Play Nice Changes Vs The Crows - Trolls banned

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
What a win against Sth Melbourne.

And while people like to push that as our biggest game of the year we all know it’s against the Mutts.

On a Friday night in the Capital with some big wins behind us surely we are ready to rock and roll.

I’m thinking we are going to have some changes with Mumford surely due a break & possibly Whitfield and Hogan ready to return.
Now does this mean Briggs and Flynn as a double against the Dogs or just Flynn and Hogan makes his debut.

Is Whitfield ready?

Bunts seems to be hanging in there as part of the 22.

In: Flynn, Briggs, Whitfield, Hogan

Out: Mumford, Reid, Keefe/Buckley, Riccardi

Big_minnow

Debutant
Apr 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought I'd post before this thread gets derailed by troll posts.

I love this fixture, I think it's awesome that the dogs and GWS players have a genuine dislike of each other, provides a bit of theatre for both sets of supporters.

Also there's now some media attention given to the rivalry which has been bubbling away since 2014. Think it's a great thing for both our clubs and helps get more neutral eyes and media interest to two clubs that generally could use it.

Happy that your team has hit some form and hoping for a typically spiteful game between the two clubs. Shame libba and heath Shaw can't go another round 😞

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr

I love this fixture, I think it's awesome that the dogs and GWS players have a genuine dislike of each other, provides a bit of theatre for both sets of supporters.

Also there's now some media attention given to the rivalry which has been bubbling away since 2014. Think it's a great thing for both our clubs and helps get more neutral eyes and media interest to two clubs that generally could use it.

Happy that your team has hit some form and hoping for a typically spiteful game between the two clubs. Shame libba and heath Shaw can't go another round 😞
You guys have drafted very well for the last 9 years or so to build this list. Have you had the same list manager over this time?
Another question,do you think Ugle-Hagan will play this year ( other than if needed due to injuries/ resting players).

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
We've boxed ourselves into a corner by playing Mummy this week. He should have been rested against Hickey, allowing Flynn to take that match-up, then with Bulldogs mounting a 1-2 ruck in Martin & English, we could have considered bringing him back for a Mummy-Flynn combo. Now, I can't see that Mummy can go one out against Martin & English - it would be a disaster. (Which means that's how Leon will roll, probably!) Had we tried a Flynn-Briggs option in weeks 1 & 2, we'd know whether that would be an option.

Now, bringing back Flynn to face a fresh Martin and using Finlayson against English is probably not going to be the most effective option.

Hopefully Perryman back for Reid, I'll assume Whitfield won't be ready, and the medical sub to be someone other than Buntine. I'm not sure Hogan is quite ready to go, perhaps another week required. While I like that we're putting games into Riccardi, Hogan's experience would be valuable to add to the team, and at some point we need to see what he would bring. Like Riccardi, he'd add some steel and structure to the forward line, just with a little more maturity and hopefully cunning.

So, perhaps just Mummy & Reid out; Flynn & Perryman in.

Big_minnow

Debutant
Apr 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You guys have drafted very well for the last 9 years or so to build this list. Have you had the same list manager over this time?
Another question,do you think Ugle-Hagan will play this year ( other than if needed due to injuries/ resting players).

Up until around 17/18 we had McCartney as list manager who left for the Giants, he did a good job keeping the core young group together, while Simon Dalrymple (recruiting manager since left for Sydney) was highly rated amongst dogs fans for his success with draft selections. I believe they combined those two roles into one which is now held by Sam Power who has been great with acquiring cheap trades to fill out our list (Keath, Bruce, Treloar, Martin, Hannan) whilst retaining everyone we want to keep. So a team effort I think but McCartney and Dalrymple are the two mainly responsible for the foundation.

On JUH, I don't think he'll play this year, maybe a game or two, all indications from the club are that his endurance is no where near the required level for AFL, I'm sure a year off footy didn't help. Be a shame not to see him but it's a tough side to crack into at the moment for a tall forward.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Mutts have built well and have an amazing mid field. Im guessing Martin and English are all good to go.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
We've boxed ourselves into a corner by playing Mummy this week. He should have been rested against Hickey, allowing Flynn to take that match-up, then with Bulldogs mounting a 1-2 ruck in Martin & English, we could have considered bringing him back for a Mummy-Flynn combo. Now, I can't see that Mummy can go one out against Martin & English - it would be a disaster. (Which means that's how Leon will roll, probably!) Had we tried a Flynn-Briggs option in weeks 1 & 2, we'd know whether that would be an option.

Now, bringing back Flynn to face a fresh Martin and using Finlayson against English is probably not going to be the most effective option.

Hopefully Perryman back for Reid, I'll assume Whitfield won't be ready, and the medical sub to be someone other than Buntine. I'm not sure Hogan is quite ready to go, perhaps another week required. While I like that we're putting games into Riccardi, Hogan's experience would be valuable to add to the team, and at some point we need to see what he would bring. Like Riccardi, he'd add some steel and structure to the forward line, just with a little more maturity and hopefully cunning.

