Opinion Changes vs WCE

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about trying Bell down back? I reckon he is strong enough to play on a taller player.
I don't know that you want a massacrer of the ball coming out of the defensive 50. Well, another one.

Walker, Paps, Lester, Green and Bestmode for the ins

Outs- Martin, Jansen, Keays, Robertson and Bell

If Green is not ready then Keays can keep his spot.

I'd reconsider Jansen. I hadn't seem him live before and his reports had been mixed so I wasn't sure about him. I gave up on the game about half way during the 2nd qtr and decided to just watch individual players last night. I watched Jansen for most of the 3rd qtr and was fairly impressed with him tbh. He didn't get a lot of it in terms of disposals but I saw that he was really pretty good at the contest with little inputs to impact, and he seemed to work quite hard to get to the right places. He didn't seem overly panicked about jumping in and contesting and perhaps at times he could have got in there a little more but it did seem like he was making judgement about where he was most needed. He had 7 tackles. I'd be happy for him to get another run.

West is outplaying Martin at the moment.

IN: CBeams, Paparone, Mathieson, Lester
OUT: Rockliff, Merrett, Bell, Keayes

Rockliff is not leading or playing well. Loopy kicks, playing for frees, looking dejected...

outs- keays (managed) schache (managed) bell (omitted) merrett (omitted) martin (omitted)

ins- matheison, walker, paparone, freeman, lester.

Gotta check concussion I think... But why the hell not? He'll have a crack.

Been a lot better the last few weeks in the ressies but still no where near AFL level. I feel bringing him in this year will only embarrass the kid. Still would like us to hang onto him for another year or two, slowly coming around to think he might be able to make it at AFL level.

Been a lot better the last few weeks in the ressies but still no where near AFL level. I feel bringing him in this year will only embarrass the kid. Still would like us to hang onto him for another year or two, slowly coming around to think he might be able to make it at AFL level.

I think he'll have to be on the senior list as he's had 3 years on the rookie list ... unless that list is changed/abandoned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am going against the much of the prevailing wisdom (bah...who am I kidding, like any of us have wisdom at this point). I would like to see Keays and Robertson stay in.

I just think games into them helps us more in the long term than the short term but the short term is gloomy to say the least. So let's play for the long term benefit.

I am going against the much of the prevailing wisdom (bah...who am I kidding, like any of us have wisdom at this point). I would like to see Keays and Robertson stay in.

I just think games into them helps us more in the long term than the short term but the short term is gloomy to say the least. So let's play for the long term benefit.

Keays has long-term potential. Robertson doesn't.
Prefer Mathieson back in.

I'd keep Robertson in the side. Of his four games this season, one was against last year's premiers and another was against last year's minor premiers, and he got 22 disposals in both. The other two games were 10 goal losses in which pretty much nothing went right for anyone at our club. He misses targets, gets caught with the ball, makes bad decisions, sure, but to my eyes he's trying really, really hard to compete: so hard, that perhaps he's trying too hard. I say give him an extended run in the firsts to see what happens if and when the shock of playing at AFL level subsides. Maybe then the panic attacks, brain fades, and sheer nervousness subside too. And if not, what have we lost by giving him a go? It's not like we've got Patrick Dangerfield in the twos, is it.

I'd keep Robertson in the side. Of his four games this season, one was against last year's premiers and another was against last year's minor premiers, and he got 22 disposals in both. The other two games were 10 goal losses in which pretty much nothing went right for anyone at our club. He misses targets, gets caught with the ball, makes bad decisions, sure, but to my eyes he's trying really, really hard to compete: so hard, that perhaps he's trying too hard. I say give him an extended run in the firsts to see what happens if and when the shock of playing at AFL level subsides. Maybe then the panic attacks, brain fades, and sheer nervousness subside too. And if not, what have we lost by giving him a go? It's not like we've got Patrick Dangerfield in the twos, is it.

