Employment Changing Careers

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi BF people. Just wondering if anyone out there has done a big career change recently and would like to share your experiences in how you went about it. Things like: what you went from and to, did you retrain, did you start at the bottom and take a pay cut, is the grass greener. Any general advice on how best to make the transition.

Hi BF people. Just wondering if anyone out there has done a big career change recently and would like to share your experiences in how you went about it. Things like: what you went from and to, did you retrain, did you start at the bottom and take a pay cut, is the grass greener. Any general advice on how best to make the transition.

Am kind of doing this, am saving up some money so if it fails I have a fall back plan. If I was single I would have probably pulled the pin by now and changed things up and if it failed just slept under a bridge for a bit but alas, I still have bills to pay.

Am kind of doing this, am saving up some money so if it fails I have a fall back plan. If I was single I would have probably pulled the pin by now and changed things up and if it failed just slept under a bridge for a bit but alas, I still have bills to pay.
Yeah, same. I'm thinking I might have to start at/near the bottom somwhere and work my way up again.

Not recently, over 8 years ago now.
Graduated bachelor of Economics & Finance and worked for a 5-6 years in financial planning and superannuation etc. Hated it - found it brain-numbingly boring, hated the whole suit & tie corporate bullshit, painfully unnecessary meetings, public transport every day etc.
Got out of it and started my own retail business (building products) and couldn't be happier. Love beng my own boss, making a lot more money etc. No longer depressed when Sunday evenings are upon me :)
Problem is when you're 17-18, you don't really know what you wanna do. You've spent the last 5-6 years thinking about girls, partying and footy. Picking a career doesn't come easy to most and so many of us pick something that sounds good/safe/interesting. It's why I envy people who have a real passion for something.

Im 26, I have a Diploma in Graphic Design, I had a position casual then part time for 2 years, loved it, hated who I who I worked for, wasnt paid correctly and people were smoking inside, took up an IT Trainee-ship to get money and a full time job to settle with my partner at the time, the job was worse, even more depressing, extremely boring, no pleasure from it but better on the health I guess, my partner left me and I am now stuck in a job I hate and regret taking as it made my depression a lot worse. Its a 2 year contract which ends this December, I have been looking for other work for 5 months but noting yet. Ideal job is back in Graphic Design or Photography, I loved doing it just not the conditions. IT is boring and I hate it...

Im 26, I have a Diploma in Graphic Design, I had a position casual then part time for 2 years, loved it, hated who I who I worked for, wasnt paid correctly and people were smoking inside, took up an IT Trainee-ship to get money and a full time job to settle with my partner at the time, the job was worse, even more depressing, extremely boring, no pleasure from it but better on the health I guess, my partner left me and I am now stuck in a job I hate and regret taking as it made my depression a lot worse. Its a 2 year contract which ends this December, I have been looking for other work for 5 months but noting yet. Ideal job is back in Graphic Design or Photography, I loved doing it just not the conditions. IT is boring and I hate it...
Sounds like a bad run, finding the right thing can be tough. Hopefully some GD work comes along for you. :thumbsu:

I finished school and joined the Army after a few months off when my recruit course came up. Spent roughly 11 years there and enjoyed it but ended up being in a desk job due to constant injuries (nothing serious - just bad joints and constant soft tissue issues). It's been great and I enjoyed some air conditioning but started losing the passion and was frustrated to not get on a few deployments. After some soul-searching, I've decided to become a high school history/english teacher and I'm a little over halfway through my undergrad degree. Still have roughly three years of study left due to needing a masters too.

Everything has been going pretty well so far. I thought the main problems I would run into were going to be financial but, as it turns out, the Army reserve has been great for wanting me to work as much as possible around university requirements, so time management has been the biggest issue by far. A full-time study load and working effectively .5-.7 at the same time doesn't leave a lot of time for family.

Sitting down to do up a budget, having a clear understanding of how long a process like mine takes and being willing to sacrifice your previous 'comfort' (financial/time/leisure etc) is key, I think. If you know what you are in for, you can better prepare for it and then deal with issues as they arise.

The most frustrating thing for me is just how busy I am and it means I'm neglecting fitness and friends a little. But it's only for a season.

Currently in a product management role within a relatively large organisation prior to this I was a state sales manager - all at the same organisation.
Been there 10 years now (I'm 28) and moved up the ranks within the business over time. I am on relatively good money as well.

However I have seriously been considering a big career change as I am sick of the corporate / office environment, politics and lifestyle and would like to do something a bit more hands on.
I have been looking into an adult apprenticeship quite seriously and getting close to making a decision.
I have been offered an apprenticeship but I know the money would be just over half of what I am getting now but I feel I may be happier doing something different.

