Preview Changes vs The Orange - GWS v WB, Rd 6, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Another thought about the five changes (four of them unforced) is that Bevo is trying to get the right chemistry and might have a few things he wants to try before the crunch game next week against the Tiges. That would not be a good time to start experimenting.

Obviously that could backfire if we lose tomorrow but you have to take chances at some stage and it all comes down to timing.

Hopefully Jong’s in to play Mcneils role, which amazingly he’s never played at AFL level given his strengths are his marking, hardness and speed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't know about total misses but he has kicked 33.22 from his 64 games. He's not the worst set shot from 40 out.

What's the individual record for number of times omitted during a season? Lippy is up to 3 in 6 rounds. The medical sub means you can now be omitted multiple weeks in a row, so he'd have to be a chance.

His career average is 57% by foot. He has actually gone backwards this year. Gardner has a career average of 70% and has increased it to 86% this year. I'm not saying Young isn't talented, he clearly is a much better intercept mark than Gardner and I'm sure he has top level talents at other aspects of the game. It can't be denied however, that his lack of skill by foot hurts us.

When you consider what our defensive system requires to thrive and what is required to score against us, you simply can't have a bloke out there who turns it over every second time he gets the ball.

Again Lewis Young’s figures are from a small sample.

All I’m saying is allow him some continuity that has been afforded to others

And that play right there is why he isn’t getting continuity.

After 4 years his positional play is miles off required

Well been there for 4 years the club must see something in him just like they saw something in the likes of Bailey Williams and Bailey Dale that some were saying we would be lucky to get a 3rd round pick at the trade table and they were deadwood on our list.

Patience and continuity before decisions are made.

And that play right there is why he isn’t getting continuity.

After 4 years his positional play is miles off required
Well been there for 4 years the club must see something in him just like someone like Bailey Williams and Bailey Dale that some were saying we would be lucky to get a 3rd round pick at the trade table.
Has the talent and ability to be very good player. Doesn’t put the effort in and goes into a daze.

Club has to stick with him but they’ve gotta talk to him.

For those perplexed by the Lewis Young decision, you need only look at one stat. Kicking Efficiency. He goes at 50% which is woeful in a system that gets hurt by turnover and indecision. You can just about stamp his papers, he is done and will no doubt be part of discussions in a trade for McAsey.

For those playing at home Ryan Gardner goes at 86% by foot.
Spot on. Whilst not a super fan of Gardner, he brings consistency and reliability to the Dogs' backline.

I don't get the man-love for Youngy. I'm not going to bag him - unlike quite a few posters here who bag Gardner and Cordy - and hope he is given more chances (and plays a part in our Premiership), but stats like that are hard to ignore. He seems to get a little nervous when the pressure is applied, too. This may improve with more games, and I hope it does.

What's with the zero-sum thing with Gardner and Young? It's either one or the other for some of you, and the other is always 'bad'. I'd like to know what the MC is thinking re those two, but I'm betting they want BOTH to succeed, at least to give us more depth when injuries inevitably occur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have given up predicting Bevo's team selection long ago. Has there ever been a team that has won 5 in a row and undefeated that have made 5 changes with 4 omissions? I have previously posted it is easier to pick the correct tattslotto numbers. So this week might take a ticket with the ins 8 (Steph), 12 (Cordy), 23 (VDM), 35(Caleb and given no number 46 (Jong) numbers 4 and 6.

This must be Bevo's way to stop the team getting ahead of themselves. I am not complaining, Bevo is a different cat and probably already our best coach and if gets multiple flags might get statute next to EJ.
Yeah, our best coach, by a fair margin. Malthouse was pretty good, but had some *handy* players at his disposal, whereas Bev's Premiership team - one of the youngest in the AFL that year - performed above most people's expectations.

But yeah, the BigFooty match committee continues to declare they are puzzled. LOL.

Pretty clear we’ve brought in some hardness to make sure there’s no backward steps against these pricks tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Pretty clear to some (I'm with you). Not clear at all to a lot of others gauging by the melts.

He's been past his best for 4 years, he ain't turning it around unless we can find a way to release him at half forward. He should be enjoying the rule changes, but has yet to seriously impact a game for longer than 1 quarter. Can't believe how good he was in 2016 before that hammy.

2017 JJ one vote away from winning B&F
2018 7th
2019 4th
2020 - out of top 10

This boards opinion of Jason’s post Norm Smith form is VERY different to the club’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on. Whilst not a super fan of Gardner, he brings consistency and reliability to the Dogs' backline.

I don't get the man-love for Youngy. I'm not going to bag him - unlike quite a few posters here who bag Gardner and Cordy - and hope he is given more chances (and plays a part in our Premiership), but stats like that are hard to ignore. He seems to get a little nervous when the pressure is applied, too. This may improve with more games, and I hope it does.

What's with the zero-sum thing with Gardner and Young? It's either one or the other for some of you, and the other is always 'bad'. I'd like to know what the MC is thinking re those two, but I'm betting they want BOTH to succeed, at least to give us more depth when injuries inevitably occur.

I think its just that our system is better suited to two talls and Keath is obviously number one by a long, long way. That leaves Gardy, Young and Cordy fighting for one spot. We all have our preferences.

Personally I think Gardner suits our system the best. I'd love to see Young come along but I just haven't seen enough improvement from him as yet.

From Twitter

With averages of 23y 261d and 59 games the round 6 GWS side is both the youngest and least experienced team for any game this season

To underline this point, what's the contingency plan when Keath gets injured?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back