I ended up watching Robertson quite closely after he had a shocking first quarter (mostly because I was yelling at the screen and he was getting the brunt of my anger) and it almost looks like he needs a valium before he runs onto the field.
He has a lot of the right the tools to be a very good AFL player. Athletically he's very good being strong, quick, a good size and a very good runner. Seems to read the ball in the air well and be quite good overhead using his size as a midfielders to decent advantage. His kicking is pretty reliable and he didn't miss many targets compared to his team mates. It's also usually very flat with not many loopy kicks. Great attack at the footy and he has no problem finding it.
The problems he seems to have are that he runs at the footy 100% when trying to pick it up so he often over runs it or fumbles. His handballs are far too hard so while they often go the right team mate it's usually with too much force for them to handle the ball easily so they end up fumbling and under pressure (although a couple times they went to someone already under pressure). He gets drawn to the man with the ball at 100 miles an hour which is why he misses so many tackles and he is one of the main culprits of having 2 or 3 men being drawn to the player with the ball. He also has a rare ability where instead of everything seemingly slowing down when he gets the footy like Pendlebury it speeds up. I think this is because his first choice when he picks it up even when it's on the outskirts of a pack is to sprint straight back into it and try and bust out the other side which is why he's often caught holding the footy. He also tries to fend off far to often rather than accepting he's going to get tackled, get his hands in the air so their free and give a handball to a teammate. He's strong enough to stand up in the tackle and do this.
Everything above he can work on in the reserves. I'd tell him I never want to see him sprint the entire game, if his GPS numbers show he is then he's doing something wrong. Even going at 90% he's still probably quicker then a lot of our players and certainly some NEAFL players. To try and cover lose men on the outside of the contest and leave the man with the ball to his team mates unless absolutely necessary. If his handballs aren't looping and on a downward trajectory by the time his team mate receives it he's doing it wrong. When he gets the ball to run away from the contest and even to stand still for a second before moving, might get him caught a few times but he's usually got more time then he thinks and it should help with his decision making with where to go and who to give it to. And lastly that I never want to see him try and fend someone off. Get his hands up and dish off a handpass to a teammate.
He's got some pretty unique skills compared with the rest of our side and you can never fault his effort. He just needs to slow down and take a few deep breaths at every opportunity. Have a feeling he will either become a very very good player or bust.

Agree with everything you said, especially this:
I have noticed this seems to be a common trait amongst our players for years now. We seem unable to dispose of the ball quickly,instead attempting to run through packs which has a very low success rate. I'd love to know where we sit in the league on being caught holding the ball.

I have noticed this seems to be a common trait amongst our players for years now. We seem unable to dispose of the ball quickly,instead attempting to run through packs which has a very low success rate. I'd love to know where we sit in the league on being caught holding the ball.

Based off the evidence I think we sit in favour of being caught holding the ball.

In my opinion I think the club should use Freeman as the second ruck - he is still growing but he will be of more use there - ala Tippet - who has been transformed from a full forward to the premier ruckman in the comp - might be a while before we see him again.

He is tall enough and just needs to be taught the fundamentals of rucking around the ground.

I can't see him of much other value while Schache is at full forward & we desperately need a ruckman to compete - not just stand still after they have jumped at the ball.

In my opinion I think the club should use Freeman as the second ruck - he is still growing but he will be of more use there - ala Tippet - who has been transformed from a full forward to the premier ruckman in the comp - might be a while before we see him again.
I think the difference is that Tippet has always had the athleticism and fitness to ruck. Freeman does not. He would need a lot of work to be fit enough to ruck for any length of time.

For me:

Out - Martin, Merrett, Taylor, Bell
In - Walker, Hammelmann, Paparone, Mathieson

Hammer has consistently been in the best in the ressies and deserves a chance.
although i didn't have hammer in my ins i wouldn't mind seeing him given a go, the couple of ressies games i have seen him in he looked pretty good IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back