I am actually really scared about making this change but I feel I would be healthier in doing it as my current role is stressing me out and effecting my life more than it should I guess.
I have been in this role for about 6 months but know that it is not going to be something for me in the long run.

Would welcome any advice

What kind of IT work were you doing ? just curious

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not quite career change but I am looking at what career path to take in construction. im currently an jnr estimator/ca for a builder but want to get into developement in the medium term. 2-5 years or so as i've got the tertiary background for it. as such i am currently looking for a new job but need to decide on a more focused estimating or CA role ideally in medium density apartment builds.

I'm probably going to go with a CA role so if anyone has any advice and has taken similar career paths (or has jobs to offer) I'd love to get some feedback.

I was in a sales role for 3 years was in a 'trade' previously (arboriculture) for 5 years (out of school) was always looking long term towards a career as a pilot. Went from 85k/company car/phone/laptop when i packed it all in to living on 40k up north flying around the indigenous/mail runs/charter ... Was a big change for me but progressed through and eventually after 4 years up north progressing through several companies onto larger aircraft I managed to snare a job in Melbourne with a domestic carrier.

Sometimes a change is as good as a holiday!

I did it many years ago, would be near on 20 i reckon
Was working in a s**t deadend job for a companybthat went belly up in 2000
Cement and fibreglass work
It was filthy, s**t money and i actually sustained a back injury that i still have to be careful with.
The girl i was with at the time worked at a winery
She said she coild get me work there during vintage for a month and then after that i hopefilly coild get a job in the wine industry around the local area.

Had three months worth of leave up and took the risk
20 years later im still in the wine industy, even got a diploma paid for although ive never used it
Im only a forklift driver,order packer, container loader etc, but the money is good, i get free wine and spirit every three months and choose my shift
Plus the moneyz pretty good.
Over a grand a week is fine with me if i do the overtime, which is there for 6 months of the year

Would like to change again but im over 40 now and its prob getting too late in the day to do that all again
Besides, good money, 15 mins from work living in the country, free alcohol......who am i kidding

I say if you are young and have no major ties then go for the change
I had no mortgage or car loan when i did it so it was fairly easy to do
Bit different now if i wanted to do it

My career change though a little less dramatic than most was still a big change for me. After playing reasonably high level footy, I missed out on the draft and became resigned to the fact that I wouldn't make a career out of it. Both of my parents are accountants so I was pushed in to the field.

I completed a commerce degree and worked as an accountant fro 6 years. I didn't enjoy and was starting to get a little depressed being stuck doing something I really disliked doing. It got to the point where I stayed up as late as possible on a Sunday night so I could make the most of the time I wasn't working, even if I was doing something as mundane as watching TV.

During my time as an account I purchased a number of properties in Australia and the US and also helped friends and family source properties.

When I decided to make a career change I thought Id try to combine what little I liked about accounting, financial modelling and being involved in key financial decisions with property. It took me a while to find the right role as I was on a pretty decent wage as an accountant and didnt want to drop a lot. Because a lot of my experience was outside of a professional environment I had to convince organisations that my personal experience combined with my accounting experience would hold me in good stead and to take a punt on me for a relatively senior position.

I'm now working as a property Analyst for a government organisation. I look after a Councils $500 million property portfolio and provide advice on acquisitions, disposals, refurbishments and developments.

I've been with the council for a year and a half and I'm building a good base to eventually move in to the private sector working for a developer or fund manager where I'm searching for and recommending acquisitions and disposals on a daily basis.

Highly recommend anyone searching for a career change try to end up doing something they will enjoy doing or you'll be looking for another change in the future and it may be too late. Try to combine what you enjoy doing with something youve had experience in or are good at at the moment so you dont need to start right at the bottom. Easier said than done though

For many years I always had the desire to drive trains. I never really pursued it as for some reason I thought it sounded like a silly idea like a child saying " when I grow up I want to be a train driver".

I have been working in the gas and oil offshore shipping industry for 14 years and in April this year I saw that Metro were having an intake of trainee drivers. I took the plunge. First of all there was a test online with logical reasoning. That was pretty hard and I wasn't sure how I went. Got a phone call a week later and a mini phone interview. I heard nothing for about a month. Then I got invited to an info session where we got told that there were 10,000 applicants. I thought I pretty much had no chance. Then you do the logic test again to make sure you weren't cheating at home. Things got better. I got an invite to the Assessment Centre that involved group interviews, panel interviews, role playing and written assessment. I must have done well as then I was invited to do the psychomotor testing. This is to test reflexes, pressure situations and judgment etc. Being an avid gamer I was pretty decent.

