Preview changes vs. the dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Amiss is not an absolute gun. He’s a young, potentially good KPF who averaged less than two goals a game last year. Didn’t kick a goal against us last year and had three touches.

Treacy is a dime a dozen place holder KPF.

Brisbane allowing those two to combine for seven goals cost them the match.
Which he did as a 19 year old and he looks to have improved this year. His movement and timing on the lead might already be the best in the league tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If both fit to play, the two co-captains will come in. I’d also bring in Greenwood if he’s fit, with Hugh to be the backup ruck. That allows us to bring in a KPF with better forward craft than CCJ, so that’s probably Sellers with Comben developing as a back. And with Jy, LMac and Hugh coming in, there’s less of a need for the experience of Shiels and Tucker, so I’d look to bring in Phillips. Overall, bring in:

LMac for Goater
Simpkin for Lazzaro
Sellers for CCJ
Phillips for Shiels
Greenwood for Tucker

Nothing wholesale:
Out: Goater
In: Simpkin
I think so too - the coaching staff aren't going to give up on what they thought was their best 23 after an away game to a likely top 4 side

But that's not to say some of the group don't need to show something or changes will follow - phillips for Lazzaro, Greenwood/Sellars for CCJ, Comben for Pink/Corr.

Those under pressure will know it, so it's step up or out. Unlike the Noble years, at least there's something to choose from

I’d like to see Comben, LMac and Jy coming into the team - if they’re ready. I just think it would help shore up our glaring deficiencies. Hopefully, Corr is the better for the run. He was about a foot off in his timing. That can make all the difference back there. I just want to see Jy and LDU getting a good run together this season. Last year, they hardly played together for two games in a row.

If both fit to play, the two co-captains will come in. I’d also bring in Greenwood if he’s fit, with Hugh to be the backup ruck. That allows us to bring in a KPF with better forward craft than CCJ, so that’s probably Sellers with Comben developing as a back. And with Jy, LMac and Hugh coming in, there’s less of a need for the experience of Shiels and Tucker, so I’d look to bring in Phillips. Overall, bring in:

LMac for Goater
Simpkin for Lazzaro
Sellers for CCJ
Phillips for Shiels
Greenwood for Tucker
I really feel that we should give some thought to getting Sellers and Larkey, time to work together

Last season was Amiss' first full season at AFL level after his debut in a final the previous year. He did enough to be our leading goalkicker, when our midfield-forward connection was truly shite. He'll be a gun in time, for now he's very good. Agree that Treacy is a grafter. On our board we were chatting about how him taking on ruck duties brought him and his physicality into the game. He will bury at least one person next week, and should be good for a goal a game. He kicked 3 against Brissie, Amiss kicked 4.

I'm not confident about this game because we had 3 people go down, and we'll be buggered physically off a shorter break. But our midfield looked like rolled gold against Brisbane (who were missing Neale mind you) so hopefully it's a competitive game from our side

Our defence last time vs Freo (1pt win)

B - Ziebell - Logue - Corr
HB - Sheezel - McDonald - Bergman

We also still had Cunners, Simpkin & Greenwood through the midfield.

Our defence last time vs Freo (1pt win)

B - Ziebell - Logue - Corr
HB - Sheezel - McDonald - Bergman

We also still had Cunners, Simpkin & Greenwood through the midfield.
Balanced backline, that. Maybe a touch slow but I'd like to see a bit more defensive fortification in the lineup this week

One thing - enough with the slow starts! GWS could have been five goals up before we crawled out of bed. It was even noticeable in our pre-season games. It was a major factor all last year too. If the opposition kick truly early, we’re screwed - game over.

One thing - enough with the slow starts! GWS could have been five goals up before we crawled out of bed. It was even noticeable in our pre-season games. It was a major factor all last year too. If the opposition kick truly early, we’re screwed - game over.
Yeah it's been a problem for quite awhile.
Seem to be always have to work ourselves into games.

I can't remember many recent times we got a decent lead early on.

Yeah it's been a problem for quite awhile.
Seem to be always have to work ourselves into games.

I can't remember many recent times we got a decent lead early on.

Second Melbourne game last year when we got like 5 in a row off the bat was impressive. Bottled it though, of course.

Last edited:
Second Melbourne game last year when we got like 5 in a row off the bat was impressive. Bottled it though, of course.
Felt like that Hansen Jr bungle 8m out was the turning point. Doubt we would've won but there are certain thresholds that teams cross that make you think 'yeah, this'll be close.' Felt like we were fast nearing that point in that game but couldn't quite get there, and Melbourne steamrolled away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back