SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Yup, 3 of the best. We need to learn to destroy teams when we have them by the throat. Simply annihilate them without taking the pedal off the gas.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Couldn't have said it better myself mate. I don't know who flicks the off switch, but streuth, just bury them if we have to!!

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Missed the point TD.
The forum stays open and people should try to exercise some self control - like majority of posters can and do.
My television would have a lot to say about the expletives I have screamed at it, when trying to "get through" to Collingwood. I suppose there is some merit to people asking rhetorically "you know they can't hear you, right?"

Missed the point TD.
The forum stays open and people should try to exercise some self control - like majority of poster can and do.

True but you also relise especially straight after a Game that people can find it hard to stay under control with so much emotion going thru them

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Biggest change needed is not personnel but speed of ball movement.

You realize we're facing an opposition that uses pressure as it's main staple, what was lacking on Friday was swarm - speed we had and what was lacking in the speed we had was de.

Clean up the de and we win that game, we are better than the opp we face in transition. Richmond are a team that likes to score off turnover or suffocation if you will, granted we are too and is a key signature in our game. Swarm more and keep spreading, but clean up the de on the spread. Easier said than done I know given the opp we face but clearly last year we came up against form teams and consistently turned them over and then out transitioned on winning the pill.

Get back to that and we win more significantly than we lose.

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If their are 2 games this year we must win it has to be against the tigers. Hopefully us pie fans come out unscathed as Richmond supporters are known to belt opposition supporters like on last Thursday night and the final v hawthorn

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
If Crocker is selected tonight.. if that keftada is picked.. I f swear man.. next time I go for a kick with me mates at the local imma lead by jumping over the boundary fence followed by jumping over someone's back fence with me mates going.. 'what the f are you doing re?' I'll just respond by saying 'I'm doing a Crocker re.. when the f have you ever seen the kreas lead up the f guts re'.

I have f had it.. that's it for me man.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
You realize we're facing an opposition that uses pressure as it's main staple, what was lacking on Friday was swarm - speed we had and what was lacking in the speed we had was de.

Clean up the de and we win that game, we are better than the opp we face in transition. Richmond are a team that likes to score off turnover or suffocation if you will, granted we are too and is a key signature in our game. Swarm more and keep spreading, but clean up the de on the spread. Easier said than done I know given the opp we face but clearly last year we came up against form teams and consistently turned them over and then out transitioned on winning the pill.

Get back to that and we win more significantly than we lose.
Yes, you make some good points. Apart from the incredible skill errors, which (hopefully) won't be repeated, the two things that really frustrated me were:

1. The number of times we moved the ball forward really slowly, allowing the Cats to flood our F50 zone, leaving our forwards no time or space and forcing our ball carriers to predictably bomb it long hoping for miraculous contested marks, which didn't eventuate. We've got to get in there faster.

2. The number of times we won the ball on half back line, start moving the ball forward quickly only to find no team-mates within 70 metres of goal. To me that screams lazy two-way running. If our mids and forwards are going to push high up the ground to help defend, they also have to turn and sprint back to goal when we win the ball. If they haven't got the running speed/endurance to do it, then they shouldn't push up so high.

The whole match seemed to fluctuate between instances of No.1 and No.2 above. We couldn't seem to get the balance right.

Its funny that Bucks was so critical of our defence. I though our defence performed better than our mids and forwards (Elliott excepted). As a general comment, I think our mids' two-way running is often quite poor and many of our defeats can be traced back to it. I don't really think its a fitness thing, I think its an attitude thing.

Oct 28, 2006
MT OLYMPUS
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Olympiakos, McLaren
If Crocker is selected tonight.. if that keftada is picked.. I f swear man.. next time I go for a kick with me mates at the local imma lead by jumping over the boundary fence followed by jumping over someone's back fence with me mates going.. 'what the f are you doing re?' I'll just respond by saying 'I'm doing a Crocker re.. when the f have you ever seen the kreas lead up the f guts re'.

I have f had it.. that's it for me man.

Leave crokeretsi alone. He tries.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
If they name Crocker I swear man.. I will tell everyone I'm Chrispiesssss on April the 1st and say that I have this psychic ability to get players 'right' and on which part of the pitch they're best suited to and that re.. have posters go.. 'only the gimp is capable of that'.. so I can go.. 'Well guess what.. Apriiiiiiil Fools day reeeeee!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha it is the Gimp re hahahaha'. Followed by posters going.. 'thought so.. how can you go from knowing.. to not knowing'.

I have f had it man.. that's it for me.

