward 50 to lock the ball in but it doesn’t work if you get intercept mark after intercept mark taken against you…

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That is the team I would select. Good combination of height, speed, class but some grit as well. JUH can also apply some decent forward pressure so have no concerns with forward line pressure from the talls. Despite some thinking we need elite pressure smalls in the forwaed 50, it’s in fact not having sufficient talls to either mark it or bring the ball to ground that is impacting our ability to lock the ball in the forward line. Our mids push into the forward 50 to lock the ball in but it doesn’t work if you get intercept mark after intercept mark taken against you…
Yeah 100%, Cody, West & JJ would be more than enough. Naughty is genuinely as good as a small too - he was 4th in the league for tackles inside 50 up until this week so he doesn’t even count as a tall, and like you said Jamarra can provide a bit too but he’s a bit more inconsistent. People forget the mids are always there to lock the ball in too so the amount of genuine pressure forwards you need is overstated.

That team looks huge cos we’re so conditioned into playing small but most teams carry that many talls in their forward half every week. We’d be a much better team if we tried it imo

Hobdog

Premiership Player
May 20, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Club has a Target feel about it. Sitting between David Jones/Myer, and K-Mart. Apparently our connections with the forwards were off against Geelong. Spoken as though it was an anomaly that only applied to that game and not the six other seasons preceding this one.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This weekend I will not:
  • Get frustrated at frequently baffling team selection
  • Gnash my teeth when I see Caleb or Dale somehow one out against the opposition’s main KPF as the ball travels unerringly to the latter.
  • Tear my hair out as our mids manage to send it yet again into the hands of an opposing defender while our forwards all lead to the same bloody spot
  • Weep quietly as a simple 20-30m set shot is shanked for yet another behind.

All that avoided plus it’s a holiday weekend. Good times.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Did anyone catch the score against the bye? I searched every media outlet and NOTHING...back to being anonymous and irrelevant again it seems.
Failed to nail a single set shot. Typical. Also NONE of English, Sweet or Martin played. Bevo has jumped the shark. Tried to deflect from the bye result by talking about illicit drugs!

Back