Employment Changing Careers

Hi BF people. Just wondering if anyone out there has done a big career change recently and would like to share your experiences in how you went about it. Things like: what you went from and to, did you retrain, did you start at the bottom and take a pay cut, is the grass greener. Any general advice on how best to make the transition.

Mate I'm going through this right now.

I had a career in mining but then I met the right one, set a date for a wedding... yadda yadda. You know the deal. Couldn't stand that lifestyle anymore and quit my job.

This was last year when I was 28 years old. I've now completed two courses and trying to get into the import/export industry. Having recently graduated I'm finding it very difficult to find an entry-level position. Employment agencies have their own agenda and won't talk to you if you don't have 5 years experience in the specific industry.

I know once I'm in they won't want to lose me! I'm just having trouble getting that opportunity. Perth is tough ATM.

Deliverance How did your career change go?

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I had a career in mining but then I met the right one, set a date for a wedding... yadda yadda. You know the deal. Couldn't stand that lifestyle anymore and quit my job.

This was last year when I was 28 years old. I've now completed two courses and trying to get into the import/export industry. Having recently graduated I'm finding it very difficult to find an entry-level position. Employment agencies have their own agenda and won't talk to you if you don't have 5 years experience in the specific industry.

I know once I'm in they won't want to lose me! I'm just having trouble getting that opportunity. Perth is tough ATM.

Congratulations on all that. Sounds like a few great changes. Good luck with the new career. It definitely seems like a strong industry with so much movement of goods around the world these days. I hear you in regards to agencies. I can't stand them. I've worked with 3 or 4 of them over the last 18 months or so and they did my head in.
As for me. I haven't got to my career change yet. I worked up until May left my job and am now using up my long service leave and spending way too much time on Bigfooty. The plan for the next 6 months is to do 3 things.
1. Relax and live life at a slow pace
2. Get myself fit
3. Travel
I'm relocating with my wife and kids in January. So once the new year starts, I'll start on my new path (i know, this is sounding like it should go in the procrastination thread :oops:)
I would like to get in to environmental science or social justice, but this may require further study. Open to advice from BF members?
If that proves too difficult the other way I'd like to go is to carry on with the simple life and be a postie or a courier. Not sure how easy it is to get in to those jobs??

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not knowing anyone in the industry. I was more throwing it out there if anyone had any insight. It's not a job often spoken about.
I know a guy who did it in London, so may not translate to Australia. Training was "free" as long as you worked for the company for long enough, otherwise you had to pay back the training fees. The initial promised salary was oboy available to people who worked something ridiculous like 6 days a week. With a hefty drop off in salary for those that worked 5 days. Long shifts and shitty customers to boot. He left it as soon as he could.

Gingerbread man

All Australian
Aug 14, 2016
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm currently in the middle of a career change or trying to anyway, been involved in the hospitality industry for 20 years and was looking to move into transport industry, the same as a poster above, always wanted to drive a big truck but was applying for any job that I found that was interesting. Have found it very hard with no experience in transport. But one of the other jobs I applied for was prison officer and I'm currently well into the process only have a physical to go after a 8 week process which included phone interviews, 2 online tests, assessment day, role play, behavioural interview, computer skill testing, my referees were asked questions for 20 min. So fingers crossed and hopefully be seeing some of you blokes soon.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I'm currently in the middle of a career change or trying to anyway, been involved in the hospitality industry for 20 years and was looking to move into transport industry, the same as a poster above, always wanted to drive a big truck but was applying for any job that I found that was interesting. Have found it very hard with no experience in transport. But one of the other jobs I applied for was prison officer and I'm currently well into the process only have a physical to go after a 8 week process which included phone interviews, 2 online tests, assessment day, role play, behavioural interview, computer skill testing, my referees were asked questions for 20 min. So fingers crossed and hopefully be seeing some of you blokes soon.
:D

Not in the NT by any chance? ;)

I knew 2 people who did it. 98% sitting around shuffling paperwork and 2% action

Jul 30, 2008
9th
AFL Club
Richmond

Just out of interest, what sort of courses would help you get into the import/export side of things? Always thought it was something businesses might train staff in, but it'd be a huge industry itself now that I think of it.

