Preview Changes vs WCE

Remove this Banner Ad

Has a feel of panic about it to me.

Overstatement
I don't think it's a panic because two are forced changes Hogan and hunt, so there's weideman and hibberd then you still have to squeeze in melksham so that's jkh gone. That really only means two changes Pedersen and garlett which I think is justified. Pedersen's career is done so play Kent and I feel hannan puts in more effort than garlett which is almost more important in modern footy

Hannan is the most instinctive forward on our list now. He's very inconsistent but he's more likely to kick a goal from a half chance than anyone else on our list..

If you watch our forward line I reckon we have the slowest hand to foot of all the best sides, guys like Butler Castagna Stephenson Hoskin Elliot Fantasia Menzel Breust Puopolo Wingard etc all can get a goal in a flash of brilliance.

The only player we have capable of doing that is Hannan.
Agree with this in excess of 100%

Hannan is the most instinctive forward on our list now. He's very inconsistent but he's more likely to kick a goal from a half chance than anyone else on our list..

If you watch our forward line I reckon we have the slowest hand to foot of all the best sides, guys like Butler Castagna Stephenson Hoskin Elliot Fantasia Menzel Breust Puopolo Wingard etc all can get a goal in a flash of brilliance.

The only player we have capable of doing that is Hannan.

I feel spargo with more experience can match these guys, and agree with your comments hannan. Quickest hand to foot I’ve seen.

I don't think it's a panic because two are forced changes Hogan and hunt, so there's weideman and hibberd then you still have to squeeze in melksham so that's jkh gone. That really only means two changes Pedersen and garlett which I think is justified. Pedersen's career is done so play Kent and I feel hannan puts in more effort than garlett which is almost more important in modern footy

Hibbers & Melksham for Hunt & Hogan

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

then if that is the case, we are ******

Maybe offer a bit more insight than just “player X is s**t” or we are f@$?!d

Maybe offer a bit more insight than just “player X is s**t” or we are f@$?!d
i have if you bothered to read earlier posts.

Bring in the player in form with his future to play for (Bugg) rather than a vanilla yo-yo player in Hannan

i have if you bothered to read earlier posts.

Bring in the player in form with his future to play for (Bugg) rather than a vanilla yo-yo player in Hannan

Hannan may not dominate games but he is far from vanilla, he has more tricks than bugg.

For mine bugg will take the piss at vfl level but it will not transition to afl level.

Hannan may not dominate games but he is far from vanilla, he has more tricks than bugg.

For mine bugg will take the piss at vfl level but it will not transition to afl level.
Bugg is a stop gap and that gap has been filled. He won’t be on our list next year. He ended his career last year against Sydney. If he had become a better kick at goal, worked harder, became more disciplined, and focused less on his stupid social media profile with Jack Watts, he might have been an ok player.

Hannan as you say, is definitely not a vanilla player, he is opportunistic, fast and works hard in bursts. His issue is his consistency but that can be improved as he develops maturity.

Overstatement

Overstatement
I agree with the panic sentiment. 5 changes is a lot, even with 2 forced. Hibberd and Melksham are immediate upgrades, but I don’t see the other 3 brought in as the caliber of player that immediately improves the team. Kent maybe should be by now, but has missed too much footy the last two years. Feels like Goody will need either Weid or Hannan to play the game of their lives to justify these changes, and for Kent to not get injured. And I don’t see how Spargo is going to be able to kick over 35m this week since he couldn’t last week at the g. A lot doesn’t add up for me, but hey, seems Goody is rolling the dice on this one and I really hope he gets lucky. But I’d like to know the stats on teams over the last decade that have made 4+ changes and won. Feels like panic to me for sure.

5 changes is fine when it's bringing in better players.

The only question is Weideman, the other 4 have proven that their best footy is better than the way the omitted players are going at the moment.

I agree with the panic sentiment. 5 changes is a lot, even with 2 forced. Hibberd and Melksham are immediate upgrades, but I don’t see the other 3 brought in as the caliber of player that immediately improves the team. Kent maybe should be by now, but has missed too much footy the last two years. Feels like Goody will need either Weid or Hannan to play the game of their lives to justify these changes, and for Kent to not get injured. And I don’t see how Spargo is going to be able to kick over 35m this week since he couldn’t last week at the g. A lot doesn’t add up for me, but hey, seems Goody is rolling the dice on this one and I really hope he gets lucky. But I’d like to know the stats on teams over the last decade that have made 4+ changes and won. Feels like panic to me for sure.

I reckon the stats on teams making 5 changes might actually be high - like the % of teams that win the first game with a new coach when the old one is sacked mid season. But maybe I'm just like my old man who thinks the team with the first goal usually loses (as I like to tell him about half the time)

5 changes is usually bad for structure, but Hunt and Pedo were lost on Sunday, Hogan couldn't lead in the second half which killed our entries and Garlett was making no effort to spread or put defensive pressure on. JKH I think was ok for our structure but doesn't offer much overhead.

Melk and Pig improve our experience and structure a lot. Kent is faster than JKH but imo could get lost since he hasn't played AFL since round 5. Hannan will work much harder than Garlett and provide another marking option if needed. Weid is likely to not get many touches, but as long as he leads at the right time he should improve our connection between mids and forwards.

The big worry is that Melk and Pig are underdone, although at this stage most players are carrying niggles so hopefully it won't be an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we think McGovern will stick to TMac or will he float around intercepting?

Weid and AVB need to be on and lead to different areas where the spare defender isn't.

You know what, I've got a good feeling about tomorrow's game I reckon we'll win it.
MFC version of calm before the storm, where you get a little boost of optimism before s**t happens.

Although i reckon where a chance though

This is the sort of game we would win, no pressure everyone's already written us off and away from home.

campaigners
I’ve thought exactly the same ... plus losing the easy one and winning the near impossible one is a very Melbourne move ... gotta keep the fans on the emotional roller coaster

Disagree. Garlett & Pedersen have to go out of the side for this club to progress. There’s no way this is a panicked or rushed move. Pedersen has effort that’s there, but he is just off the pace these days and I feel for him due to that. Garlett is a cherry picking lazy goal sneak that has to have it on his terms or he is useless. He can’t tackle, run defensively or provide any effort to keep the ball in the 50. He is built like stick man and isn’t part of our future.

JKH is stiff but Hannan I rate higher due to his defensive game and ability to create serious scoring chances.

Changes are 100% justified.

Do we think McGovern will stick to TMac or will he float around intercepting?

Weid and AVB need to be on and lead to different areas where the spare defender isn't.
No way he will be confined to a player unless we force him. Best bet is to kick over the zone into space to TMac with our small forwards at the drop. Take away JMcG advantage and force him one on one.

Disagree. Garlett & Pedersen have to go out of the side for this club to progress. There’s no way this is a panicked or rushed move. Pedersen has effort that’s there, but he is just off the pace these days and I feel for him due to that. Garlett is a cherry picking lazy goal sneak that has to have it on his terms or he is useless. He can’t tackle, run defensively or provide any effort to keep the ball in the 50. He is built like stick man and isn’t part of our future.

JKH is stiff but Hannan I rate higher due to his defensive game and ability to create serious scoring chances.

Changes are 100% justified.
Hopefully the pea heart JKH is never seen again and as for the loser of every one on one contests he is in , if he cant stretch his half dozen kicks a game beyond 45 metres get rid too. What other club would trade for these? None...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back