Yesterday I received an email saying that I had got through and will start training at a date yet to be determined this year. I am absolutely stoked especially to be getting a role that was a 1 in 100 chance. (There are 100 trainees)!!!

TL;DR I finally followed my dream and will become a train driver.

For many years I always had the desire to drive trains. I never really pursued it as for some reason I thought it sounded like a silly idea like a child saying " when I grow up I want to be a train driver".

I have been working in the gas and oil offshore shipping industry for 14 years and in April this year I saw that Metro were having an intake of trainee drivers. I took the plunge. First of all there was a test online with logical reasoning. That was pretty hard and I wasn't sure how I went. Got a phone call a week later and a mini phone interview. I heard nothing for about a month. Then I got invited to an info session where we got told that there were 10,000 applicants. I thought I pretty much had no chance. Then you do the logic test again to make sure you weren't cheating at home. Things got better. I got an invite to the Assessment Centre that involved group interviews, panel interviews, role playing and written assessment. I must have done well as then I was invited to do the psychomotor testing. This is to test reflexes, pressure situations and judgment etc. Being an avid gamer I was pretty decent.

Yesterday I received an email saying that I had got through and will start training at a date yet to be determined this year. I am absolutely stoked especially to be getting a role that was a 1 in 100 chance. (There are 100 trainees)!!!

TL;DR I finally followed my dream and will become a train driver.
My cousin has been driving and now training for years. Makes pretty good coin.

not quite career change but I am looking at what career path to take in construction. im currently an jnr estimator/ca for a builder but want to get into developement in the medium term. 2-5 years or so as i've got the tertiary background for it. as such i am currently looking for a new job but need to decide on a more focused estimating or CA role ideally in medium density apartment builds.

I'm probably going to go with a CA role so if anyone has any advice and has taken similar career paths (or has jobs to offer) I'd love to get some feedback.
You say you have the Tertiary but what about on hands tools experience? in my opinion and having spent time with silver arses , the better ones are those who have had some tools background. Especially if you wish to get into development. It does 2 things. One you will know of the shortfalls in your buildings and will catch them early , thereby saving money. You will also have some communication short cuts between you and the Project Manager. Nothing worse than watching eyes glaze over as you start talking about concrete variance etc

I did it many years ago, would be near on 20 i reckon
Was working in a s**t deadend job for a companybthat went belly up in 2000
Cement and fibreglass work
It was filthy, s**t money and i actually sustained a back injury that i still have to be careful with.
The girl i was with at the time worked at a winery
She said she coild get me work there during vintage for a month and then after that i hopefilly coild get a job in the wine industry around the local area.

I say if you are young and have no major ties then go for the change
I had no mortgage or car loan when i did it so it was fairly easy to do
Bit different now if i wanted to do it
Or single and looking for a career change.

I too am looking for a change. Project Manager/Supervisor on Maintenance Projects is ending rapidly. I have deliberately not applied in that area as I am assessing my life. Divorced last year ,kids grown up ( mostly) and taking an opportunity to stretch the body again. Am looking at Grain Harvest. 5-7 months work. Take all the OT and Weekend work available , stash the cash and holiday for 5 months. Long Term I have already seen a job I know I can do next year - Depot Manager country areas. But I just want to get a heads up on how the business works hence the Harvest Work. If I get an interview ( and that shouldn't be a problem ) I know I will get a job.

And if not I also know someone in the Wine Industry - 20 minutes from home and have been given a guaranteed job when I want. Always fallbacks.

Ironically the advert below me now is for a Dip in Counselling. That is another area I have looked at doing but 3-4 years takes me into an age bracket that makes it difficult. I figure I can do general advice giving to the young bucks anyway without the need for a piece of paper ;)

You say you have the Tertiary but what about on hands tools experience? in my opinion and having spent time with silver arses , the better ones are those who have had some tools background. Especially if you wish to get into development. It does 2 things. One you will know of the shortfalls in your buildings and will catch them early , thereby saving money. You will also have some communication short cuts between you and the Project Manager. Nothing worse than watching eyes glaze over as you start talking about concrete variance etc
I could not agree more! I'm anything but blue collar but recognised pretty quickly the advantage of having this sort of experience. Since that last post I've gained employment with a developer builder and am somewhat of a junior 'foremen.' Long hours but I think the learning curve will be worth it and when I'm ready I'm hoping I can shift internally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back