Changes Vs Tigers Marvel Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

XOH seriously sent us backwards with nearly every touch/fumble and poor defensive call.

Mumford and Hopper were both basically ineffective barring the obvious.

TT looked awfully injured at the end. :(

I'm ok with persisting with XOH, it's a learning process, but Mumford needs that rest and Hopper out really just makes our rotations a lot cleaner with both hands and feet. The difference between Green and Hopper is startlingly obvious with Tom collecting balls with his first touch and being able to release effective handballs unlike Jacob.

Finlayson probably gets a week or two.
Mummy deserves a rest....

I’m bringing in hogan if fit and Flynn for those two

XOH seriously sent us backwards with nearly every touch/fumble and poor defensive call.

Mumford and Hopper were both basically ineffective barring the obvious.

TT looked awfully injured at the end. :(

I'm ok with persisting with XOH, it's a learning process, but Mumford needs that rest and Hopper out really just makes our rotations a lot cleaner with both hands and feet. The difference between Green and Hopper is startlingly obvious with Tom collecting balls with his first touch and being able to release effective handballs unlike Jacob.
Am not sure if you’re serious about Hopper? 14 contested disposals and 8 clearances. Who comes in to take over that load?
Tom Green is a freak with his ability to gather and spread. Measuring blokes against this ability will always leave us disappointed.

Am not sure if you’re serious about Hopper? 14 contested disposals and 8 clearances. Who comes in to take over that load?
Tom Green is a freak with his ability to gather and spread. Measuring blokes against this ability will always leave us disappointed.
I'm not sure what 14 contested disposals and 8 clearances is meant to establish. I didn't say he didn't get contested balls, I said he was ineffective. Two years ago Hopper was a contested ball, getting hands to it while staying on his feet and feeding it to Taranto to get a bit of a burst away.

How many of those disposals or clearances went to our advantage?

How many more could he have had if he hadn't fumbled or lost his footing in the process?

This year he fumbles, he leaves his feet, he can't chase ruckmen, and he repeatedly handballs to teammates' disadvantage - making them leave their feet or reach behind them, making them easier to shut down. We won't even mention his kicking.

I would rank 2019 Hopper above Green, though with Green having special abilities that would likely see him pass Hopper.

2021 Hopper is a completely different kettle of fish.

If Finlayson gets suspended, he might actually be doing us a favour.

His record against Richmond isn't pretty. Remember only 1 possession in the GF? He followed that up with just 5 in last year's game. In fact, they're his worst opponent for disposals and inside 50s, even uncontested possessions.

He did kick a bag against them a couple of years ago, but since then, he just hasn't shown up.

Maybe he knew what he was doing with that elbow.

It will depend on who's available - is Hogan just a week out, or more - which given that ''calf'' was given as the reason but he wasn't on the earlier injury list it might be several weeks? Is anyone else right to return? The last injury list only had Buntine back from concussion, and Hutchesson from his hamstring supposedly right to go. Haynes was 1-3 weeks, which I don't expect to mean available next week. Riccardi is obviously available to return.

I do think Mummy needs a rest, so if Finlayson does get suspended, I'd be happy to try Flynn & Briggs as a double-team on Nankervis, spending the remainder of the time as the third forward. Briggs could present as a very solid FF, leaving Harry to roam, and could give Flynn a chop out 30-40% of the time, with Flynn able to clunk marks forward too.

I'm unsure about Sproule - I'll admit I didn't like his selection, but he was right in the action against the Bombers and probably doesn't deserve to lose his spot ... and with no VFL game, Riccardi couldn't show anything to get selected over him.

P.S. I'm not sure that Finlayson misses - it looked worse than it actually was. It depends on where they grade it - given it actually hit his shoulder first before sliding up. Unfortunately, the VFL MRO often plays favourites (& we're not!!), so I'd expect the worst outcome from him; just depends on whether we fight it or not at the panel.

I'm not sure what 14 contested disposals and 8 clearances is meant to establish. I didn't say he didn't get contested balls, I said he was ineffective. Two years ago Hopper was a contested ball, getting hands to it while staying on his feet and feeding it to Taranto to get a bit of a burst away.

How many more could he have had if he hadn't fumbled or lost his footing in the process?

This year he fumbles, he leaves his feet, he can't chase ruckmen, and he repeatedly handballs to teammates' disadvantage - making them leave their feet or reach behind them, making them easier to shut down. We won't even mention his kicking.

I would rank 2019 Hopper above Green, though with Green having special abilities that would likely see him pass Hopper.

Fair enough. I guess I haven’t noticed his disposal being so bad. I like that Hopper tends to choose more attacking options with his kicking so is more likely to come unstuck. Prefer this to the go nowhere chipping around half back, which has its place, but not when attacking opportunities are ignored.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. I guess I haven’t noticed his disposal being so bad. I like that Hopper tends to choose more attacking options with his kicking so is more likely to come unstuck. Prefer this to the go nowhere chipping around half back, which has its place, but not when attacking opportunities are ignored.
He looked better in the Swans game where we played to his strengths more with more people around the ball and a handball heavy plan, but it's been tough for him in a lot of the other games this season - especially by comparison to what we've seen from him before.

A few random thoughts.

If Fritsch walked away scot free from his crime scene at the tribunal last week then there’s no way Finlayson should cop anything more than a fine.

Hopper - a gun for me, albeit an imperfect one, and must be running near top 5 in our 2021 B&F to date.

X - a work-in-progress X-factor player for me. I think we just keep playing him as he appears to have serious upside. Inconsistent but worth the frustration for me.

Sproule - he looked very good in week 1 of the VFL vs Swans. For me he’s our #1 VFL KPF who can step in if we’re short in the AFL. Behind Riccardi though, assuming R isn’t being reassigned to a long term KPD role. Will be interesting to see whether Sproule can step up to a more regular AFL role in 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If Fritsch walked away scot free from his crime scene at the tribunal last week then there’s no way Finlayson should cop anything more than a fine.

Honestly that Fritsch decision was a joke. I'd rather everyone get nailed thereafter than that be the new standard.

dlanod I think you are being way too hard on Hopper.

Finlayson may be lucky and only get a fine due to shoulder first. Very lucky boy that he didn't do more damage or make first contact with the jaw

Im fine if he gets a suspension.

Hogan comes in if available for Sproule.

Haynes straight in if available also. I think he is likely to miss 1 or 2 more.

Mummy out for I assume Flynn, wouldnt surprise me if we give Briggs a run. More like for like.

You are way off with Hopper.

With Finlayson out the worry I have is Flynn rucking for 4 qtrs, unless we are playing Cal Ward as a ruckman again. Even though Richmond are still playing Pickett as a chop out ruck, id rather exploit that than match it. I think it's time for Flynn/ Briggs combo. If Hogan is fit he's in for Sproule, agreed that Sproule is VFL/ break glass in case of emergency option. If no Hogan, Riccardi back in. Easy week of training needed because we look to have a few sore bodies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back