Preview Changes vs the Saints(Rnd 2)-In: Viney, Out: Harmes(inj), Chandler(Omit)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if Viney and Hibberd are fit. If they are then they come on for Hunt and Sparrow.
I think we’re also in need of another small forward. Either Bedford or Chandler. Maybe for Jones. Although I thought Jones was ok so wouldn’t be in a rush to drop him.
Yeah, not against putting Jones as the sub and bringing in Chandler or Bedford for some pace up front.

I can’t help but feel there’s only room for 1 of Jones, Viney and Sparrow.

Pretty clear it’s Viney.
Knowing Goody, all 3 will play this week. Need pace against Saints. Drop Sparrow for Viney, put Jones to the sub(gets a game closer to 300) and bring in Chandler. Bedford outside chance with his pace and endurance but I've got Chandler ahead of him atm.

Fritsch and McDonald will need to nail those simple set shots if we're going to win.
Fritsch is bloody frustrating. He's got a beautiful action and it usually looks great off the boot, but he misses so many of those 60/40, 70/30 type shots. He also leads into the pockets far too much creating a tough chance.

TMac will be ok i reckon. Usually looks assured in front of goal. Trac is the worry. Gets a mountain of opportunity but you never feel confident when he's lining up. Fritsch and Trac are the 2 that simy must convert better..

Fritsch is bloody frustrating. He's got a beautiful action and it usually looks great off the boot, but he misses so many of those 60/40, 70/30 type shots. He also leads into the pockets far too much creating a tough chance.

TMac will be ok i reckon. Usually looks assured in front of goal. Trac is the worry. Gets a mountain of opportunity but you never feel confident when he's lining up. Fritsch and Trac are the 2 that simy must convert better..
I notice Fritsch seems to miss to the same side each time though, so hopefully that can fixed, not like he’s all over the place with his kicking, he could well for a 40+ goal forward with the amount of opportunities he creates for himself, which would be massive for us if he can get to that point.

Need to force St.Kilda to kick long into their forwardline. Trust May and Lever to mark everything and deprive them of the ground ball. Means we need to nail positioning to cut off the kicker kicking short into that free space from the mark. Reckon we managed that strategy quite well in the preseason against the dogs for a half, but we'll need to go one better on Saturday.

Last edited:
75% capacity crowds approved. Might actually be able to get a ticket.

I would rather do a Jay Lockhart than go to Marvel

I notice Fritsch seems to miss to the same side each time though, so hopefully that can fixed, not like he’s all over the place with his kicking, he could well for a 40+ goal forward with the amount of opportunities he creates for himself, which would be massive for us if he can get to that point.
I reckon he is all over the place. If he misses one side he'll over correct to the other. Hopefully he can get it right because he could be very damaging.

McDonald isn't far off his best with his goal kicking accuracy.

Annoying because Fritta does all of the hard work and then just throws it away. Reckon he needs a day out where he just somehow kicks six or seven straight to really get his confidence up
Neitz towards the end of his career you knew if he missed the first shot he was going to have a bad day out. If he kicked his first then you knew he would kick a bag.

I reckon he is all over the place. If he misses one side he'll over correct to the other. Hopefully he can get it right because he could be very damaging.

McDonald isn't far off his best with his goal kicking accuracy.
I saw him a few to the same side on Saturday, but you’re right, he could be a really damaging forward, surprisingly strong mark and seems to have 3-4 shots on goal each week.

Tmac is a fantastic kick for a goal, especially his kick from the boundary on the weekend, here’s hoping he can continue on his performance on Saturday, will solve so much of our problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw him a few to the same side on Saturday, but you’re right, he could be a really damaging forward, surprisingly strong mark and seems to have 3-4 shots on goal each week.

Tmac is a fantastic kick for a goal, especially his kick from the boundary on the weekend, here’s hoping he can continue on his performance on Saturday, will solve so much of our problems.
Maybe on Saturday but last year he was spraying them everywhere. Anyway he does get it a lot so hopefully he can just pull it together and just have a day out.

Just from my own observation i think the issue with Fritsch is that he often leans back too much on contact with the ball on set shots. Recipe for disaster when you have a bit of a higher ball drop than most like Fritsch does

75% capacity crowds approved. Might actually be able to get a ticket.
Melbourne supporters don’t go to the MCG let alone Docklands

Just from my own observation i think the issue with Fritsch is that he often leans back too much on contact with the ball on set shots. Recipe for disaster when you have a bit of a higher ball drop than most like Fritsch does
True, also as someone else here said, he leads far too wide and ends up resulting in really difficult set shots on goal.

Ah well, get it together Fritta, you’ll be a very decent player.

We’re 4-3 against the Saints since we ended our 100 game losing streak against them in R1 2017. They beat us twice in 2019 when we were shithouse and once in 2018 when they were shithouse (one of the most abominable days at the footy) but in the three contests where we’ve been at the same level as them (2017, 2017, 2020) their famed ‘outside run’ hasn’t actually been a huge issue for all everyone goes on about it. Again we should really be aiming to control this one from start to finish.
Wow that's an interesting reach picking out 2017 and 2020 as point of reference. Maybe 5 or 6 saints players left from those 2017 games will play this week.

Famed outside run is a pretty new concept, we were treacle slow before Butler, Hill & Jones arrived.

3 brownlow votes on offer to Gawn this week I imagine.

Here's to a good contest. :thumbsu:

Wow that's an interesting reach picking out 2017 and 2020 as point of reference. Maybe 5 or 6 saints players left from those 2017 games will play this week.

Famed outside run is a pretty new concept, we were treacle slow before Butler, Hill & Jones arrived.

3 brownlow votes on offer to Gawn this week I imagine.

Here's to a good contest. :thumbsu:
do you go on the opposition board and take grievance with random posts every week, or are we just especially fortunate?

do you go on the opposition board and take grievance with random posts every week, or are we just especially fortunate?
Nah not my normal schtick so your lucky day,

Saints banter getting a little boring, so I thought I'd check out how you guys were previewing the game.

No offense meant BTW. I'll jog on. :)

Nah not my normal schtick so your lucky day,

Saints banter getting a little boring, so I thought I'd check out how you guys were previewing the game.

No offense meant BTW. I'll jog on. :)
No stress ;) That post was targeted at other Dees fans who don't seem to understand your game style very well, wasn't having a go at the Saints.

Fritsch from the left pocket is automatic, from the right is hopeless. Very strange.

Yeah, looks like he's trying to caress it through instead of putting his weight through the ball. Leaning back like that often causes a miss to the kicking-leg side.

They had that graphic up at one point that shows career accuracy from a particular point. From 30m out on the right hand side facing goal he's missed 4 left, 1 right and 0 goals. That's gotta be a technique failing.

Jacko flashed on the weekend but he needs to lift. With the shape and form TMac is in, Jacko could be the one to make way once Brown and Weid are back. He's done nothing wrong, just saying.

Credit to TMac. He looks fantastic and has his 17/18 game style going again.

Quality depth with our talls, it's a nice unusual Melbourne problem to have.

it is very unusual, and it's got me concerned that if all four are fit, Jackson, Tmac, Brown and Weideman, that crazy Goody will select all of them and do away with the extra smalls we had this week compared with much of last season and unravel any chance of a 'balanced team'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back