Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
out. Haynes Riccardi
in. Briggs Hogan

HH to play wing/HB

they've already said Whitfield will come back through the VFL

Yes, there was some kind of setback with Whitfield.

He was meant to play half of the VFL vs Dogs, then post game McCartney indicated it was pushed back a week.

Lachie a lock for R8 at home vs Bombers.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I’m similar to GIant Pete, but want to try Flynn-Briggs.

So I’m Briggs in, Stone out.

In the absence of Whitfield I’m thinking push Perryman back, Finlayson to a wing.

One thing that strikes me about the Crows today is they’re playing lots of talls up front.

Makes me wonder whether TOJ may need to be able to reacquaint himself with a defensive role if Hogan-HH-Higgs proves successful and Phil remains unavailable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Having digested the loss, I'm probably of a view that we shouldn't be looking to make too many changes. The Bulldogs - unfortunately from our view - are a good team this year, and it's no disgrace with our reduced strength to have lost to them. We did hold them for three quarters of the game, until overrun in the last. While our bottom six players' performance collectively contributed to the loss, and we shouldn't ignore the deficiencies that contributed to the loss, but we need to look to solve those not by dropping young players but by developing them from that experience. Obviously, no-one's place in the team should be set in stone, and happy to make changes that benefit the team/system.

To that end, the known change for the Crows will be Haynes out. We'll see on O'Halloran - he may be another.

The potential changes would be IMHO those who had quiet games - O'Halloran, Stone, Riccardi, Hill & Bruhn who played a fair amount of game time as the medical sub. However, as per my opening paragraph, I wouldn't be looking at wholesale changes, and any changes should be driven by who in the seconds deserves a first grade spot.

From the EAFL, obviously Hogan appears the most ready to come in, and from Leon's comments he would appear to agree that he's ''cherry ripe'' to start in first grade. Otherwise Keiran Briggs has performed well, and could be an option. Sproule and Shipley are the other players who performed well. The nearest in game style of Haynes would be Cam Fleeton - unfortunately he suffered concussion in the VFL game so would not be an option to debut. Jacob Wehr might be the only other seconds player with the capability to step into first grade a this point.

I don't see Lachie Whitfield ready to come in yet - he'll need a run in VFL first to prime him for a return to first grade. (Similarly, Perryman will be better for the run this week after a few weeks down with glandular fever.)

So, I think it is a lay down misere that Jesse Hogan comes into the team. The talls this week were really ineffective. HH works better as a lead up forward - the link into the forward line rather than a full-bodied full forward, which is where Jesse can be more dominant. I suspect, too, that Riccardi would prosper better under such a set-up - after all, he's still just a handful of games into his career. As others have said, I'd be intrigued to have Briggs in the same team as Flynn and have them share ruck duties and time up forward - they both appear to have strong marking prowess and could be difficult as the third tall. But I don't think that a Hogan-Riccardi-Briggs set up would work, and I would think Leon would be averse to bringing in both Hogan and Briggs in the same week. Besides, I don't think Adelaide is a game where two rucks are truly needed (whereas Bulldogs were a team where I think 2 rucks would have helped!).

So I'd be largely satisfied with Hogan coming in for Haynes, keeping Riccardi to see how he goes with Hogan taking some heat off, and HH/Finlayson taking stints on the wing (where Haynes was named) and in the backline. No-one replaces Haynes as a pure interceptor - but Cumming, Taylor, Buckley & Keeffe collectively have done a pretty reasonable job. If Leon chose to also swap Riccardi for Briggs, I'd be happy with experimenting with that set-up too.

Otherwise, if O'Halloran is out too, Bruhn would be an option to move into the team from the sub role; otherwise, Jacob Wehr perhaps could get a guernsey in a wing/HBF/utility role. In the past we've gone to Sproule for something like that, but IMHO that would make the team too tall.

Having digested the loss, I'm probably of a view that we shouldn't be looking to make too many changes. The Bulldogs - unfortunately from our view - are a good team this year, and it's no disgrace with our reduced strength to have lost to them. We did hold them for three quarters of the game, until overrun in the last. While our bottom six players' performance collectively contributed to the loss, and we shouldn't ignore the deficiencies that contributed to the loss, but we need to look to solve those not by dropping young players but by developing them from that experience. Obviously, no-one's place in the team should be set in stone, and happy to make changes that benefit the team/system.

