Prediction Changes vs WCE ~ Round 3 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we will desperately miss Varcoes 2 possessions and 1.5 tackles per half... devastating. Varcoe has been woeful so far in 2019, rightfully dropped.
Woeful is an exaggeration

I am a bit surprised about Varcoe getting dropped.Yes,he has had two quiet games so far,but I think he’s got enough credits in the bank from last year to keep his spot,for a while longer anyway.

He has the one thing that this side really lacks,which is speed.We do have a lot of plodders in the side like Phillips,Mayne,Aish etc.Thomas isn’t overly quick either.But Varcoe’s closing speed is elite.No opposition player can ever feel safe with the ball if Varcoe is anywhere in the vicinity.He’s the best we have at chasing down opposition players.

I would have dropped one of the plod squad before I dropped him.
What credits does varcoe have? He wasnt even good in 2018, was a passenger most weeks but most on this board give him a free pass because he tackles roughly or something. Played nearly every game in 2018 and didnt even come top 10 in the BnF, very poor for a senior player who didnt have injuries.

What credits does varcoe have? He wasnt even good in 2018, was a passenger most weeks but most on this board give him a free pass because he tackles roughly or something. Played nearly every game in 2018 and didnt even come top 10 in the BnF, very poor for a senior player who didnt have injuries.
Take it easy champ

2 touches and 1 tackle in a half of footy is woeful for a senior experienced player, imo.

............it’s a team sport Kappa.

Would you have preferred to lose by one point last week and Varcoe score 10 goals?

Whoever got dropped this week was stiff IMO no need to gloat like some tonight.

Varcoe adds a lot when he is up and about but he was definitely in the gun after the last two weeks. I don't understand why his game time is always so damn low. In theory he should be a 90%+ game time player considering how infrequently you see him involved in play. His main game is defensive burst pressure, there's huge periods of the game where he just isn't sighted so is he unfit or just running to the wrong areas? Why does he struggle to get into the game so much?

I'm not too phased if we move on from Varcoe when WHE is back, but I think on the whole we really lack pace so it's a bit surprising to see Varcoe go now.

............it’s a team sport Kappa.

Would you have preferred to lose by one point last week and Varcoe score 10 goals?

Whoever got dropped this week was stiff IMO no need to gloat like some tonight.
I would prefer our senior players to have a positive contribution to the team on game day, something Varcoe has rarely done in the past 18 months.

I would prefer our senior players to have a positive contribution to the team on game day, something Varcoe has rarely done in the past 18 months.

Your prejudice is noted.

Why is everyone moaning about Varcoe being dropped?! If you don’t play well you are dropped! That’s the beauty of competition for spots, Carcs has done nothing for 2 weeks-out.
Aish was more than serviceable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not top 10, therefore not best 22. Magnificent logic.

Your prejudice is noted.
I would say that judging a person based on their performances is closer to the exact opposite of prejudice but each to their own I guess.
He got us rolling on grand final day. He started off a run of goals that almost led us to a flag...
Does that mean he had a good year in 2018? Our coaching staff disagree...

I would say that judging a person based on their performances is closer to the exact opposite of prejudice but each to their own I guess.

Does that mean he had a good year in 2018? Our coaching staff disagree...
Please tell us what the coaching staff think of Varcoe.

Not top 10, therefore not best 22. Magnificent logic.
At no point did I ever say that, terrible strawman argument / magnificant comprehension. I was pointing out that Varcoe having a good year in 2018 was a myth, he was actually a passenger more weeks than not.

Reckon we’ve made the right selections for this week.
I suspect Bucks and co-selectors are reluctant to fiddle with the back 7 coming up against a well drilled and reasonably stable opposition.
Greenwood is often pigeonholed as just a tagger but he gets quite a bit of it himself. Was one of our best against WCE last time around to my memory.
I love what Varcoe brings to the team but unlike when at his best last year he’s not kicking goals.
I think Adams and Thomas rotating mid/fwd roles (especially as Adams gains match fitness) along with Stephenson and Elliott ( forgot how fast Elliott is) putting pressure on covers a lot of what Trav is bringing at the moment.

Varcoe doesnt need to kick goals, De Goey and Elliott are doing a good job of that. What we need is chasing, tackling and general selfless play.

We’ve got plenty of guys who can get 30pos, you also need defensive guys who can fill holes that other players leave when they run forward. Varcoe fills those holes, chases and makes big tackles. It’s a mistake to drop him

Round 2:

Varcoe: 0 goals, 0 behinds, 5 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 94 meters gained, 0 turnovers

JT: 1 goal, 0 behinds, 16 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 242 meters gained, 5 turnovers

Sure, 5 turnovers versus 0 isn’t good, but it’s easy to have 0 turnovers when you only touch the ball 5 times.

And of course stats aren’t everything, but that’s a big discrapancy there.

I'm a massive JT fan - but I think Varcoe has a point-of-difference in our side, whereas with Adams back in we don't need JT for midfield rotations, and he seems the more logical one to fall out for team balance, with a hint of performance also considered. Like I said, anyone who was dropped was going to be unlucky. JT will need to step up defensively inside 50.

Did you miss the last half of last year?

Based on the BnF votes and him being dropped this week its probably similar to what I think, he isnt doing enough for a senior player.
You said earlier that he played 22 games last year. Why would coaches select him if they thought he wasn’t good or needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back