Prediction Changes vs West Coast

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have a watch of this week's game (assuming Gowers is playing). One thing I've started to notice is that just about every single time the ball is on our forward flank, Gowers presents with a lead. Regardless of how many touches he's getting, he is always presenting an option and drawing defenders away from Naughton. He could honestly end up with 0 touches in a game and still have impact. Granted, his form did drop off a lot in the last couple of weeks before being dropped, but early in the season I think he was getting way too much criticism from stat-watchers who don't actually get to see the impact he has off the ball
Unfortunately most will be missed on TV.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/bevo_laughs_off_jim_miller_rumour_names_john_schultz_instead.html

Miller and Schultz earlier today sitting on the plane to Perth (confirm photo current before publishing: editor)
1559276217140.png

Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Poor Lewy Young. Pretty disheartening to get overtaken by a guy who wasn't on the list last week, after showing good form too in multiple positions in the VFL.

This, to me, just exemplifies how much of an unorganized mess we are at the moment.

Sure, Gardner has played for Footscray and he's not a totally unknown entity but it's just wrong.

Throw in Gowers too... you have to be joking. You send a guy to the 2's to find form, he does nothing and gets an instant call up.

Bev/MC losing what credibility they have left choosing this side.

0utsider

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As keen as I am to get an early look at the new toy and see what he's made of, his inclusion this week is a strange one, especially when the decision is made the day after he's joined. Even stranger when you consider we have the bye next week and Carlton the following week, so he could have been given a couple weeks to prepare and a relatively easy (in theory) debut. I'll trust Bev on this one though, I expect he's been preparing to bring him straight in for weeks.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
I don't get why people think Garnder coming straight in is that different to Lloyd coming straight in. Or Duryea, or Crozier, or Trengove, or Gowers, or any number of examples over the years. No one was lamenting Greene/Lynch/Lipinski for missing out over the new blokes. Is it just because there's normally a preseason inbetween picking them up and their debut? If we had drafted him last year and he had been playing VFL up to know would that be so different?

When Footscray signed him it was always with the view of maybe adding him to the senior list later on. Just so happens that this time we didn't have to wait until the end of the year.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When Footscray signed him it was always with the view of maybe adding him to the senior list later on. Just so happens that this time we didn't have to wait until the end of the year.

Exactly, and it's almost certain that in the last month he has been training/playing knowing we'd pick him up in the draft. I don't see any issue with it at all. He's really been on the list for a while it just wasn't official until the mid-season draft, it's not like we picked him up off the street.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Exactly, and it's almost certain that in the last month he has been training/playing knowing we'd pick him up in the draft. I don't see any issue with it at all. He's really been on the list for a while it just wasn't official until the mid-season draft, it's not like we picked him up off the street.
I don’t see an issue with Gardner playing, I just would have liked to see Lew Young as well.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I honestly don’t know what Bevo is doing. It’s like he’s been given a free 5 year reign after winning the flag in 2016. I’m sure a handful of other coaches currently in the AFL would have gotten us those wins against Gold Coast/Carlton and North. I’m not saying we get rid of him, but he’s been shocking the last 18 months, I know we have a young team and injuries here and there, but if you look at the 4 wins we’ve had, and some of the wins late last year, this team ain’t that bad, I really believe he could’ve got more wins out of them this season. We should be 7-3 or 6-4. Instead our season is done in terms of trying to make finals. The place needs an overhaul

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I honestly don’t know what Bevo is doing. It’s like he’s been given a free 5 year reign after winning the flag in 2016. I’m sure a handful of other coaches currently in the AFL would have gotten us those wins against Gold Coast/Carlton and North. I’m not saying we get rid of him, but he’s been shocking the last 18 months, I know we have a young team and injuries here and there, but if you look at the 4 wins we’ve had, and some of the wins late last year, this team ain’t that bad, I really believe he could’ve got more wins out of them this season. We should be 7-3 or 6-4. Instead our season is done in terms of trying to make finals. The place needs an overhaul
Nice melt, you're being a bit dramatic aren't you? Look at the age profile of the group, we aren't that bad when we are playing the way we need to be but getting a team made up of a lot of young players to play the way need week in and week out is very difficult.

Doggies7

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks Manchester City
Gardner, Lachie Young and Gowers in

Wallis, Crozier and Richards out

Tallest team in a long time, interested to see how it looks.

The MSD was reintroduced so that clubs could fill gaps in their list that had opened up during the year. That’s exactly what happened to us (Picken, Boyd) and we’ve used it exactly as it was intended (except we only took 1 new player, not 2).

The premise was always that there are some players in state leagues who are quite a bit better than many of those on AFL lists.

Accordingly it should be no great surprise to see a draftee slot straight in for a senior game.

All the same I’d like to know what the dialogue is between Bevo/MC and each of Schache and Lewis, especially the latter. They are entitled to know where they stand, and what the plans and expectations for them are. I’m pretty sure such discussions will have been taking place in recent days or weeks.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I dont care that Gardner is straight in from the vfl and i highly doubt anyone at the club would.
Pure speculation from the old relic that is terry wallace.

I think we have to face that it is more likely than unlikely that lewie young will go elsewhere at the end of the year.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
The MSD was reintroduced so that clubs could fill gaps in their list that had opened up during the year. That’s exactly what happened to us (Picken, Boyd) and we’ve used it exactly as it was intended.

The premise was always that there are some players in state leagues who are quite a bit better than many of those on AFL lists.

Accordingly it should be no great surprise to see a draftee slot straight in for a senior game.

All the same I’d like to know what the dialogue is between Bevo/MC and each of Schache and Lewis, especially the latter. They are entitled to know where they stand, and what the plans and expectations for them are. I’m pretty sure such discussions will have been taking place in recent days or weeks.
I would assume they do know where they stand.

I think most would be in that boat but I do t think the club or coach has any obligation to disclose.
No I’m not expecting them to. Just saying I wouldn’t mind knowing.

Sorry I even brought it up.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies

Bev sort of went through that in the press conference. Sounds like Schache was told he was in the frame this week, and Young was told he would be a key part of the team for future years as he was only 20. Reading between the lines: Schache is moving in the right direction but is still behinds Naughton and Gardner, and Young will start getting games further along in his development

The MSD was reintroduced so that clubs could fill gaps in their list that had opened up during the year. That’s exactly what happened to us (Picken, Boyd) and we’ve used it exactly as it was intended (except we only took 1 new player, not 2).

I'm pretty sure there has been ongoing discussion and not just in recent days/weeks. Every player on our list will know exactly where they stand.

Edit: sorry should have read subsequent posts before I posted

Last edited:

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We do age and games comparisons
But never weight comparisons.
Are we the lightest team in the history of the game?
Even being taller than we have been the whole season.Eack key position player is about 5 kg lighter than their direct opponent.
Without even looking at the other positions.
Hope we can at least out run them.Turn it into a marathon...

Back