So, perhaps just Mummy & Reid out; Flynn & Perryman in.

Ditto for me re GS’s two in, two out.

I too would love to be able to play Hogan in R6, but I really think he needs more match fitness and he could get burnt by the Dogs.

My only difference to GS is I’m now sold on the concept of a utility veteran as sub during VFL season.

I held my breath last night when Bunts came on. Credit where it’s due though he was solid under fire, in contrast to prior weeks, and holds his place for me.

I’d see Sam Reid as being our natural 2021 sub on his return, and possibly MdB in 2022.

Just quietly, Bruhn very impressive in the VFL game this weekend and unlucky not be in our AFL 22. We’ll see him again in the 1’s very soon.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
IMG_2021.png

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Happy that your team has hit some form and hoping for a typically spiteful game between the two clubs.

Let's hope the game generates a lot of heat, because it's supposed to almost freezing in Canberra on Friday night - only 1 degree. 🥶

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I hope we do a good review of the game last night. Midfield did a great job. Whole side just hung in there. I wouldn’t be surprised if we went with the same forward line, just swapped out Mummy for Flynn, and Perryman came in for Reid.

Naturally if we are not right onto our tackling pressure all game, this will be a blowout. We just don’t have the midfield depth they have.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
So who replaces Mummy?

Here are a couple of notes from the VFL

30 Matt Flynn

9 disposals, 25 hit-outs

“Flynny had some really good patches where he was able to have an influence in terms of his follow up and his ability to support defensively.”

32 Kieren Briggs

9 disposals, 22 hit-outs

“In the third term his ruck work helped us get back on top. He also showed glimpses forward in terms of his competitiveness.”

Swans Take Down GIANTS in VFL Opener (gwsgiants.com.au)

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Ditto for me re GS’s two in, two out.

I too would love to be able to play Hogan in R6, but I really think he needs more match fitness and he could get burnt by the Dogs.

My only difference to GS is I’m now sold on the concept of a utility veteran as sub during VFL season.

I held my breath last night when Bunts came on. Credit where it’s due though he was solid under fire, in contrast to prior weeks, and holds his place for me.

I’d see Sam Reid as being our natural 2021 sub on his return, and possibly MdB in 2022.

Just quietly, Bruhn very impressive in the VFL game this weekend and unlucky not be in our AFL 22. We’ll see him again in the 1’s very soon.
three goals and 8 marks with top up players kicking the majority of the forward entries is brilliant. He is ready to go... play Hogan

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Flynn for Mumford would be a must and not sure who comes in for Reid, Perryman is a must just hoping he is fully recovered from his illness as it can effect people differently and the only other option defensively would be Shipley but he hasnt really had enough games to step up imo

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
three goals and 8 marks with top up players kicking the majority of the forward entries is brilliant. He is ready to go... play Hogan
I agree with your sentiment, but I'm just not sure that a VFL practice match against Swans and a single VFL game are enough for Hogan to present in best form. His tank and his hands wouldn't need to be quite right to have that impact in the 2s. But I won't complain if he does come it (at least, not until the game and if he plays poorly I'll say ''I told you so'' ;) .)

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
In the VFL, we’ve got the Dogs on Thursday night at BISP.

That’s a 5 day turnaround, and tougher oppo than the Swans VFL team.

I think this would be a good test for Briggs to ruck solo, and Hogan to take a final preparation step, against better opposition.

Mummy surely needs a complete break.

Hogan could then slot in away to the Crows in R7, and Briggs could be given a solo R8 debut at home vs Bombers.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Hogan could then slot in away to the Crows in R7, and Briggs could be given a solo R8 debut at home vs Bombers.

The only point I'd contend against is the Briggs debut - we should be looking to play Flynn and consolidate him as much as possible IMHO. If he's not stacking up, or gets injured, then I'm all for debuting Briggs before selecting Mummy (except for specific match-ups). Or trying a Flynn-Briggs combo - although that probably only grows legs if we have KPF injuries.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
It might depend on training this week.if Hogan recovers well, is a bit fitter for the hit out, they might bring him in. Would they have their distance covered in km's from a vfl match ( would also effect their decision on Hogan).

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
I wouldn’t be rushing Hogan at all. Let him build his confidence in his body in the twos. Riccardi is doing a really good job as it is anyway.

Hogan has a good record against the Bulldogs.

They're second on his list of total scoring shots against all other teams, and third when it comes to goals against. In fact, he's goaled against them every time he's played them, whether it was for Melbourne or Fremantle.

Perhaps importantly, they're his favorite opponent for collecting marks inside 50 and uncontested possessions, and second for contested marks and possessions. Either he seems to like playing them, or they don't like playing him.

If he's fully fit, I wouldn't be surprised if we find a spot for him.

Last edited:
Back