Changes vs Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

In. L. Jones. Richards. A. Jones/Clarke.

Out. Keath. Bruce. VDM.

Its time to put the 3 tall defenders idea in the bin.

We should've done it last week when Greene was the obvious threat.

We need to do it this week when the likes of Martin and Baker are the obvious threats.

What I'd really like to see is one of JOD or Busslinger replace Gardner in the side.

He's reached his ceiling. Its time to move past him.

In. L. Jones. Richards. A. Jones/Clarke.

Out. Keath. Bruce. VDM.

Its time to put the 3 tall defenders idea in the bin.

We should've done it last week when Greene was the obvious threat.

We need to do it this week when the likes of Martin and Baker are the obvious threats.

What I'd really like to see is one of JOD or Busslinger replace Gardner in the side.

He's reached his ceiling. Its time to move past him.
Three tall defenders is not the way these days. Most teams do not even have two decent tall forwards. Blues, Cats are probably the only two.

It is always small players that bend us over. So why are we not playing extra smalls who actually have legs?

Another thing that baffles me about our selection. Too top heavy for the modern game.

Three tall defenders is not the way these days. Most teams do not even have two decent tall forwards. Blues, Cats are probably the only two.

It is always small players that bend us over. So why are we not playing extra smalls who actually have legs?

Another thing that baffles me about our selection. Too top heavy for the modern game.
Completely depends who the three talls are. If It is Gardner, Keath and Bruce it doesn't work if it is May, Lever and Petty/Tomlinson then it does.
I'd be happy to go in with three talls if it was a combo of Jones, Buss and O'Donnell. Decent at ground level, above average kick for position and good lockdown/intercept combo.

Completely depends who the three talls are. If It is Gardner, Keath and Bruce it doesn't work if it is May, Lever and Petty/Tomlinson then it does.
I'd be happy to go in with three talls if it was a combo of Jones, Buss and O'Donnell. Decent at ground level, above average kick for position and good lockdown/intercept combo.
Definitely agree with all that. May and Lever are not exactly fast either, but they are physical and read the play very well. Something we lack outside of Jones. Busslinger and JOD are at least athletic and use the ball well.

Keath and Gards look like a deer in headlights at times, as they take a long time to dispose of the ball, and panic easily. Cannot rely on confidence players, as its a lucky dip which version of them will rock up that game day. Hoping if JOD can finally get a decent run at it, and Busslinger gets a shot, that both just take the game on.

This seems like a reasonable point. Perhaps that might have been the intention with getting games into JOD earlier. Get it to the point where we can go in with 2 tall defenders (L Jones and JOD) both of whom can intercept plus Richards. 2 tall interceptors, a medium interceptor and running hb plus 3 or 4 small defenders who can run or kick with penetration or both. The danger would be that one of the talls gets injured, or both, but we couldn't be that unlucky again.

And forward similarly. Given we don't use all our rotations, do we sit Lobb on the bench for most of the game and he takes the field when one of the tall forwards or Timmy are resting and then we rarely if ever play 3 talls in the fwd line. Would allow for a smaller but faster fwd set up that should be more capable of defending effectively.

:think:

What I think may happen:
IN: L.Jones, JOD, Richards
OUT: Bruce (Inj), Keath (Conc), Cleary (unfortunately)

Really want Buss to come in for Gardner but I doubt we’d change out all our tall defenders in one hit.

Injecting some youth would be great and needed. Hopefully there’s a few more changes.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Most teams and especially the good ones do run with 3 tall defenders, as a good chunk of teams usually have 3 tall forwards. The difference for ours are the negative limitations for a crap system and being prone to injuries.

Too often we need to try and switch through our key backs, when other teams can get it to their runners who are able to kick to space created up the field for leads. We just try to make sure we have numbers around the ball at every contest which means we are stretched once it’s turned over, or we take an eternity to try and move the ball which just allows the opponent to set up.

Take the last 2 weeks for example. We beat Essendon because they couldn’t/didn’t move the ball, so we could control the field. We lost to GWS partly through injury, but mostly because we couldn’t cope with the faster ball movement. We didn’t lose because of contested possessions or anything like that, the modern game is more about speed of ball. As long as you can pretty much break even in clearances and contested ball, you can still win if you’re using it better than they are.

Collingwood for example in their last 2 games. Narrowly won CP & clearances, beat Port. Smashed in CP & clearances, lost to Carlton. But go back to the 3rd game and they narrowly won CP but lost clearances, yet smashed Freo (who usually move the ball like crap as well).

We need a new game plan which is unfortunately far too late in the season to try and do now, but next season we need an overhaul and better fitness levels, as a lot of our players need to work harder and run more by way of repeat sprints. We just don’t lead enough.

I would rather miss the finals then scraping in
Such a silly comment from many posters. As a kid Footscray missed the finals from 1985 to 1992. We had the hawks on toast at the Prelim in 85 until Lethal won them the match in the last.

We have to savour making the finals. It provides our club revenue, hope, and more importantly finals experience to the young blokes who will win us our next flag.

Last edited:
Such a silly comment from many posters. As a kid Footscray missed the finals from 1985 to 1992. We had the hawks on toast at the Prelim in 85 until Lethal won them the match in the last.