Not something often talked about as a career path, but certainly one that you wouldn't think would be getting any smaller.

Just out of interest, what sort of courses would help you get into the import/export side of things? Always thought it was something businesses might train staff in, but it'd be a huge industry itself now that I think of it.

Not something often talked about as a career path, but certainly one that you wouldn't think would be getting any smaller.

Started with Cert 4 International Trade, then into Diploma International Business. These focus on international marketing, international purchasing, logistics etc.

This allows me to go straight to 2nd year of a Business degree at uni. I've decided that I'll get into the industry first, and look at part-time study further down the track. Another three years without work just isn't an option now at 29 years-old.

I've had interviews with two major shipping companies this week and it's looking pretty good at this stage :thumbsu:

We're developing an import company on the side and the coursework certainly helped with that.

Whaturest

Debutant
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have a friend that has totally changed his career, he went from informational technologist to dentist. It was really strange to me, and he told that it actually was quite hard to change everything and to start studying again , but he said it's worth it, if you're sure that you want to do that job.

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
I was in a sales role for 3 years was in a 'trade' previously (arboriculture) for 5 years (out of school) was always looking long term towards a career as a pilot. Went from 85k/company car/phone/laptop when i packed it all in to living on 40k up north flying around the indigenous/mail runs/charter ... Was a big change for me but progressed through and eventually after 4 years up north progressing through several companies onto larger aircraft I managed to snare a job in Melbourne with a domestic carrier.

Sometimes a change is as good as a holiday!
That's an extremely good run through GA! :thumbsu:

BeechedAsBro

Senior List
Apr 17, 2016
Broome
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's an extremely good run through GA! :thumbsu:

Definitely consider myself one of the luckier ones as that's when things were pretty stagnant ! There will be alot of progression over the next few years! QF mainline are actually advertising internally at the moment thru qlink etc ... definitely a good time to throw your hat in the ring

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I have a friend that has totally changed his career, he went from informational technologist to dentist. It was really strange to me, and he told that it actually was quite hard to change everything and to start studying again , but he said it's worth it, if you're sure that you want to do that job.

I have a friend who was a dentist and gave it up. Sick and tired of looking into people's mouth all day. Very depressing.

cammo6556

Cancelled
10k Posts Baghdad Bombers - Sweet F.A. BeanCoiNFT Investor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Oct 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I'm looking at this as a possibility.

A bit about me:
35, married with 3 kids. Wife is a stay at home mum, so there's a huge reliance on me to be the breadwinner. I have worked in real estate, call centres, recruitment, sales but most recently, IT, where I've been for about 4 years. It's become clear that I just may not have what it takes to progress any further than I have in the industry. I have a few health issues that prevent physical labour, so comfy desk work looks to be the only option for me.

Problem is, I'm not qualified in anything and cannot take a pay cut as we'd not be able to pay rent, bills etc.

It's a bit of a bind, and I'm just not sure where to look. I want a reliable income and career progression opportunities but just can't start on a graduate wage.

What jobs would take someone with great soft skills (communication, intelligence etc) without direct industry experience?

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

A bit about me:
35, married with 3 kids. Wife is a stay at home mum, so there's a huge reliance on me to be the breadwinner. I have worked in real estate, call centres, recruitment, sales but most recently, IT, where I've been for about 4 years. It's become clear that I just may not have what it takes to progress any further than I have in the industry. I have a few health issues that prevent physical labour, so comfy desk work looks to be the only option for me.

Problem is, I'm not qualified in anything and cannot take a pay cut as we'd not be able to pay rent, bills etc.

It's a bit of a bind, and I'm just not sure where to look. I want a reliable income and career progression opportunities but just can't start on a graduate wage.

What jobs would take someone with great soft skills (communication, intelligence etc) without direct industry experience?
You need to go back to school and upgrade your skills. If you think it is hard now wait until you approach 50. You become a non person. The only job you will find is self employment which inevitably costs money. This is something you may want to explore now as an option. Good luck.

7zark7

Club Legend
Sep 2, 2004
Napier St
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal

A bit about me:

Metro will be looking for trainee drivers late April. Check their EBA for $$$

Back