Prediction Changes vs WCE ~ Round 3 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s really not that great.

With the exception of Varcoe the names I see us listing as emergencies each week don’t inspire me with confidence.
But there’s a lot of soldiers, medium level talent to take spots as they come.

That’s all you can ask from players who are not in the best team constantly.

So, compared the 2018 GF side, this week we're going in with:
OUT WHE, Sier, Varcoe, Goldsack
IN Elliott, Beams, Moore, Roughead

On a like-for-like basis that looks like a clear win across the board:
Elliott > WHE
Beams > Sier
Moore > Varcoe
Roughead > Goldsack

The WCE team is strengthened by return of Gaff but generally looks equivalent to what they fielded in the GF.

It all adds up to a Pies win, by 3-4 goals..

Don't understand why Sidebottom doesn't launch into the pill more.. he can catch the opposition off guard cause they're expecting him to pinpoint these 15-40 meter passes.. what goes unnoticed a bit I reckon re is that the bloke has a decent roost.. should be looking at options further up the ground more I reckon re..

F stride out and lay into it re..

Just have a look at his bomb in the 2nd outside 50.. 55 out the bloke hits the fence.

Outstanding player by the way.. just an observation.
Sidebottom’s decision making was a little frustrating last week I reckon.
At one point he had an open De Goey leading up right at him inside 50 & he ignored him & centred the ball to a contest we were not going to win. Then as you say he had a shot from the boundary on the run from outside 50 when players were making position for him. Usually makes great decisions but last week left me scratching my head.
He isn’t in great form so far. Early days though.

He really isn’t.

What measure brings you to that conclusion?

Roughy is younger than Keeffe, has played more games, beats Keeffe in just about every relevant statistical measure.

Pre doing the knee in 2012 Keeffe was showing the potential to be a more than handy KPD but there's been little of that since.

He really isn’t.

I generally like your stuff Mike, but this is a stinky call! I don’t rate either all that highly, but Roughead is head and shoulders above Keeffe who’s lucky to still be in the system, IMO.

Elliott > WHE
Beams > Sier
Moore > Varcoe
Roughead > Goldsack

The WCE team is strengthened by return of Gaff but generally looks equivalent to what they fielded in the GF.

I'm sad Venables is out after his GF performance.

I generally like your stuff Mike, but this is a stinky call! I don’t rate either all that highly, but Roughead is head and shoulders above Keeffe who’s lucky to still be in the system, IMO.
At this point I agree Keeffe is lucky to be in the system. Don’t know how he managed to convince the footballing world he can play other roles and is versatile. But I haven’t seen anything from Roughead as a defender to suggest he’s much better.

Elliott > WHE
Beams > Sier
Moore > Varcoe
Roughead > Goldsack

Sounds good to me, although I'm not convinced on Roughhead over Goldsack.

What measure brings you to that conclusion?

Roughy is younger than Keeffe, has played more games, beats Keeffe in just about every relevant statistical measure.

Pre doing the knee in 2012 Keeffe was showing the potential to be a more than handy KPD but there's been little of that since.
I thought Keeffe showed a bit after his knee as well as a defender. But Roughead has racked up allot of games playing in the ruck which I agree he’s much better in that role as he can actually play that role competently. As a defender I haven’t seen anything from Roughead suggest he’s streets ahead of Keeffe yet.

Sounds good to me, although I'm not convinced on Roughhead over Goldsack.
You make a good point, I probably should have gone with Roughead = Goldsack, rather than Roughead > Goldsack. Although, Roughead is physically bigger than Goldsack, which will be helpful against Kennedy, Darling and Vardy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is all this negative talk about Roughead? I reckon he has done a great job so far as a key defender! Big test tomorrow night obviously but I will back him in!
The main critique is him getting exposed on the lead.

I think its something thats going to happen, but will mostly get negated due to our quality intercept players.

Its only early days and he isnt super experienced down back so his positioning may improve as the year progresses.

I'm sad Venables is out after his GF performance.
I think he cost us a World Cup spot too and didn’t help the Socceroos enough either.

I thought Keeffe showed a bit after his knee as well as a defender. But Roughead has racked up allot of games playing in the ruck which I agree he’s much better in that role as he can actually play that role competently. As a defender I haven’t seen anything from Roughead suggest he’s streets ahead of Keeffe yet.

He played ruck at dogs because they had nothing else

Slaughtered brown ( lions) and many others

Perfect position for him is fullback

Already two games in and has 2 scalps

Still learning our system and the boys trust him

He played ruck at dogs because they had nothing else

Slaughtered brown ( lions) and many others

Perfect position for him is fullback

Already two games in and has 2 scalps

Still learning our system and the boys trust him

Interesting. I would have thought all of Minson, Hudson and Campbell (off the top of my head) would have been there over his time at the Doggies. Boyd and English added later. I think he'd been recruited as a ruck but they re-invented him as a KPD because he was struggling early with his ruckwork. It wasn't until Minson started having a few injury/form issues, and Roughy had built a bit of size, that they threw him back into the ruck.

Doggies supporters might be able to clarify for us.

I thought the same, but if he plays Varcoe's role rather than midfield, i think it's a good move.

I doubt we'll see Adams too far away from the midfield rotations unless he runs out of steam late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back