We have to savour making the finals. It provides our club revenue, hope, and more importantly finals experience to the young blokes who will win is our next flag.
Sometimes short term pain is required. The reality is while Bevo is coach and if we scrape into finals nothing will change. We will not beat top 6 teams, we will be bundled out in the elimination and this will repeat and repeat until significant changes are made to the coaching department. I would prefer to finish 9th year and win the flag next rather than scraping in each year and bowing our in the elimination final

I sometimes struggle to get the logic of posters on here at times.

In what world would Cleary be one of the outs for next week. Was more mature and composed than most in the backline than any other.

Only had 2 issues. A pass from Dale, who actually had Naughton on his own 50 meters up the middle, forced a kick down the line that was a turnover. Never mind the kick was always going there and we let 5 GWS players compete for the ball.

Also lost his feet at an in opportune time.

We have Keath amd Bruce out and he is already ahead of VDM and Duryea so how on earth is he an out this week

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

JOD was playing better than him in the VFL when they were both playing together. JOD is also better man on man. Since then one has been playing AFL and done solid, not sure how Buss is better on form now when both have been playing at different levels.

Yes Busslinger deserves to be rewarded for form at some point as you said, but using the same argument. Players should only be dropped to the VFL as a result of poor form.
Buss was coming off a serious shoulder injury so was always going to be behind early in the season. He is in no way Behind JOD now.

However, both should be playing not to get game time but because they are better options than the alternative

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buss was coming off a serious shoulder injury so was always going to be behind early in the season. He is in no way Behind JOD now.

However, both should be playing not to get game time but because they are better options than the alternative

I'm not sure a do or die (for the Tigers) is the best introduction for Buss this week but I get the thinking and I guess it could happen. Perhaps the following weeks against teams already out of contention is another way of introducing him. JOD and Jones (hopefully) would return this week imo and then it's do we need 3 tall defenders against a smaller Tigers backline. The defenders will need to be clean against their dangerous smalls so perhaps Gards is vulnerable as a spoiling approach and cumbersome handling is likely to play into their hands. I don't think Duryea survives his costly lapses on Greene and can't see Cleary in any danger of being dropped whatsoever.

Forward is equally pressing. The lack of defensive application is just asking too much of the sluggish midfield. The mids are winning it and getting it in there. They should expect and demand a better effort from the forwards to keep it there. Doing there own defensive work and covering for the forwards is exhausting them. I'd be swinging the axe up there this week as Saturday's effort was abysmal. At least 2 changes but could be as many as four. Defensive pressure, application and enthusiasm. Naughts is the one who put in a decent effort (and West it seems), as he usually does. Everyone else has some explaining to do. If they can't kick a goal up there and maximise their opportunities at least defend. The mids deserve that at least.

Last edited:
Win this game and we give ourselves some margin of error (i.e. losing in Geelong) to still make finals, the draw has been so kind to us all year and continues to be so with everyone around us playing each other all the way through to the last game of the year.

Tigers will bring the heat, if we can’t match them we will get smashed.

And here is the problem we know what other teams will bring but we do not know what our side will bring.

We don't know what they bring qtr by qtr.

Frustrating

I think the game will be decided by how easily we allow the tigers to transition the ball out of the forward we have other problems but this our achilles heel. It has cost us so much proabably four games, Swans, GWS. GC cats. Kicking straight will help doubly it puts the score on the board and prevents a turnover in our backline.

Gut feel tells me we have a good chance to lose this one, based on form over the past 5 games. If Tigers get a run on at any stage, game over. We allowed a 7 goal run to them last time, and barely held on for the win. Dropped 8 point games vs the Swans and the Giants. Which means this game is now a mini final for us.

Gut feel tells me we have a good chance to lose this one, based on form over the past 5 games. If Tigers get a run on at any stage, game over. We allowed a 7 goal run to them last time, and barely held on for the win. Dropped 8 point games vs the Swans and the Giants. Which means this game is now a mini final for us.
At least no Lynch 💁‍♂️

Richmond haven’t won at Marvel since R9, 2021 and haven’t beaten us there since 2013. Let’s hope these streaks continue.
Great almost makes them a certainty against us

We have a habit of assisting other clubs in this regard and playing players of opposition clubs back into form

Their ex coach did not like Marvel and didn’t hide it

In what world would Cleary be one of the outs for next week. Was more mature and composed than most in the backline than any other.

Only had 2 issues. A pass from Dale, who actually had Naughton on his own 50 meters up the middle, forced a kick down the line that was a turnover. Never mind the kick was always going there and we let 5 GWS players compete for the ball.

We have Keath amd Bruce out and he is already ahead of VDM and Duryea so how on earth is he an out this week

99% of the posters who have said Cleary out have said it as that’s what they expect not what they want to happen.

Let’s face it, would you really be surprised if Bev dropped Cleary for Ed? I’d say it’s almost likely at this point

I agree. Cleary has had to wait too long for his opportunity and actually had a bit of poise with ball in hand.
He's not the reason we're conceding multiple goals in a row (it's largely from centre clearance) but he does at least have the kick on him to help us get the ball out of our D50.

He projects as a defensively sound player with an above average kick. Play him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back