Status
Not open for further replies.

bingers

Debutant
Mar 12, 2010
Northcote
AFL Club
Melbourne
The tears from West Coast flogs over here about the state of the surface are beautiful. This will play like a wet weather game. Should reduce the impact of Kennedy, Darling and McGovern and suit our contested game. Attack it like Port did and our chaos style might just work this week. Strange feeling we’ll cause a huge upset .

I have a strange feeling that it will be carnage. (Not in a good way.)

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Eagles aren’t playing well. Granted we’ll probably play them back into form but with 5 minutes to go at home they were only 11 points up against the same Gold Coast team we beat on the weekend
And their supporters are the absolute biggest *******s in the country so I dare to dream of walking out of there victorious again

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
My changes for West Coast will sound like the incoherent ramblings of a man with no understanding of the tactical aspects of footy. Which is fine because it’s true.

I want Preuss in for Kielty. I want him at center full forward. I then want Trac and Hunt converging on him at every marking contest because this guy will mark or at least send it to ground. These contests should be as close to goal as possible- they don’t even need to be that precise. Just boot the ball toward the huge sturdy guy. This ought to play right into Bradshaw’s and Oliver’s strengths of booting it long- now just boot it long and aim it for the tall bald head you see sticking up from the crowd.

Unlike many of you I don’t want Trac handling the ball anywhere remotely associated with the midfield or even half full forward. When this clown gets his hands on the ball the hope is it’s somewhere inside 25m and because I don’t even want him attempting to mark, the threat of the dreaded Trac “blank look of death” that he likes to sport anytime he’s lining up a 30m goal attempt that’s destined for an out on the full is significantly mitigated. If he wants to attempt a snap or two from inside 25 after crumbing, then good on him- at least those look reasonably recognizable as far as goal attempts go.

On defense, man marking and get physical. When Eagles go up for marks, give them forearms to the kidneys and ribs. Give them the treatment Port gave Maxy in round one.

Thad’s all I got. I have very little doubt that this strategic masterpiece will make its way to Goody, much like TKs email a few weeks ago, and we will win this one by 50.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Funny thing is we’ve beaten them in Perth twice in the last two seasons, having said that, this looks grim. But who knows, if we can clean up our i50 entries somewhat, we can kick some sort of score, backline is a real worry though, and I think that’s where we will lose.

Eagles by 30 odd for me.

lilJeffyG

Senior List
Mar 3, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Sorry for intruding guys,

But how in this day and age do you get back to back road trips? There are so many different combinations in the draw that could be used, so I find it UNBELIEVABLE that any club should have to have back to back interstate trips.

steve0908

Debutant
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lewis OMac Salem
Jones Frost Hore
Stretch Brayshaw Baker
Hunt TMac Petracca
Garlett Smith Preuss
Gawn Oliver Viney
Fritsch Harmes Lockhart ANB

Last edited:

steve0908

Debutant
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lewis OMac Salem
Jones Frost Hore
Stretch Brayshaw Baker
Hunt TMac Petracca
Garlett Smith Preuss
Gawn Oliver Viney
Fritsch Harmes Lockhart ANB

Five wholsesale changes. Wagner and Kielty omitted with Hibberd and Melksham our with injury. Plus we need to go tall against West Coast with their towering defense. Worth checking out the dual ruck with Tim Smith at full forward offering something given he bagged four against the bombers reserves. Baker looks interesting to as he has been banging down the door at Casey. One more week in the reserves for Weidemen.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Sorry for intruding guys,

But how in this day and age do you get back to back road trips? There are so many different combinations in the draw that could be used, so I find it UNBELIEVABLE that any club should have to have back to back interstate trips.
Melbourne ... thats why. It wouldn't be a MFC fixture without some perplexingly unreasonable fixture quirk. Two years ago we had 3 consecutive 6 day breaks, that culminated in about half our Best 22 ending up on the injury list.

My favourite part of it is tho, it's not just back to back road trips to Sydney and then Adelaide ... It's a trip to ******* Perth!! Off a 6-day break no less.

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Out: Hibberd, Melksham, Lewis, Brayshaw
In: Preuss, Baker, ANB, Smith

Brayshaw’s defensive running is disgraceful. If you need examples of that, look at his efforts during the MacPherson and Powell goals in the third quarter.

Every player should fight tooth and nail to stop the opposition from scoring, even if its only a 1% chance of making a difference. They should play like their lives depend on it. Brayshaw doesn’t care enough. He should be replaced with someone who appreciates getting a spot in the side and will do everything they can to keep it.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Doesn't matter who we bring in, we are going to get pumped. Injury list and poor form really going to be evident for this game
Why the negativity?

Yeah we aren't playing well, but the last 2 week's we have actually defended fairly well for most of the game. Gawn will give us first use, without lycett there to make him his bitch again. Eagles have their injury concerns too, and have hardly set the world on fire- a 4 goal and 3 goal win over suns and saint respectively. This west coast team is nothing like the team that absolutely destroyed us last year. Kennedy and darling are as down on form as McDonald, their smalls are not playing great either, and missing barrass makes mcgovern more accountable. Plus the last 4 week's they have scored 53, 46, 80, 88.