Yes, you make some good points. Apart from the incredible skill errors, which (hopefully) won't be repeated, the two things that really frustrated me were:

1. The number of times we moved the ball forward really slowly, allowing the Cats to flood our F50 zone, leaving our forwards no time or space and forcing our ball carriers to predictably bomb it long hoping for miraculous contested marks, which didn't eventuate. We've got to get in there faster.

2. The number of times we won the ball on half back line, start moving the ball forward quickly only to find no team-mates within 70 metres of goal. To me that screams lazy two-way running. If our mids and forwards are going to push high up the ground to help defend, they also have to turn and sprint back to goal when we win the ball. If they haven't got the running speed/endurance to do it, then they shouldn't push up so high.

The whole match seemed to fluctuate between instances of No.1 and No.2 above. We couldn't seem to get the balance right.

Its funny that Bucks was so critical of our defence. I though our defence performed better than our mids and forwards (Elliott excepted). As a general comment, I think our mids' two-way running is often quite poor and many of our defeats can be traced back to it. I don't really think its a fitness thing, I think its an attitude thing.
Where did Buckley say our defense was poor? He said the midfield didn't get their hands dirty.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ga Doey

Team Captain
Aug 25, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
If they name Crocker I swear man.. I will tell everyone I'm Chrispiesssss on April the 1st and say that I have this psychic ability to get players 'right' and on which part of the pitch they're best suited to and that re.. have posters go.. 'only the gimp is capable of that'.. so I can go.. 'Well guess what.. Apriiiiiiil Fools day reeeeee!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha it is the Gimp re hahahaha'. Followed by posters going.. 'thought so.. how can you go from knowing.. to not knowing'.

I have f had it man.. that's it for me.

Do I have to read this pissed, high or in a different accent to understand?

jk xoxo

Gaben

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
People will get in arms about this, but Crocker has potential as a HBFer/winger and he'll get a shot filling that role at AFL level at some stage this year. He has the opportunity to push someone like Mayne or Phillips out which I don't think people should be averse to. He has better skills than both those blokes, tackles and chases as well as Mayne does and is probably a bigger offensive threat than both on the wing. Obviously lacks in a fair few areas compared to those guys as well, but I wouldn't put a line through him completely just yet. He's being developed in a completely different role than when we last saw him at AFL level and that's a good thing IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thefly38

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal , LA Clippers , Seattle SH
Buckley responding to question regarding Sier and then just saying his name and talking about anyone but Sier says to me he’s very unlikely to come in.

Oct 28, 2006
MT OLYMPUS
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Olympiakos, McLaren
Buckley responding to question regarding Sier and then just saying his name and talking about anyone but Sier says to me he’s very unlikely to come in.

Unfortunately, that’s the impression I got too.

I really think we are doing the team an injustice not playing him.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
I was quite confident in our ability to perform reliably coming into this season, but that performance in Round 1 has shaken that confidence somewhat.

I honestly assumed performances like that were behind us.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still not sure how I feel about Thursday night games. On the positive side it's a short turn around and already only 2 days until we play, with our team to be selected tomorrow evening.

On the other hand you have to basically do the whole weekend without watching the Pies play.

I guess if we win it'll be a whole 9 days to bask in glory before the GF rematch.

Makes for a very long weekend if you lose.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think much of that was that they maintained structures behind the footy really well which resulted in slow ball movement rather than our slow ball movement permitting them to do it. Said pre-game that's their bread and butter and we'd struggle if we aren't moving the footy cleanly.

Was he? Where was that? Only comment of that ilk I've heard from him was that the midfield didn't get their hands dirty.

Thefly38

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal , LA Clippers , Seattle SH
Unfortunately, that’s the impression I got too.

I really think we are doing the team an injustice not playing him.

Yeah I really rate him , their must be something he’s doing that they are unhappy with as there’s no talk around him at all , I didn’t think he had locked in best 22 but I definitely would have thought him a lock if greenwood and Adams were not in the side. With those two not playing last week I honestly thought he would be in the first handful picked

RGpies

Team Captain
Dec 4, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Houli to miss apparently. Big outs in their back line with rance and houli missing. No doubt Richmond are well coached and will still be tough to beat but we must capitalise on these outs of theirs.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Post match presser he spoke a fair bit about the amount of turnovers in our back half, spoke a bit about lack of cohesion etc. He pretty much attributed the loss to this at the time.

Cheers. I see that as a comment about our transition and work rate rather than a knock on the defence but can understand how it might be interpreted that way.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Since there isn't a preview thread for the game.

That's a big out for them. When did he experience this tightness I wonder? Before or after he flew to NZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back