Preview Changes vs WCE

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely you are taking the piss. You must have a low opinion of our team if you think we won't win by a minimum of 80 plus. West coast have been the worst team we have seen for 25 years.

80 points a bit steep. They have only lost by over 70 twice. We should win by between 7-10 goals I would think. Better than that would be a bonus

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bloody hell, I consider myself pretty pessimistic, but even I think we're no danger of losing this. Look at our performances at AO. We've beaten two of the top four here (should've been three if we kicked straight), and look at the Eagles' average losing margin. They turned up for 30 minutes last week but still lost by 10 goals.

If we lose, then Nicks should get sacked before the press conference, but losing won't happen. Darling in doesn't reverse this, and I don't count Shuey because he's cooked.

If we're expecting Sholl to do those things to any great extent, that's a failure of the players around him. It would be like expecting Butts to play as a key forward and kick goals. It's not what he does.

Nobody has a side full of Petracca types that can do everything.
This is true but if you provide next to nothing physically then you have to be pretty bloody damaging with the ball. I don’t think he’ll ever get there. I wouldn’t persist with him.

80 points a bit steep. They have only lost by over 70 twice. We should win by between 7-10 goals I would think. Better than that would be a bonus

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last 2 losses 9 and 10 goals playing at home. 2 x 100+ point drubbing the last 6 rounds, the last away game was 116 point loss to Hawks. 7 goals, weather permitting, is an exceedingly low bar.

I'm similar. I don't see Sholl shirking contact, letting people run off him etc. But it's such a huge bugbear here I'm wondering if I just have rose coloured glasses?

My recent memory of him is more actions like this:

Went into a contested situation, rode the contact, kicked a goal.

Or backing into defence to take a mark in the Showdown (then cop a BS free kick).

Yep, I don't think Sholl avoids physical contact, he's just a smaller player and is not an elite tackler, and probably never will be. He's an outside player who is in the side for his running capacity and disposal, and should be primarily judged on those attributes. That said, he's gone from 1 tackle a game for his career to 2.4 this year which is similar numbers to Pedlar, Jones and Smith, who aren't players who are afraid of tackling. He's just not that great at it.

As long as he's putting in work on the tackling side, you aren't expecting him to be a beast in that area, and sometimes he is going to get beaten by bigger players. Given that not every player is a star in every area, if you aren't willing to accept some tradeoffs you're looking at a team with big bodied inside midfielders playing on the wing, picked for their tackling ability.

Yep, I don't think Sholl avoids physical contact, he's just a smaller player and is not an elite tackler, and probably never will be. He's an outside player who is in the side for his running capacity and disposal, and should be primarily judged on those attributes. That said, he's gone from 1 tackle a game for his career to 2.4 this year which is similar numbers to Pedlar, Jones and Smith, who aren't players who are afraid of tackling. He's just not that great at it.

As long as he's putting in work on the tackling side, you aren't expecting him to be a beast in that area, and sometimes he is going to get beaten by bigger players. Given that not every player is a star in every area, if you aren't willing to accept some tradeoffs you're looking at a team with big bodied inside midfielders playing on the wing, picked for their tackling ability.

100%.

This board has some weird fascination with Sholl learning to tackle and be physical. Its not his style, strength or what he should be judged on.

He needs to be judged on how much he gets the footy and what he does with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah OK guys, but it's recently cost us about a goal a game, which isn't cheap, when it's almost a minimum requirement to make those defensive tackles. Everyone else does. You know what I'm talking about.

I guess I'm saying, I'm OK with him in the team, we can't have 22 Dawsons, but if someone else comes up with equal skill, but better tackles, they'll overtake him.

100%.

This board has some weird fascination with Sholl learning to tackle and be physical. Its not his style, strength or what he should be judged on.

He needs to be judged against outside players from good teams

He can only be judged against outside players from good teams - when we are a good team.
We'll just keep picking everyone until we are top four so we can see if they're any good

Is he up to being a midfielder in a top four team in your opinion?

Sholls skills are overrated, does a lot of little dinky kicks. Isnt damaging at all
This is the thing for me, you want him breaking lines and using his skills to really cut up the opposition and set up play, but he doesn’t do this anywhere near as much as his skill set should allow for.

We'll just keep picking everyone until we are top four so we can see if they're any good

You are the master of silly statements that have zero substance.

Sholl is an outside player that is in our 17-22 range. Still young, less than 50 games. Don't really see him as keeping anyone else out right now.

If we can improve on him I am all for it. Not against him being dropped, if there is someone else worth playing.

Plenty of others that need to be moved aside before we get to Sholl (Murphy, McHenry, Parnell).

Is he up to being a midfielder in a top four team in your opinion?

Yeah i think he can be. He can be a RAT type player in a good side.

To be honest - he sits amongst the Hinge/Jones/Soligo/Keays/Jones/Milera grouping. All of these players and Sholl at their best deserve to be best 22. At their worst they don't.

Sholls skills are overrated, does a lot of little dinky kicks. Isnt damaging at all

Disagree. I think he has great skills and is actually one of the smartest users at our club. Rarely wastes it.

The biggest knock on Sholl is that is way too big a gap between his best and worst. When he isnt "on" he doesn't impact games and really struggles to work his way back into it. Even his good games he goes missing for big chunks.

I thought he was instrumental in our fast start against Gold Coast - but then went missing.

100%.

So how many goals are kicked against us because of his defensive efforts should be ignored? Football doesn't work that way. Every player needs to defend and attack. Players just waltz through him like he isn't on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back