Employment Changing Careers

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone involved in hotel /hospitality type work?

I'm in the middle of a completely different course but am uninspired.
I worked in hospitality for ten years. Started out cleaning, worked my way up to bar work, then onto a bar/bottle shop manager role. Depending on what you want to achieve it can be a great career pathway. From my experience, the money isn't that great, but you can learn new skills, meet a lot of interesting people, where you could set up some contacts. With hospitality my recommendation is that you be willing to be flexible with your time as most jobs are causal. Be willing to be multi skilled, so learn all areas. ie bar, restaurant, bottle shop etc.
Dealing with alcohol, means an RSA, most places also have gaming, so it also means an RSG.
Negatives are: weird hours, split shifts, dealing with intoxicated people, conflicts, having to work weekends and holidays and low pay rates.
Positives are: rapid succession if your willing to apply yourself, learning new skills, meeting new people, if studying, providing income to support you, being able to travel and being able to use skills in other professions.

Back in 2007. Went from working in hospitality for ten years, to doing TA positions, warehousing and security. Currently looking at a new challenge, just not sure yet.

I currently do Social Work for a crime-prevention NFP, and while I love the work I do I'm beginning to realise that financially and security-wise it may not work out long-term.

Does anyone work in a field where they feel they really help people/perform a social good and are able to earn good money as well? For me that doesn't include becoming a Lawyer, Doctor etc as that's beyond my ability.

Any advice appreciated!!

I currently do Social Work for a crime-prevention NFP, and while I love the work I do I'm beginning to realise that financially and security-wise it may not work out long-term.

Does anyone work in a field where they feel they really help people/perform a social good and are able to earn good money as well? For me that doesn't include becoming a Lawyer, Doctor etc as that's beyond my ability.

Any advice appreciated!!
Work for the Dole programs. I was a supervisor and it had its challenges but sometimes its worth it. Having someone go from scared to pick up a drill to putting up walls is great.

There is also the Green Army which offers a similar opportunity to long term unemployed gaining skills in Horticulture.

Work for the Dole programs. I was a supervisor and it had its challenges but sometimes its worth it. Having someone go from scared to pick up a drill to putting up walls is great.

There is also the Green Army which offers a similar opportunity to long term unemployed gaining skills in Horticulture.

Interesting we have those programs too - I have seen opportunities however most of them are contract-based? In particular WFD seems to employ at 6-month intervals.

I am considering going back to Uni to study at a Masters/PhD level and maybe get into academics... however that may take several years.

My friend is a Juvenile Prison Officer and earns over $120k~ per year with penalty rates/overtime work etc. But I don't know if I could do that!

Interesting we have those programs too - I have seen opportunities however most of them are contract-based? In particular WFD seems to employ at 6-month intervals.

I am considering going back to Uni to study at a Masters/PhD level and maybe get into academics... however that may take several years.

My friend is a Juvenile Prison Officer and earns over $120k~ per year with penalty rates/overtime work etc. But I don't know if I could do that!
Yes unfortunately it is contract. I got caught in an end of contract situation coinciding with poor business decisions.

If money is the driver then I cant help. Each job has its risks and rewards that go with that higher earning. I couldn't be a JPO ( would end up on the ABC ;) ) but I have looked at Court Security.

I have been working in marketing in the financial services for the past 5 years and while I enjoy the role I'm finding more and more that I don't have a significant passion for the industry. The peers in my company who are successful are the ones who live and breathe what we do and will read and research in their own time out of pure enjoyment - I just can't see this ever being me.

Where I can see myself having the same love is with wildlife, and doing something meaningful with conservation of animals and their habitat.

If anyone has any advice on how I should initially approach this it would be much appreciated. I have no mortgage, loans or kids and am still in my twenties so have that on my side, however the thought of potentially going back to uni, having study debt, reduced pay and starting all over again is quite daunting.

I have been working in marketing in the financial services for the past 5 years and while I enjoy the role I'm finding more and more that I don't have a significant passion for the industry. The peers in my company who are successful are the ones who live and breathe what we do and will read and research in their own time out of pure enjoyment - I just can't see this ever being me.

Where I can see myself having the same love is with wildlife, and doing something meaningful with conservation of animals and their habitat.

If anyone has any advice on how I should initially approach this it would be much appreciated. I have no mortgage, loans or kids and am still in my twenties so have that on my side, however the thought of potentially going back to uni, having study debt, reduced pay and starting all over again is quite daunting.
Speaking from experience, I was doing something I thoroughly disliked in my early to mid 20s. You might be in a position we’re you don’t so much dislike the work you do though. I can’t even begin to say how much better life is doing something I enjoy.