Side note, we've won 6 of last 7 interstate matches, and not saying we are playing at that level either, but I'm pretty confident* our boys will be up for the fight Friday night.

*not at all confident.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Out: Hibberd, Melksham, Lewis, Brayshaw
In: Preuss, Baker, ANB, Smith

Brayshaw’s defensive running is disgraceful. If you need examples of that, look at his efforts during the MacPherson and Powell goals in the third quarter.

Every player should fight tooth and nail to stop the opposition from scoring, even if its only a 1% chance of making a difference. They should play like their lives depend on it. Brayshaw doesn’t care enough. He should be replaced with someone who appreciates getting a spot in the side and will do everything they can to keep it.
Brayshaw won't go out but I agree entirely with your thoughts. Starting to think the brayshaw family are the new Morton's.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
outs- Hibberd (injured), Garlett and Keilty (omit), Melksham and Lewis (injured?)
ins- Weideman, Spargo, ANB (all were rested on the weekend, maybe with the short turn around/travel in mind?), Preuss and C.Wagner

B- Salem OMac J.Wagner
HB- Hunt Frost Hore
C- Stretch Jones Brayshaw
HF- Lockhart Weideman Petracca
F- Preuss TMac ANB
R- Gawn, Oliver, Harmes
int- Viney, C.Wagner, Fritsch, Spargo

I think Garlett and Keilty both have had poor games 2 weeks in a row and deserve to be dropped. I doubt Lewis and Melk get up with the shorter break and travel, but you never know I guess. Stretch needs to show more this week as Baker is about ready to take his spot. Fritsch and maybe Lockhart to help out in defence. its bare bones back there at the moment.
Hore can take Allen, Frost on Darling, OMac on Kennedy, with Max dropping back in front of Kennedy to help out Oscar when he can.

i think we can stretch their defence with Barass out. play Preuss in the goal square as a stationary target and keep TMac and Weid away from him. keep them separated enough so McGovern cant zone and peel off to cover them all. either that or just bring in Bull Smith instead of Weid and use him to essentially tag McGovern so he doesn't get a free run at intercepting. and tell Preuss to put his knee into McGoverns ribs whenever he can. and that campaigner Schofields ribs too while we're at it.
all that and we should be able to limit the loss to under 50 pts :rolleyes:

Stretch, Garlett and Kielty were all liabilities.

Not sure if I'd give Jeffy one more crack or bring Baker in for him.

C Wagner in for Stretch. (Dont think ANB did much in the VFL)

Pruess in for Kielty.

Not sure who TF to cover Hibberd with? Maybe give Jordon a run?

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gotta keep playing Garlett for another few weeks. Been getting to the right spots then fumbling so there's a small chance it will turn. Either way I don't think playing him in the 2s anymore is worthwhile.

Goody has made him too unselfish, similarly with Trac. Needs to be given more of a license and let him play his natural game

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Goody has made him too unselfish, similarly with Trac. Needs to be given more of a license and let him play his natural game

Yeah he looks scared to kick a goal now save for that one snap on boundary. He immediately looks around for a handpass but hes our most instinctive forward. They need to say to him don't worry about kicking 2.5 just get the ball and kick it towards goal.

Hunt isn't a small forward, he is playing his role but he is a straight line not an agile player and he doesn't have that goal sense of a gun small.

Hannan does, but we need Garlett

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah he looks scared to kick a goal now save for that one snap on boundary. He immediately looks around for a handpass but hes our most instinctive forward. They need to say to him don't worry about kicking 2.5 just get the ball and kick it towards goal.

Hunt isn't a small forward, he is playing his role but he is a straight line not an agile player and he doesn't have that goal sense of a gun small.

Hannan does, but we need Garlett

It's an unintended consequence of the 'team first' mantra. All well and good for everyone to get a 'lick of the icecream' but sometimes you just want someone to eat the damn thing. Every team needs a goal hog or two that isn't afraid to back themselves in and kick a snag even if it means burning a player in a 5% better position

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It's an unintended consequence of the 'team first' mantra. All well and good for everyone to get a 'lick of the icecream' but sometimes you just want someone to eat the damn thing. Every team needs a goal hog or two that isn't afraid to back themselves in and kick a snag even if it means burning a player in a 5% better position

Yep the difference between being 'selfish' and 'taking responsibility' is the outcome.

Petracca looks scared of playing footy aswell, Garlett isn't Melksham, get the ball and go for goal son.

lilJeffyG

Senior List
Mar 3, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Melbourne ... thats why. It wouldn't be a MFC fixture without some perplexingly unreasonable fixture quirk. Two years ago we had 3 consecutive 6 day breaks, that culminated in about half our Best 22 ending up on the injury list.

My favourite part of it is tho, it's not just back to back road trips to Sydney and then Adelaide ... It's a trip to ******* Perth!! Off a 6-day break no less.

Understand, although Richmond had it earlier this year, although less brutal only going to Sydney and Adelaide, and Collingwood have it later this year, going to Perts and backing up the following week in Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back