To that end, the known change for the Crows will be Haynes out. We'll see on O'Halloran - he may be another.

The potential changes would be IMHO those who had quiet games - O'Halloran, Stone, Riccardi, Hill & Bruhn who played a fair amount of game time as the medical sub. However, as per my opening paragraph, I wouldn't be looking at wholesale changes, and any changes should be driven by who in the seconds deserves a first grade spot.

From the EAFL, obviously Hogan appears the most ready to come in, and from Leon's comments he would appear to agree that he's ''cherry ripe'' to start in first grade. Otherwise Keiran Briggs has performed well, and could be an option. Sproule and Shipley are the other players who performed well. The nearest in game style of Haynes would be Cam Fleeton - unfortunately he suffered concussion in the VFL game so would not be an option to debut. Jacob Wehr might be the only other seconds player with the capability to step into first grade a this point.

I don't see Lachie Whitfield ready to come in yet - he'll need a run in VFL first to prime him for a return to first grade. (SImilarly, Perryman will be better for the run this week after a few weeks down with glandular fever.)

So, I think it is a lay down misere that Jesse Hogan comes into the team. The talls this week were really ineffective. HH works better as a lead up forward - the link into the forward line rather than a full-bodied full forward, which is where Jesse can be more dominant. I suspect, too, that Riccardi would prosper better under such a set-up - after all, he's still just a handful of games into his career. As others have said, I'd be intrigued to have Briggs in the same team as Flynn and have them share ruck duties and time up forward - they both appear to have strong marking prowess and could be difficult as the third tall. But I don't think that a Hogan-Riccardi-Briggs set up would work, and I would think Leon would be averse to bringing in both Hogan and Briggs in the same week. Besides, I don't think Adelaide is a game where two rucks are truly needed (whereas Bulldogs were a team where I think 2 rucks would have helped!).

So I'd be largely satisfied with Hogan coming in for Haynes, keeping Riccardi to see how he goes with Hogan taking some heat off, and HH/Finlayson taking stints on the wing (where Haynes was named) and in the backline. No-one replaces Haynes as a pure interceptor - but Cumming, Taylor, Buckley & Keeffe collectively have done a pretty reasonable job. If Leon chose to also swap Riccardi for Briggs, I'd be happy with experimenting with that set-up too.

Otherwise, if O'Halloran is out too, Bruhn would be an option to move into the team from the sub role; otherwise, Jacob Wehr perhaps could get a guernsey in a wing/HBF/utility role. In the past we've gone to Sproule for something like that, but IMHO that would make the team too tall.
I agree with this with the exception of Whitfield.
An under done Whitfield is still a better option than the next alternative currently (with all the injuries)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Maybe Whitfield to be the medical sub, depending on when vfl game is.
I'd prefer him to play VFL than be medical sub (or just be named in firsts). He could get no time, in which case he's no more match fit than before the game; or he could be on in the first 5 minutes, in which case he might not run out the game in good condition.

I reckon give him a run in the 2s from the first bounce, and depending on how it goes, pull him off at half or three-quarter time. Then he should be OK for the 1s the following week.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
The only reason we wouldn’t play Whitfield in the ones would be to make him have a run for “match fitness”

but... seeing as he has a reputation of one of the best runners in the comp... I’m inclined to play him and just reduce his minutes.

The guy is a star and god knows we need some more of them in the lineup

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
In Phil’s podcast today he’s adamant Whitfield is straight in for this weekend.

By contrast, he baulks at Hogan before saying ‘yes’, then says we can’t play 4 KPFs - and that HH is a lock.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The only reason we wouldn’t play Whitfield in the ones would be to make him have a run for “match fitness”

but... seeing as he has a reputation of one of the best runners in the comp... I’m inclined to play him and just reduce his minutes.

The guy is a star and god knows we need some more of them in the lineup
I would presume that if the option is someone you are not confident in WRT their skills or temperament to ''cut it'' in the firsts yet, then you'd certainly put Whitfield in and accept a lower output from him. You would want no medical risk (which you'd think doesn't exist now) & accept the risk that his skills aren't quite there and a medical sub might put further pressure on him.

It's probably more the fans who are unforgiving if he doesn't star from his first game!

Back