Helps I get paid well for it but my quality of life is so much better. It’s one of those jobs you describe above in that I’m passionate about it and live even doing it in my own time.

I studied an MBA while working full time to be qualified enough for the role so went in to some decent sized debt. Incredibly happy I’ve done it though

1st thing is to gain a certificate 3 as a minimum in Horticulture and Conservation and Land Management

Horticulture

Land Management

Land Parks and Wildlife

These can lead to Zoo work or Park Ranger areas. Getting into the Zoo can be incestuous but there are ways to do it.

I assume you are in WA so there are vast areas to go to. The best thing to do is while still in your current role is to contact the Zoo and or any wildlife parks in your area or a little out.

1st thing is to gain a certificate 3 as a minimum in Horticulture and Conservation and Land Management

Horticulture

Land Management

Land Parks and Wildlife

These can lead to Zoo work or Park Ranger areas. Getting into the Zoo can be incestuous but there are ways to do it.

I assume you are in WA so there are vast areas to go to. The best thing to do is while still in your current role is to contact the Zoo and or any wildlife parks in your area or a little out.
Thanks so much for this GreyCrow, it's really valuable stuff. I'm actually based in Melbourne currently. Sounds like you may be in an area of work that I would be interested in? If you are it would be great to hear your journey, experiences and advice if you wouldn't mind - happy to do so via PM.

Not a complete change of career, but I'm really struggling to work out how to turn my new-found degree (Grad Dip in Data Analytics, done over a very long time) into employment.

At my age, almost 25 after getting my first degree, trying to get into a grad program isn't really viable. There are plenty of jobs in the field, but my standard CV is geared towards a completely different coding skill-set (very old school procedural language). And all my actua experience is geared towards that. Even the "entry level" data analytics roles want something more senior than uni gives.
I'm no good at "networking" and stuff. One of the reasons I went into coding to begin with is because back then it was a good way to get money avoid the cancer on society known as people.

In typical timing, my contract was cut short due to budget constraints the week of the last exam - so I'd been doing one unit a trimester because of work, and now have neither to go on with.
edit: And, preferably, staying Canberra - I bought a unit early this year and can't be ****ed moving again already unless I really need to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a fourth year high school teacher. Teaching was not my first career but I did a Grad dip. to do so. I enjoy parts of the job like helping others, variety each day, not being just stuck staring at a screen and the holidays allow me to travel which I enjoy. I do though feel a little burnt out as I spend a lot of time still preparing lessons and don't feel as my career has progressed for someone who is quite ambitious.

I have always thought about working in the broadcasting/journalism field as I love news and sport. So I have applied for a course and have an audition to attend to. It obviously depends on how well I do in the audition but I'm in two minds about changing. The past few months have been tough for me mentally as I've had some personal mental health issues and I also have some long term health issues. My work has been quite supportive of me. I'm a little scared of taking the risk as I work a really good school but the curiosity of what might be plays on my mind.

So I unsure of what I should do. Any advice?

Not a complete change of career, but I'm really struggling to work out how to turn my new-found degree (Grad Dip in Data Analytics, done over a very long time) into employment.

At my age, almost 25 after getting my first degree, trying to get into a grad program isn't really viable. There are plenty of jobs in the field, but my standard CV is geared towards a completely different coding skill-set (very old school procedural language). And all my actua experience is geared towards that. Even the "entry level" data analytics roles want something more senior than uni gives.

I'm no good at "networking" and stuff. One of the reasons I went into coding to begin with is because back then it was a good way to get money avoid the cancer on society known as people.

In typical timing, my contract was cut short due to budget constraints the week of the last exam - so I'd been doing one unit a trimester because of work, and now have neither to go on with.

edit: And, preferably, staying Canberra - I bought a unit early this year and can't be f’ed moving again already unless I really need to.
Have you looked into more data engineering type roles? DE is less sexy than data analytics, but would leverage both your data analytics degree and your background in traditional programming fundamentals. Any lack of SME experience or 'soft skills' also becomes less critical.

Having a data engineer with a really good understanding of the analytics process is critical for most data teams, and they're really hard to find. When you find them, they become really indispensable.

Anyone a Landscaper or in the trades and services who has an opinion.

Is it dog s**t trade, respectable or god tier?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back